Micro Magic.

Any one like to comment on the Micro Magic class which seems to be taking the world by storm?

http://www.magicmicro.org/news.php is essential reading. What is perhaps peculiar to the MM class is the number of full-size dinghy sailors it attracts.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a Micro Magic kit from our local Graupner importer which arrived a few weeks ago and I put together over a two week period.
The maiden voyage was on Easter Sunday in ideal conditions of 3-4 knots breeze, sunny and warm.
She sails very well, is nicely balanced with a good turn of speed and no vices.
Very small against the IOMs and AC15s of our club but easy to transport and handle.
Not yet named or decorated, that will happen in the near future.
A couple of pictures to show you the size.

Ian, I had a quick sail the other day. I thought they were a bit tricky to get in the groove. Malolm Kampe from Radio Yacht Supplies Australia is a member of our club here on the Gold Coast, is distributing them here in Oz. He had one available for a test sail. They are very tunable apparently but sure are practical (throw them on the back of the car). Have you checked the huge numbers of entries in European regattas? I think they’ll be big here.

Tony Fannin

Yes Tony they are in huge numbers in Germany and Holland.
Registrations have just reached 133 in Great Britain.
The size makes them very practical for smaller bodies of water and as you say the fact that one can live fully rigged in the boot (trunk) of your car makes for appeal.
In New Zealand we have a similar sized craft called an “Electron” designed by Des Townson which has around 1200 sailing. http://www.electron-yachting.co.ck/boat_and_creator.htm

The trouble with the Electron as far as I am concerned is that it is such a strict one design that only parts supplied by Townson are allowed and he charges like a wounded bull for new boats or parts to repair older boats.

New boats with radio cost around NZ $2750.00 which makes the cost of a Micro Magic kit at $350 seem great value.
Plus the MM can use your existing radio and there is enough freedom to allow tweeks without getting away from the one design principals.
A mate of mine in Christchurch has expressed an interest in building a Micro Magic so I now need to enthuse a couple more of our local club members and we are away laughing. :lol:

Is that YOU in the photo ?

Damn fine looking gentleman ! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,
what is to say about a MicroMagic …

It is a nice little sailboat, which sails quite well. Much better than one would expect!
Two versions are available - the old “classic” original and the slightly modified new “racing” version.

The kit of the racing version is better equipped. Carbon fiber rigg, new fittings, better sails, jib trimming. The shape of the hull is slightly modified at bow and stern, but experince shows that this does not influence the sailing properties. The “racing” is interesting because the kit contains nearly all changes you have to make with the “classic” version to make a good racing boat.

One design - there is a lot of discussion about the different rules. In Germany we have a relatively “open” rule, which allows a lot of modifications and experiments (most of them have proofed more less not necessary and the most useful ones are now included in the “racing” kit). The Dutch people have introduced the first “so-called” one design rule, which is more or less also an “open” rule but with other regulations the the German one. In the moment a new, international “one-design” rule is under discussion. I fear, this will become the next different version of an “open” type rule …

I am sailing a classic MM under the German rules. My experiences are

• don’t use shrouds or at least don’t use spreaders. It minimizes the risk of being caught by another rigg during racing (But you will need a carbon mast!)
  • Be sure to have good sails. The old classic kit has terrible sails made of spinnaker nylon. The racing kits and the newer classic kit have sails made from spinnaker polyester, but the quality differs a lot.
  • Playing around with the keel is the most promising tuning measure. For the classic - move the keel 5mm aft or replace the fin by the racing fin which can be fixed in three different positions
  • Make additional keels - it is better to use heavier bulbs instead of reducing sail area in strong winds. In Germany bulb weights up to 600g are used. I would recommend a set of three keels. 380g bulb weight (front position) for light winds, 450g bulb weight (middle position) for moderate winds and 550g bulb weight (aft position) for strong winds.
  • Make use of lightweight R/C-components: typical rudder servos are Graupner C261 or Hitec HS55, an often used sailservo is the GWS IQ 200 MG. I use a Hitec 85 BB/MG. Shorten the servo arm a bit and increase the servo movement in your transmitter, otherwise these servos may be not strong enough.

Thank you Dick for your compliment. Yes that is me.
Shame about the belly but it happens to a lot of us more mature fellows…right. :chef:

Joachim, the rule that we in Australia and New Zealand have built to is the “International” rule as specified on the MM website.
http://micromagic.info/MMI_rule.pdf

That specifies that the keel weight must be between 380 & 420 grams.
Only two channels of control and various other restrictions which keep the tweeks within reason. :hammer:
My personal opinion is that the all out “German” rule is too extreme for general worldwide acceptance and they have made the correct decision to go with the so called “Dutch” rule as the basis for an “International” one.:drink:

The Aussie`s are getting on with the introduction of the class and it is my hope that we in NZL can do the same.:linux:

Hi Ian,

“the rule that we in Australia and New Zealand have built to is the “International” rule as specified on the MM website.”

Well, you (I mean “you” in respect of your starting group of first MM-skippers in AUS and NZ) do not “have to” and I hope nobody forced you to use that rule but you decided to use that version.
Thats to you and your decision, how to do by whatever reasons you have taken into account and to verify it towards potential newcomers to MM around you and how you and they may have the best fun out of it in activities with MM.

Anyway you definitly loose much possible sailing performance fun MM can offer in fresh conditions with that restrictions on the keel and its weight on just the kit version by the IOD-rules.

And the funny thing: There is already some openness with IOD rules in layout of that restricted original parts fin and bulb to suit different conditions better than with standard set up from kit => useful for being competitive at high levels to have two or three additional keels with different positioned bulbs to get best performance out of the IOD rules in different wind and weather. So you already have the openness for additional keels but with less positive effect overall in comparison to be consequent and be allowed to use heavier ones - at least also to same costs. And still you need smaller rigs…

Sailing in fresh winds with more bulb weight makes the boat much more enjoyable to sail and to control instead of its light wind standard bulb weight offered by kit for normal use as such kit boats are intended to be used by manufactorer. You can / have to use smaller rigs to go with fresh winds, yes, thats the common way as that way is used to us from all others classes as well (as well as from all full size classes…). But still the sailing results and boat performance is much lower than sailed weighted up. It is not only more stability for carrying the A-Suit but gives better resistance against distortions of waves, which simply blows the standard boats more sideways, even with smaller sails. At least you can also use bigger batteries placed aft with the IOD-rules - which cost about the same as a new keel (in Germany 470g tuning bulb 12,50 EUR and a Graupner fin 12,- EUR = about 25,- EUR for a new keel <-> cost of a smaller rig plus second batterie pack…

So do not tell me about the promoted intention of that IOD rules to keep it just simple and at low costs…

But well, I know, promotion matters, eye-catching matters, fixed philosophies and personal “used to” favours allways influence the view and development of making a class.

Have fun with MM, no matter which way you use it - but it is your own possible fun you have to take care for.

Thomas
GER 15