Looking Glass Trophy - Results

Results so far:

21-07-07 Brett McCormack NZL8 Paint it Black Pipsqeak 6 min 30 sec.
22-07-07 Bill Korsgard USA 17 Kittiwake 7 min 23 sec
26-07-07 Bill Korsgard USA 17 Kittiwake 16 min 00 sec
26-07-07 Bill Korsgard USA 17 Kittiwake 6 min 02 sec
27-07-07 Barrett Sparkman USA 190 Bearfoot 7 min 30 sec

Details in subsequent posts.

Still no resuls!

Pity - IO’ve just approved the designs for the Looking Glass and Jaberwock Trophies - very stylish ceramics from the award-winning Welsh potter Vicky Buxton. Get stuck in there!

A.

Angus,
How about a video of you reciting the above aloud in Dutch?
You could post it on YouTube for the world to see.
That should inspire more of us to get going :wink: :wink: :wink:

Actually, I’m finally getting around to building my course.
Bill

I would have though that the natural candidate was my learned friend :zbeer: :devil3: Mr. Barrett Spaakman

unfortunately, barrett had a birthday, and is not longer eligible for the jabberwock trophy…:scared:

I was thinkin more along the lines that the name Sparkman probably started life as Spaakman.

:zbeer:

Full size racing was cancelled today due to a strong southerly gale that blew up overnight.
So we headed down to the marina and threw out the internet course.
Boat used was my tried a true “Pipsqueek” design with Torsion rig.
The boat was rigged with the 300mm high storm sail and we let her rip in the steady 25knot breeze with gusts of over 30knots.There wasan approx 8 inch chop inside the marina.

The first timed run set of and the first lap completed in under one minute…looking good for the all time record.
Some lulls and strong gusts came through and the eventual time was 6min 30 sec from Brett McCormack.
TX handed to young Robert who also made a strong start ticking off the first 2 laps in near 2 minutes.Then disaster.a gust over 30knots arrived and snapped the sheeting arm…ou of control the boat ended up on the rocks o the other side of the marina.battered up by the rocks a resuce dinghy was “stolen” and the rescue made,rowing against the 30knot breeze was a problem but boat and owner both survived to fight another day.
“Paint itBlack” is totaly awesome upwind and down in these conditions,It was a fair dinkim 25 knots plus and she handles bueatifully.

Brett,
Congratulations on the great performance, as well as a safe recovery of your son’s boat. I doubt that I’ll do anywhere near as well.

Anyway, this made me realize how fast July is going, so I was inspired to finish putting my course together. It was sort of a “quick & dirty” effort, so the looks are a bit rough (see pic). Hopefully I’ll be able to try it out tomorrow.
Bill
ps; here’s some videos (off topic, sorry) of my local waterfront action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUc5jupTnFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBgvt9OGXls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCxHH5i1txw

We will get the boat repaired this week and have another go next weekend.
Differcult here at this time of the year. either no wind at all or gales from the South pole.
Hoping for another gale next week I guess.
I really must get a video made of this boat sailing in tough conditions,It would dispell any myths about footys in strong winds.

i think i am gonna give it a shot today… keep you posted!:stuck_out_tongue:

well, i went out, despite predictions of 0-3 knts of wind… no prob, until as i was setting Stiletto up, i broke the sail arm…:mad: so, no times today… perhaps i’ll get it fixed and give 'er another go tomorrow. a buddy of mine was sailing my newest Bearfoot, which was hauling the mail at times, but he had no interest in going around the course…:rolleyes: oh well.

maybe, by the time i get Stiletto fixed, the rain banished, and the wind back up, Orange Crush will be ready to give it a shot too!!!:devil3:

Well, last Sunday I set a new record…for the slowest time!! I launched on the lake from the deck of my sailboat in an erratic offshore breeze, amidst alot of motorboat chop & some weeds, and came in at over 16 minutes. Angus, will there be a trophy for the slowest time…:wink: ?

The breeze today was much more promising, so I headed down to the lake after supper. This time I sailed from the dock with an offshore 5-8 mph breeze at my back, but with much less chop on the surface. I rowed out in my dinghy to make sure that the string was fully extended. After a couple aborted practice runs, I posted a time of 7min 23 seconds, which was encouraging after my earlier “record”. The light was starting to fade, but I decided to give it one more shot, this time coming in at 6min 3 seconds.
I had been hopeful of breaking the 6 minute barrier when I completed the 2nd lap in 3:38, but alas was distracted by looking at my watch & got stuck in irons for a bit.

