Marblehead regatta in ballarat

The thing that I see with old marbleheads is; that we want to attract a new type of person to this sport from this direction. I told you a couple of weeks ago that the sport is attracting retired people and I believe this. What we should be looking at is attracting New People to R/C yachting. I see some within the ranks think that a lot of boats/skipper are going to come from the IOM class.
I would like to see new blood , like as Seagull and Diversion. To attract these types who want to progress with in the sport . Having existing people gravitate from another class (either up or down) means just a change of paint work as far as I’m concerned.
Real building of the class means building participation numbers. Now with old marbleheads, we should be able to help a novice get started pretty quickly. They should have their boat already built and have the radio and stuff there at the waters edge. Our job is to instill in them that we can help them get their brute going. And perhaps working through updating their boat in little bits and pieces. Some of the missed opportunity of this sport is loosing the novices before they really get started. Somehow it can starts to become all to much as they get into it. We have got to learn ways to help them over this time, perhaps we could set up a ‘buddy system’ to mentor the new guys or something?

Well shipmates what’s happening? I can’t get a word out of anybody? It’s two weeks to go and its silence???

I’m a little worried is that I will turn-up and we will talk to the ducks.

Steve

hi folks thought i better sign in and say that every thing is still on track (truth is steve rang me) but yes we are moving along well i have been tuning the sail on my old falcon and building my new crone so i have been doing a lot and shipmates i’m not going to be sailing the crone at the regata so don’t worry that i’m gunna come out with a new boat beside i’m sure steve would mak me carry an extra 10kg of lead if i did

Hair-oil, My mate whose bringing his Maltese falcon to Ballarat and My Epic went out for a squirt yesterday just to see if they were both going in the right direction at the same time. And they were.

Its goods to see the sailors in your state (Victoria) lining up to help you do IT.
We’re coming to have a good time see if we can plant a seed for some Vintage racing in these old Marbs.

I got the Epic into the workshop over the last couple of weeks and put the new rudder in, repositioned the winch(again) but noticed yesterday that I have tomove the Jib attachment deck point back another 2"s. When it said on the GA plan that the jib was 12" on the foot , I took it as 12" on the foot and didn’t allow the distance away from the clew of the sail. Silly me. And clearly it showed yesterday that this Epic needs to have its High rig on. Hair oil’s Maltese Falcon was flashing round the course, but whose old but foxy? One of the funny things about this Epic is that it doesn’t leave a wake.

yeah steve the double enders don’t leave any wake the china boy here don’t leave anything either

Seagull , will the China Boy be racing on the week end?

And Seagull what time are you starting on the saturday. Perhaps you could send me a program, Shipmate.

steve

Seagull I liked you little message after your post which went something like “if you can’t do it move over and let others have a go” I thought that was graphic and to the point. And in lots of ways discribed what you and Diversion were doing with the Eureka Model Yacht Club.

This regatta in Ballarat has come to fruition by your new club in Ballarat. It has got a lot of people around the world talking about it . Now I might add this lower state of Australia, Victoria, is a pretty conservative place, yet, they have enbracced this concept that Seagull and Diversion wanted to do with this new club in creating something for old Marbleheads in their community.

I reckon in Australia there are about 1000 old Marbleheads around. This number is more than enough boats to start as a class within a class. The whole thing is that if they can do it , then a whole lot of folk out there can do it in their community’s as well, with a bit of positive thinking.

Their local Council have added amenities to a local lake so they can launch their boats and the local Holiday Park operator “Ballarat Goldfields” (Where we’re staying) have cut a gate in their fence to allow their guests( Hair-oil And Me) access to the lake. I call that right freindly.

Ballarat is/ was a gold mining centre, from the 1830 Circa.Hence the mention of a steam shovel at the bottom of the lake. Be there or be square.

Steve

hi folks ! now the day after our regatta/confrence here in ballarat i think we have to claim a success it was a very enjoying weekend and we put the point accross about old\older marbleheads i for one will be sailing my old falcon for many years to come even tho i have a more upto date boat that will also be sailed.

I would like to take this chance to once again thank Steve Crewes and Erol of the Drummoyne Sailing Club - RC yacht Division there experince has help our club in many ways from general boat setup to race scoring THANk YOU.

hi fellas a great weekend in ballarat had by all and a special thank u for all that showed up

ps wanted to buy marblehead :spin: older style prefered

psa big thank u to steve and erol for thier help

Well , well, We’re buggered. Got back monday night, usual traffic jam after the holiday long weekend. What a great Conference! And when are we going to do it again?

Well I know that there are some old Marblehead sailors out there ready to go. The standard of racing was excelent but could these blokes talk.

It was hard to describe what the weekend was in actual fact but it was about talking old Marbs and about boat tuning , setting up Handicap racing , regatta management, boat rules ( we don’t really make them up as we go along). Shapes of old marbs to the modern ones. This was a fun weekend and the lake was a challenge but from the point of view that it was not a straight sail. You had to be a sailor instead of a pointer, if you get my drift. This location is Ideal for sailors.

We booked our cabin for next year before we left Ballarat.

Steve

Well , well, We’re buggered. Got back monday night, usual traffic jam after the holiday long weekend. What a great Conference! And when are we going to do it again?

Well I know that there are some old Marblehead sailors out there ready to go. The standard of racing was excelent but could these blokes talk.

It was hard to describe what the weekend was in actual fact but it was about talking old Marbs and about boat tuning , setting up Handicap racing , regatta management, boat rules ( we don’t really make them up as we go along). Shapes of old marbs to the modern ones. This was a fun weekend and the lake was a challenge but from the point of view that it was not a straight sail. You had to be a sailor instead of a pointer, if you get my drift. This location is Ideal for sailors.

We booked our cabin for next year before we left Ballarat.

Just because we had a good time there you bloke don’t have to go silent on me. What are your plans for kicking on. Has the gas tank been emptied to the extent that your not sailing. Nev the Commodore says your got sailors from Melbourne coming up , thats good but when are you going to hold the Constructors regatta as suggested?

steve