Keel Box's

Maybe a dumb question but I just gotta ask it anyway. You never know if ya don’t ask !

What is the best shape or design to make them, and why ?

My old yacht had one already fitted which was a 2 prong arrangement so I made a keel to suit.

This time I am converting a yacht that had a fixed keel.

Any thoughts on this would be great guys.

Cheers, Neil.

If you think it can’t be done, Move over and let those who are doing it show you the way…

Surely there are some builders out there that have some views on this subject ?

Lets hear it guys, Like for instance…
My old Marblehead had a box that was rectangular in shape with a piece of timber put up the middle to require a 2 prong fork shape on the keel, but I have seen some in magazines that are just a triange with the bolt protrudung out the top ?

There must be strength issues here somewhere ? What is the most common form of box shape that is used ?

Cheers, Neil.

If you think it can’t be done, Move over and let those who are doing it show you the way…

the ones Ive seen are either rectangular or trapezoids. On the boat Im currently building its a rectangle up on its narrow end. It runs through the hull all the way up to the deck. Hopefully this arrangement will be more long lasting than that of Konica Minolta, whose keelbox creased the hull after falling off a wave. You say you are converting a yacht that had a fixed keel. Does that mean you are giving it a canting keel or some other arrangement?
-USA2

No, just a removable one…easier to transport.

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think this was some sort of black art !

Cheers, Neil

Diversion will you Email me please