loa: 12"
lwl: 12"
max beam: 5.5"
max beam location: 9.5"
height [deck to bulb]: 9.25"
keel depth: 7.25"
bulb weight: 6.5 oz.
rts weight: 17 oz.

not quite sure yet how i’d get disp… i never took it at the start, and its gonna be hard to find a measuing cup that is 10" deep!:stuck_out_tongue:

Those sound like very reasonable figures 420… as you seem to be on a fair waterline then presumably your displacement is 17oz… Unless I am enjoying this G&T too much!

I would take it that that is a nice hull size so move on from there to work on the rig to gain improvements and then look to improve the hull as it demonstrates any difficulties.

I am a shape designer too… which infuriates my dear friend Angus :rolleyes:

Graham
USA10

That looks pretty good to me (not that you were asking!). You say that the structure is light but I guess that you could pare it down a bit to increase the ballast ratio.

Remember that almost all model structures are hugely over-engineered. No real boat is designed to be picked up in a Dirty Great Overscale Hand. If you tried it, it would be seriously damaged.

There are no close up pics of the rig. How does it work? Is the mast intended to bend? How do you keep the forestay tight?

Another question. Have you had her sailing in big enough waves to find out whether the mini bow transom works? I drew one like that once, but chickened out and rounded it off. Prototype hull had unfortunate fate (see thread Exploding Carbon Armadillos).

Sorry to be so curious but that’s the most interesting ‘conventional’ Footy design I’ve seen for a bit.

the rig is not supposed to be bendy, [its a 1/4" alumininum arrow shaft] and the booms are, i don’t know if you can see, epoxied to the mast… they themselves are fibreglass arrows, and so the entire thing is pretty stiff… the forestay runs down through a sleeve in the jib, and it is dacron kite string, so it is low stretch, [or it should be!] but it is tied off at the mast, and at the boom, and since they are one piece, i was able to really crank on it, so, it just got pretty tight. i’ll take some close-ups of the rig, and put 'um up…

as for the broad bow, i have not had it out in enough wind to really see how it performs. my usual designs have a vey fine, wave piercing bow, but as i started reading about the diving problems with these boats i changed my thinking. i’ll let you know how it fares as soon as we get some decent breeze around here!

Yeah, rig sounds pretty stiff. With a lightish displacement boat, would a bendy mast help to depower things at the top end? You can get tapered carbon tubes intended as tail booms for model gliders fairly easily and cheaply. If you can’t source them in the US (mine are made in Russia where model flying is a big deal), try http://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/

If you go into production with these hulls, I might be in the market for one, if only as a piece of industrial espionage!

Hope this helps

rig pics are up…

angus, that might just help alot! i had her out in about 5-10 knts today, she went like a charm, a few ajustments to the rig and i think i’ll have the thing sailing right… the only issue was the chop, but then again, i guess its like hitting a 6 ft wave in a laser, there is nothing your gonna do about it!

Likewise :lol:

Graham

when i am finished tooling up, i’ll let you giuys know!

to those of you that were in anyway interested [angus and graham for instance] i have finished tooling up to build copies of my “bearfoot” design. [you can find pics of it at the yahoogroup page under pics. the album is 420sailors pics.]

i should have pics of what the thing will consist of by the end of the evening, but this is it in words: 1 hull, with bracing needed to keep its shape, and the transom installed. it also has spruce strips along the gunwales to attach the deck to. it is primed, and is otherwise bare. weight is 2.4-2.5 oz.
it will go for $20.00 usd, plus s&h.
get a hold of me if interested!