Multihull Footy

You mean like the L’Hydroplaneur? That would be interesting.

Actually, all of my future boats will all use the same rigs. Weather mono, cat, or tri. Similar to the green rig on my last boat, but will plug and play more easily, with the re-finements planned.

The “A” will be the 12" tall rig, the “B” will be the 18" rig, and the “C”, will be the 24" rig. Maybe a 30" just in case.

I was thinking more like a Hobie tri-foiler for a dual rig.

Two Mac-rigs might work…

That would be interesting! But L’Hydroplaneur is about the same idea too.

Do you think you could test that on a mono-hull? Make a basic hull with square/flat bottom ( like a scow, or just carve a block of construction foam) and put the two rigs on a crossbeam, one off each side. Maybe an r/c rudder only. and a fixed sheet.

The reason I thought of the dual rigs would be to keep the boat more balanced becaue of the narrow beam, and if two rigs on a mono-hull could stay up without the use of extra (or any, if possible) ballast then it should be even better on a cat or tri.

Here’s some newer pics. I use the primered plug to sketch ideas on. On the proto, there will many mounting places for the rig, and daggerboards, as well as different daggerboards to try (want to try them curved ones that are on the big tris), just to see what happens.

:zbeer:

Really great looking design!!

If you biuld molds I am very up on buying a set of parts!!!

you have gift nigel…thats for sure…

Nice work Nigel. For an ugly cat, that sure looks good! :wink:

Thank y’all fer yer praise, but my designs are inspired from all the shapes that I like, from other shapes that exist.

If it works, then yes, product will be available. If not, carve something else.

Got some mono carvings on the go also. It’s nothing to carve a 1-foot piece of foam (I’m encouraging y’all as well):devil3:

If I get time for it (ya right), I want to make a nightmare tri in footy size. I received the plans for a buddy to make in it’s full size, but I may make one up too. If any others here have recieved the nighhtmare plans, I encourage ya’s to make a footy one also.

Keep experimenting gang

Nigel-
Do you propose that your multihull will fit in the Footy box, or is it just going to be a foot long?

thx

I believe it will fit into the “cubic footy box” – I think earlier you said Nigel that the boat was 12" LOA and 9" max beam? Although, I suppose if you took a loose interpretation of the “box top” and decided that the box was, 12 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 6 inches deep… laughs somehow, i don’t think that would fly though.

Yep. 12" x 12" x 12" multi box.

The hull beam is actually 11". The 9" is center to center.

Nearly have the proto plug ready to make the proto flash mold. Then I’ll work on a working proto. Spring is going to sneak up fast I imagine.

Love it!!
Make me a set of FG splashes, I’ll get 'em n the water!!!

Really, I charter big cats all the time, your design sooo sweet looking!

Paypal is cocked and ready!

Planning on sailing untested hulls already? Keep in mind nobody has figured out how to rig & sail something this small. I even suggested a twin rig.

Is there any more information about the curved fins on the cats?

thx

These guys make them:

http://scheurer.design.officelive.com/ACatCBlades.aspx

I keep wondering if youd need a daggerboard at all… There needs to be some boats built first.
thx

You will need daggerboards or at least “skegs” to go to weather at all.
Cruising cats have 'keels" which extend 18"+ under the boat and generrally 4 times that length.

If the hulls were asymetrical you may get my without anything but still have a “slider” at low speeds.

This would be the coolest footy to take on my sailing vacations!

Eh gang. A bit more progress with some prototypes.

In between build, I have been monkeying with these (Attached).

I’m waiting for some honeycomb to show up, then I can make a bridgedeck to join the sponsons.

An earlier prototype is nearly done as well. When it is, I’ll upload some pics, then, she’ll be off for testing.

mmm… carbon footy cat? Sexy!

-Rick

As noted - you have two choices to induce lateral resistance:

1. assymetric shaped hulls (Hobie 16 and Prindle) where hull sides a flat and act in conjunction with rudder to provide lateral resistance.

2. daggerboards (centerboards) that extend well below the hull to provide lateral resistance, directional stability, and better windward performance

The attached photo of a Formula17 shows the relationship (height) of dagger boards. When pushed all the way down, the amount of board above hull in photo drops down to provide needed lateral resistance. Add in the rudders and these newer designs easily eliminate the old suggest saying “multihulls can’t sail to weather!”