I think it will be possible to break the 5 minute barrier under optimal conditions and fewer mistakes made by the skipper.

BTW, I was sailing my Kittiwake with a standard MacRig balanced unarig.

if there is breeze tomorrow, i’m going out to give it a shot… we’ll see!:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, last Sunday I set a new record…for the slowest time!! I launched on the lake from the deck of my sailboat in an erratic offshore breeze, amidst alot of motorboat chop & some weeds, and came in at over 16 minutes. Angus, will there be a trophy for the slowest time…:wink: ?

The breeze today was much more promising, so I headed down to the lake after supper. This time I sailed from the dock with an offshore 5-8 mph breeze at my back, but with much less chop on the surface. I rowed out in my dinghy to make sure that the string was fully extended. After a couple aborted practice runs, I posted a time of 7min 23 seconds, which was encouraging after my earlier “record”. The light was starting to fade, but I decided to give it one more shot, this time coming in at 6min 3 seconds.
I had been hopeful of breaking the 6 minute barrier when I completed the 2nd lap in 3:38, but alas was distracted by looking at my watch & got stuck in irons for a bit.

I think it will be possible to break the 5 minute barrier under optimal conditions and fewer mistakes made by the skipper.

BTW, I was sailing my Kittiwake with a standard MacRig balanced unarig.

Bill K
Footy US 17 (AMYA)

Bil - for consstency could you give me the sail number of the boat. I deliberately don’tknow how it’s clclated but I guess you have to be in the running for Looking Glass and Humpty Dumpty.

well, i went out…:rolleyes: it was probably blowing 25knt, with 6" chop and powerboat wakes about 14"… good footy weather? i’d say not.

here is what i learned:

1. my mac-rig works… too well! it bent off so much that the boat almost never heeled… leaving it with barely enough power to get through the chop. i need stiffer wire. [my new rig for my new proto should fix that]
  2. using clear bottles for marks is no good. you can’t see them against the glare.
  3. don’t forget a camera… i realized it too late.
  4. having the sail trimmed in tight up wind is crucial.
  5. i need more rudder input. the boat didn’t gybe well at all, tacks were only better because in general the chop pushed the boat across.
  6. the hull has a lot of potential.
  7. the sparkly black paint on Eclipse looks fantastic in the evening sun!
  8. white sails on sparkling water, with green trees giving way to an orange sky in the backround… its magic.
    9.I LOVE FOOTYS!!!

oh right… the times… i knew there was a reason i went out!

only got one sail in due to it just being too windy for the rig… =/

final time: 17:30:13

first leg time: 3:05:…

sigh, maybe i’ll get another boat out there tomorrow.

for now,

Eclipse [Bearfoot hull] sail # 190

time: 17:30:13

ha, beat you for the slowest bill!:lol::rolleyes:

well, i went out…:rolleyes: it was probably blowing 25knt, with 6" chop and powerboat wakes about 14"… good footy weather? i’d say not.

here is what i learned:

1. my mac-rig works… too well! it bent off so much that the boat almost never heeled… leaving it with barely enough power to get through the chop. i need stiffer wire. [my new rig for my new proto should fix that]
  2. using clear bottles for marks is no good. you can’t see them against the glare.
  3. don’t forget a camera… i realized it too late.
  4. having the sail trimmed in tight up wind is crucial.
  5. i need more rudder input. the boat didn’t gybe well at all, tacks were only better because in general the chop pushed the boat across.
  6. the hull has a lot of potential.
  7. the sparkly black paint on Eclipse looks fantastic in the evening sun!
  8. white sails on sparkling water, with green trees giving way to an orange sky in the backround… its magic.
    9.I LOVE FOOTYS!!!

oh right… the times… i knew there was a reason i went out!

only got one sail in due to it just being too windy for the rig… =/

final time: 17:30:13

first leg time: 3:05:…

sigh, maybe i’ll get another boat out there tomorrow.

for now,

Eclipse [Bearfoot hull] sail # 190

time: 17:30:13

ha, beat you for the slowest bill!:lol::rolleyes: