M65 Multihulls - RG65 class sized

Well, here in the states the wholesale distributor, ATOMIK has just released it’s catalog page and opened up ordering for their new catamaran which is based on, and shares some parts with their DF65 monohull, which seems to have been accepted by a lot of sailors - here, the UK and down-under.

The new catamaran is about
660 mm/26 inches in length
400 mm/15.7 inches wide
1117mm/44 inches in height (not sure if from bottom of blades - or just the mast)

With the mast at 44 inches, there is a little room to add sail area since the current size is a bit smaller than a typical “A” rig for an RG65.

Weight at 1050gr/37 oz looks to be a bit on the light side, and I am wondering if it has enough mass to “punch” two hulls through a tack in wind and waves? Time will tell. It does come with all radio gear and transmitter, and requires 8 AA sized batteries in order to begin sailing. I did put one on order for myself to see and compare. Also want to review the M65 Class rules to see where the performance of this boat will be under performing against an all out M65 multihull. Cost delivered using “standard shipping” here in the US (about 4-5 days) is $189.00 How it performs will be the answer if this becomes a big hit like the DF65 - given a lot of sailors that count on a lead keel might have issues and will need some time learning to sail this. If my review isn’t very positive, this one will earn a spot in my grandson’s fleet.

Here is US Distributor’s web ordering page. http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/rc-sailboats/products/joysway-force2-60-catamaran-rtr-rc-sailboat

Hi Dick,
appears with a nice finish !
1047g shall be considered without the bulb that is not needed.
Let see if it is sailing well !
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio -
My real concern, is that I think it comes with a drum winch, taken from their monohull DF65. It “may” be bit too slow in speed, so once I have boat in hand, it will be one of the first things I check, If it is really slow, an upgrade to an arm winch (of it fits) will be considered.

Dick

link to early trials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnHOc_yqd8

Mine arrived today (8/6/2014) here in USA
After watching the video posted, it appears to tack well - but as a prototype, hard to tell what radio gear was used, and what size sail area. It tacked very well but there were a few “blown” tacks. Once I get mine on the water, I will be able to tell - but comments from down under suggest an arm winch - to replace the slow drum. I think if a day’s wind was similar, I might also increase hull weights a bit, just to provide enough mass to push through the tack.

Here are final specs from the enlcosed manual …

Following from the enclosed manual (201405 Version)

Length = 661 mm
Beam = 400 mm
(2) Masts and mainsails
A” Mast = 832 mm
A” Rigging total height = 1117 mm
A-” Mast = 687 mm
A-” rigging total height = 972 mm
RTR Total weight = 1050 g (with/without batteries = ???)
Jib Sail Area = 4.55 dm2
A” Mainsail area = 14.62 dm2
A-” Mainsail area = 12.13 dm2
"A " sail area overall = 19.87 dm2
A-” sail area overall = 16.68 dm2

Joysway could save a few $$$ on production costs - printed hull decals could be on sheet of release paper and let owner apply.

Joysway could save a few $$$ on production costs - print sail graphics on release paper and include two full sets of sail numbers and white (unprinted) sails. Let owner apply…

Hi Dick,

thanks for your report.

Yes the prototype tacked very well. My theory: no shrouds and that stiff mylar cloth, which might luff less than the ripstopp material through the tack. So both good for less aerodynamic drag during the tack.

So winch and sails might be the issues…

Is the total weight realistic?

Cheers
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, I’m not sure about the weight. While watching the video (and it being a prototype) it would be hard to tell it’s weight. I will see if I can find out. My first thought is to sail it stock (weight) and see how it goes in light to medium air. Then try the heavy stuff and if it doesn’t seem to handle well, try adding some stick on weight to see if more weight makes improvement.

I’ll get back to you/readers on the video prototype weight if I can find out.

regards from Minnesota, USA

Dick

Just a quick update.

I went ahead and purchased one. I managed to get my order in early, and the total cost was $180 including shipping. I think it is now up to around $210. That said, when it arrived, I opened the box, looked at the manual and the parts, put everything back in the box and placed box in my closet. Too many other projects to proceed with it, so it is almost 2 months old. Probably will start within the next couple of weeks.

Sending in for my M65 Class sail number this weekend.

I found FRANCESCA’s CAT at the web:

//youtu.be/f3dqP9IMJYQ

don’t miss the action at 1:00 :smiley:

nice sailing, looks like a prototype of something :wink:

//youtu.be/HF3nrcn7U50

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a very well balanced boat that sails fast and level in the breeze. I love the shroud adjuster allowing mast to tip and boat to self-rescue (most of the time). Wondering if the board are adjustable - as raising them a bit would reduce a lot of resistance and allow a bit of “slip” to leeward, rather than popping up the windward hull so quickly.

Not sure of the lady sailing, but she appears to have a solid lock on sail and boat trim - and shows the cat can tack very quickly. Hope we see more of this design.

Again - thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Dick

Those long boards remind me of a recently published asian cat, something with dragons :wink:

But the maiden voyage of this italian cat was at april 2013 (as seen at the second video). I think there you can see both boards slightly raised.

What I read in her blog, she sails the cat and got it from her friend Franco from Sardegna.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Wolfgang

Wolfgang -

I dug out the foils that came with my F2-60 cat and did a measurement. They are plastic and stick down (below bottom of hull) by a dimension of 14 cm (about 5-1/2 inches) but ARE NOT adjustable for depth. As I work on cleaning up the hull glue lines that aren’t very smooth on mine, I also was looking to re-engineer a way to make the boards able to be lifted to reduce sideways resistance for heavier winds - but the way they made the trunk wells - it isn’t possible. I’m still waiting for availability of a set of replacement hulls (friend’s cat was parked near the rear tire of his wife’s SUV by his grandson) but there are none available, and Joysway doesn’t answer any emails of when they will be available.

If I have to make up a set of hulls for him, I may take one hull, not crushed, and see if I can cut out the “factory” trunk and build in my own to allow board movement.

As for the Force 2-60 cat - it isn’t too bad, and worth the under $200 price tag (here in US) but there is only so much you can do. One is that I would like to see better hull balance fore/aft like seen in your video, and also try to spread the weight out in the hulls to prevent the hulls from going bow-up during a capsize — then flopping over and turning “turtle”. Thus my interest in the adjustable mast shrouds to help self-rescue if not upside down.

Regards, Dick