Locking device for kite halyard

hey all,
need to make a locking device for a spinnaker halyard, has to be able to come unlocked easily as well.

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands in his pockets & promptly walked away.

run a micro servo, high torque or not depending on the size of the boat, make sure its programmable and see if it can be set to spin like a winch (i know they can be, i just don’t know the amount of rotations you’ll get) than all you need is to find a way to route the line to the servo. it’ll be alot easier than trying to make a cleat you can unlock from land.

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

Errr, why not have a micro servo operating a clutch on the halyard? you might be able to set it up so that when the kite hits the top the clutch engages, and to dis engage you reverse the halyard winch (operates the downhaul too?) and down it comes. You might be able to do it mechanically without using a servo…perhaps mess around with the smallest cam jammer you can find? work out a way of making it trip?

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

mmm, i think i would have to make somethin up so i only have to use the 1 servo for hoisting/lowering.

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands in his pockets & promptly walked away.

Use a step down drum like those sold by rob guyatt, such that the drum basically steps down to the minimal diameter of the servo for the last .5 revolution. This will give you very high holding power at the end of travel.

~tb

ye, but it is still using battery power, i don’t want any power used by the halyard winch whilst the kite is up.

Depends on the size of your kite and the servo and how you step it down. You should be able to get it to the point that it does NOT use any power from the battery.

-Todd

mmm, well, the mast is 2.2m high, & i will be tryin for mast head kite, & i will be usin whatever is the replacement winch for the HS 725 BB.

A hint: see how a Tornados external Jib-halyard lock works. You might be able to use the same idea

• HJ

“Expertice is gained trough mistakes. However repeating
same mistake is not learning but stupidity.”

mm, got any pics of it?
cheers
rob

Hard to take a picture, because the part has coverplates so you cannot see the working mechanism from the picture. Ill try to draw it out for you next time i go sailing.

• HJ

“Expertice is gained trough mistakes. However repeating
same mistake is not learning but stupidity.”

sweet,
thanks man

Here’s a possibility - but does require a sero to activate the on/off lock. Perhaps it could be modified to handle a halyard?

Download Attachment: [ Jamb Cleat1.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/dick lemke/2005620131418_Jamb Cleat1.jpg)
19KB

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Class 3 Landyacht #US-196
Minnesota, USA

mmm donno, thats a bit complicated, i would have to have some way of having it work when the kite is at the top of the mast & have it work with the halyard winch on the same channel.

The idea is from a PEAPOD design - single channel r/c for a mainsheet - circa early 1980’s. Surely technical skills and technology available today would allow for some innovative design/ideas.[:D]

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Class 3 Landyacht #US-196
Minnesota, USA

one would hope so… i am not an electronics/rc guy so, wouldn’t know how to do it, however, there is a rc shop round the corner & down the road from me, so maybe those guys might know…
cheers
rob