Lifetime guaranteed elastic...

The sheep docking rings work great (I get them for about $5/100, use 6 and either give away or manage to loose the rest) - I use them on my Marbleheads and IOM’s and replace them about every 2 years. I have also used SS springs for the same purpose but they rust and scratch things.

One way to get around the problem of winch drums changing their effective radius as they spool on line is to simply use a toothed pulley/belt system for the racetrack. The folks at RMG tried to develop something like this a few years ago. Has anyone tried one? Seems like a good way to keep the racetrack tensioned at all times.

Hello Bruce. Rob Guyatt used to have the chain drive posted on his web site. It neatly solves the effective radius problem, but might need tensioning or periodic adjustment to take up the tolerance slack in the links as in, for example, a timing chain for overhead cams. The other thing is just aesthetic. Chain drive looks a little too John Deere for Newport, IMHO.

The core problem is really one of accessbility. If you put whatever sort of traveler system on top of the deck, for example, you can fix whatever goes wrong between heats.

But if the loop is constructed below decks, and the elastic pops, you’re probably done for the day.

A nice compromise, which I think has been suggested somewhere above, might be to tension the loop with an idler pulley on a hinged arm mounted in the cockpit. The arm could be tensioned by a rubber band that is always in full view.

The rubber band could be inspected, or replaced once a week routinely, or – in the event of a pop – replaced with one hand.

Michael

Michael -

if you would like to try one of those access card recoil thingies - please PM me with your address and I’ll throw it in the mail. I have one that works, but the backing belt clip broke off. You have first crack at it - no cost.

If Michael declines and anyone else wants to try one, - PM me with your mailing address and if still available will send it to you in the mail (US Only please) - and this is a First Come, First Serve (after Michael’s decision).

Thank you Dick, that’s very kind of you!

I have just ironed down a new deck, however, and I am not going to open it up again until everything suddenly goes loose and labile under there… two years from now, at least, I hope, knock wood. So I guess I will have to pass on the recoil device. Thank you again for your thoughtfulness in offering it!

Best, Michael

No problem - just wanted you to have first crack …

anyone ???