Mini40 RC Trimaran 'FireDragon' - Onboard Video Clips

Hi all,
today I sailed my ‘FireDragon’ in strong winds gusting more than 50km/h with my new onboard camera.
I have changed the camera to a position more aft. You can see the foil at work now. Here are two clips:

//youtu.be/Fx3qD5Lmya0

//youtu.be/LCzd2ByMDQs

Enjoy watching
Roland

Hi Folks,
as I promised you yesterday, here is a capsize clip of my Mini40 RC Trimaran ‘FireDragon’ with a slightly changed viewport.
The clip is uncut: capsize - rescue -sailing on

//youtu.be/M3J9JxgTCWM

Have fun watching

Roland

hI Roland, these are great footage of your firedragon mini40. do you have a pic of how you mounted the camera ? curious to see how you did it cos it seems a good bit behind the boat and not so much vibrations - it seems solid…

Thanks again for the videos - really enjoyed them. love the uncut version with the capsize - it seemed to be a sudden gust as you were not going that fast, were you bearing away ?
G.

PS do you have any close up on how you fixed your foils on the foats as I’m trying to retro fit some on my old Mini40 Cobra as she’s too slim in volume at her bow - what angle and lenght are your foils ?

Cheers,
Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,
sorry I did not shoot a photo of the ugly cam mount. Anyway it is easy to explain without a pic.
I use two lengths of aluminum tube (old IOM masts) attached to the beam mounts at the boat
and joined at the camera mount. The cam is about 1m behind the boat.
I have some more clips currently uploading to YouTube.
My foils are fitted in an 45 deg angle and are 32cm long each. I found a picture of one of my easy to do beam mounts (my FireDragon uses a machined aluminum block)

Well the wind at the place I sail is not constantly blowing it is light with a series of short but strong gusts - not exactly what we need to foil. Capsizing is rare but with the No.1 sail in a gust of 45km/h it sometimes happens. A capsize is really refreshing - our waters have around 26 deg the whole year and air temp is more than 30 deg.

Good luck with your foil conversion - don’t forget to post your experiences here

Cheers
Roland

Hi Roland, don’t have a specific thread going re the work on my RC boat at the moment - maybe I should but my updates would be quite eratic as I’m busy at home keeping my 2 kids busy so I only get a little work done at a time - like today for example I cut the cf part I moulded yesterday and cut a piece of durit to cover the boat stand I varnished yesterday for the MM I just finished building for my son. and that’s it - couldn’t do more. Maybe I should nonetheless.

anyway here is the link to some pics of my Cobra mini40 I am restauring at the moment.
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6662-how-to-get-the-exact-shape-of-the-section-of-a-completed-hull/page2
Now that the rig is finished and I’m happy with it I am working on the electrics and sheeting system. In the pipeline is the work to add foils to the floats then.

Enjoy,
Gilbert

PS I envy you here capsizing is a bloody shock as the water is rather cold though a bit warmer here in the East of Ireland then on the West coast where it is the Atlantic. And even our outside temp is no 26 right now - rather 18-22 at the moment where it should be 22-26 at this time of year.

Hi Gilbert,
your Cobra looks cool - would be great to see her perform on a clip as soon as she is ready.
I have been uploading of two more on board clips from my last sailing day.

//youtu.be/SlMXW5wslcU

//youtu.be/pt3nrRHKzmc

Enjoy watching

Roland