Lug rigged Footy

What are my options for a kit form Footy with a Lug rig? I dont need the radio gear in the kit just the hull and sail rigging.

Thanks
Mike

try scalesailing.com’s pintail 12… that is the “kit” with the closest thing to a lug rig i have seen… or, you can look at one of the many other hulls for sale and build te rig yourself…

good luck!

barrett

I really like the Pintail but it’s not available yet.

Mike

really? i was pretty sure it was… oh well. sorry to mislead you!:scared:

Thanks for the help,I apreciate it.I see your from Ct,I go to Mystic every year for the weekend.I love going to the Seaport and this year the Woodenboat magazine show will be there.

Mike

Mike, if you really want to know about luggers and you go to Mystic, the library there almost certainly has a copy of Marsh’s bok The Sailing Drifters. This is the definitive sdtudy of British ‘drifter’ fishing boats, the majority of which (especuially in Scotland) were luggers. There are copious drawingsof rig details.

yeah, i live about 30 mins south of mystic… great place… did you know that they have Lightning # 1 there? but that really is of no import to what you are looking for… but what angus said… they will have some great resources if you are looking for lug rigs…:rolleyes:

Hello Mike, to clear up the mystery of the Pintail12 the boat in the thread here http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=3954 by rpage was built from one of my foam cores and a variety of items gleaned from my parts bins… sort of a custom partial kit. Oh and lots of emails! Which were fun Rick so I am not complaining :slight_smile: .

There is clearly interest in the semi-scale Pintail12 so I have decided to get on and put together a kit as soon as possible. I think the cabin parts and the servo tray should be laser cut but the hull panels are very easily cut out (even with stout scissors) so I may supply print wood for them. The sail will be ready to hang as usual, wood mast and boom would look best.

I should point out that the Pintail with it’s full cabin does not fit the box rule because the rudder control assembly holds the transon too high to get the cabin below the top edge of the box. However I got around this in the Sheboygan event by making a flat ‘racing deck’ with which it is class legal.

I hope this is of interest…
Graham

PS the lug rig does tack rather nicely.

The image shows the arrangements for the Woodbridge OD lugger, a 30 inch boat after a 1926 design sailed in the Southwold summer regattas. Now many of the Woodbridge boats have gravitated to the Vintage Group and do a little competitive sailing when enough of us remember to bring one to a Vintage Day.

In the Woodbridge design the halyard also serves as a single shroud. In footy size, it can be simply led to the mast. The important thing is to have a way of keeping tension between the yard and the boom, so that the luff of the sail is reasonable straight. If the image is too small to read easily, PM me and I’ll send you a bigger version

Russell

That’s intersting. The halyard used as as single shroud was standard practice in full-size Scots dipp[ing luggers.

By way of an update on ‘Pintail’, I have completed the cad files. There are a lot of parts as compared to a Kittiwake and I will have the deck planking laser scribed, so I need a quote next on the cutting from my laser guys.

The kit will have a different hull from the original, increased bow depth which will make it sit back more in light winds. A more attractive stance I think. It might be nice to develop a gaff and foresail rig as an alternative to the lug. I imagine her to be 1/24th scale which will make some figures available, cut off at the chest and ‘sat’ in the ‘cockpit’ they could look pretty good.

Graham

Come on Graham, put your considerable inventive powers (and your customers’money!) where your mouth is. If you ae going to do a lugger, forget the Foort rules and produce a working RC dipping lug, at least as a de luxe option. It would be marvellous to see a fleet of 12" RC dipping luggers making to winward. Remember hat a good lugger is potentially very fasst - Scots fisjing boats had no ice and had to get the catch to market very quickly and that French chasse-marees would easily outperform an English revenue cutter to windward.

And fGraham won’t, Mr. Starr!

Angus, you have too many bright ideas!

Twenty years ago when I was in Peterhead, researching model fifie racing, I was told why the sailing fishing craft of the East coast were luggers, but those from ‘round the corner’ in the Moray Firth were gaff rigged. The prevailing wind makes the trip home to Peterhead and similar locations a reach. To access the ports on the S side of the Moray Firth, it’s a beat to windward. This was regarded as too much like hard work with a dipping lug, especially after hauling nets (by hand until the late 19th century) for a couple of nights. The mast on the preserved Fifie at Anstruther is rather larger than a telegraph pole and the lug yard in not much smaller. To lower it, hand it round the mast and raise it again every time you go about is hard work at any time, let alone after a few days fishing.

Russell

Yes, I suppose that the picture might be rather different with a heavily manned naval chasse-maree intent on escape.

Do you have Marsh ‘The Sailing Drifters’? If you do not, my father does and might be prevailed upon to lend it.

A.