Maiden trip Voyager

Hello fellow sailboaters!

As the building was done and the water still liquid, today was my and my boat’s maidentrip in windpowered RC.

After a few testruns and adjusting, the boat sailed fine, it lookes nice on the water with an impressive “dent” midships, when at hullspeed.

In view of the price (about a third of a competition One Meter), the Thunder Tiger Chinese have done a rather good job.

The hatch is waterproof, when you use six instead of four clamps and use a liberal amount of closed-cell foam on both deck an hatch, what comes with the kit is insufficient.
Too bad the cockpit aerea with two steering wheels and winches floods, when the boat heels a bit, I’ll make a drain for it.

The rudderblade seems a bit small/short with it’s 5" length, but that could be my poor sailing skills aswell.
My eight kg servo was not strong enough to pull in the sails under load, you have to anticipate that when sailing, as I found out…
Seems a winch is in order.

For whatever reason the mainsail is supposed to slide over the mast, surfsail-style, and the spreaders and other lines being stuck through the fabric, making it impossible to ever remove the sail without having to re-rigg the mast completely.
Also the suggested rigging of the spreaders was not very practical, I altered it into a diamond rigging, making the mast very stiff.

I’ve fixed the mainsail in a more traditional way with a line in the sail and rings around the tapered carbon fibre mast.

I had my doubts on the plastic fixing points for the rigging on deck, but welding them in place with Ethyl-Acetate, made them strong enough to lift the boat by it’s mast tip without doing damage…

The mainsail boom had a simple ring around the mast, which would bind the moving rather a lot, as all other lines were supposed to be knotted onto it.
I replaced it with a ball & socket for both boom and boomvang, soldered from some brass strip, works like a charm.

The only downside are the flat nylon sails, if only they had been flat, but due to the material used, they have bags and folds that don’t contribute to an efficient sail.
I had to thread the trailing edge with a thin Dyneema line and tighten this a bit to keep it from flappig frantically, needless to say, it has a slight scoop now…

The jib is marginally better, probably because it’s smaller.

I’ve been sailing and setting-up the rigg for an hour and a half today, and got it as good as it gets, before my fingers got too stiff (close to freezing overhere) to get the knots untied.

As it turned out, the sails stretch substantually under load, so the bagginess got progressively worse, I adjusted, till I had no more room to adjust and the jib-boom was on the deck…

After returning home, the nylon shrunk back to it’s previous shape, making the main boom curve up under the stress.

I’ll have to break out the sewing machine one of these days, to make some decent sails out of ripstop spinaker nylon.

I purchased the boat through an Internet shop, after comparing prices at eBay, no problems, swift delivery.

As it was my first kit sailboat, I took my time to study the building guide, in order to avoid obvious mistakes.
The building/assembling is fairly straight forward, thinking ahead before glueing things always helps.
They must have different servo dimensions in China, because the standard ones, I wanted to use did not fit by a longshot.
I made two servo plates from ABS sheet, and glued them on top of the servo bays, ready.
I had my shot of modelbuilding for this model ( I usually build from scratch)

Being my first RC sailboat, the set-up of the rigging and the sheeting of the sails had me puzzled for a while, but I managed to get it working.
Made a couple of brass fairleads for the main and jib sheets, just a hole in the ABS deck didnt look right to me.
I also added a little block for the mainsail sheet on the sailarm, instead of running it through the hole in the plastic.

Now I’m waiting for the weather to get better…

Man, my boating addiction has just gotten worse…!

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

Jan,

Again nice to hear your first “wind” story…

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

Update:

The stock sails have been changed for a set made in Mylar (rather heavy; 96 micron thick, but available) and she sails considerably better.
Downside is the Mylar being cristal clear, making it hard to see what’s going on when the boat is far from the transmitter.

I made a second (panelled) set out of white spinaker (the noisy stuff) I had lying about for a number of years, rather a lot of wrinkles, but this get’s better over time.
Now I can see how the sails stand from a distance.

Still have to make a few sail sets, to get the shape right, the main hast too much material close to the mast, which I can’t compensate for by bending it, without ruining the rest of the sail’s shape…

Graham Bantock’s Sailmaking Notes were a great help.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

did i give you this one?

http://www.myrc.org/Library/Library.htm

Good luck with sails making…a very, very hard job…

cheers

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

posting several pics of her under way and maybe a few ones up close would be nice.
ed

I’ll give it a try later tonight.

BTW what’s the size limit for a pic on this site?

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

Ed,

Speaking of Boat Reviews…how’s the Pinoy IOM coming along. Is it the Paltik or Tabo?? Are you guys in full producion over there?

Regards,

sdswabbie

Here she has a spinaker jib and mylar main.

Jan.

Download Attachment: [ Voyager AC.JPG](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/pompebled/2005223122825_Voyager AC.JPG)
39.65KB

Boaters are nice people.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by wismerhell

did i give you this one?

http://www.myrc.org/Library/Library.htm
-Wis
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Yes you did, as part of making me read myself silly…thanks.

Making sails isn’t very very hard; it’s hard to make sails that look good and perform!

The actual process is a piece of cake.

Regards, Jan.

Download Attachment: [ Voyager AC 02.JPG](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/pompebled/200522312349_Voyager AC 02.JPG)
43.79KB

Boaters are nice people.

And a few more with my first go in mylar.(96 micron)

Regards, Jan.

Download Attachment: [ Voyager 29-1-05.jpeg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/pompebled/2005223123752_Voyager 29-1-05.jpeg)
34.47KB

Download Attachment: pompebled5.sized.jpeg
75.46KB

Download Attachment: pompebled2.sized.jpeg
61.51KB

Boaters are nice people.

pompebled,

GREAT PIX! i like the first one the best, she’s moving smartly…

is the rigging stock? i couldn’t believe all the diamonds in the rigging. nice job with the build.

sdswabbie

Yes, that’s my favourite pic aswell, I have it on my computer at work, to keep me motivated…

The rigging is almost stock, I added the two diamonds to make the tapered mast as stiff as possible, as I am having trouble to reduce the amount of twist in the main, which “blows open” rather a lot.
When I look at the sails on the 1:1 AC, I notice that the sails are a lot stiffer with less twist, not as stiff as in the pics of the last Louis Vuiton cup (with the spectacular views from the helicopter), but still…

I got my hands on some 23 micron Mylar (that stuff is very hard to get overhere) and will make a set out of that material, see how it works.

I’m also thinking of replacing the Dyneema stays with stainless steel, to make the rigg even stiffer.

Let me know what you think.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

Hi I have had a Fairwind for about 10 years it is easy to build and sail and looks good in the pond . The only thing I changed was I used 3 bolts on the
hatch 2 forward and one in back in the center .I also used screen door foam
weather striping that was encased in a rubber tube about 1/4 inch DI and
have had very little problem with water in my boat .

Ralph H

ikojopldhkfgkpu

I wish I could make the trip.
With two houses in escrow and driving every other week up to the new place. I just have to many irons in the fire right now to make a fishing trip.