J-Class Revisited: Modern J-Class Design Contest

If interested in exploring the idea of discovering if a J-class yacht could be designed to be competitive with today’s technology, check out Earl Bobert’s Modern J-Class Design Contest.

The rules:

http://www.swcp.com/usvmyg/JContest.pdf

The Other Matt

Is there a way to get a hard copy of the rules? Can’t open a pdf file…

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

I’ll bet that if you added some of the latter day 12 meter bustles and the IACC double knuckle bow “rule beater” design features, as well as some refinements of the appendages and sailplan, you might have a significant performance improvement. Of course, you would have lost all the elegance of the classic designs.

Instead of a boat with thuroughbred lines, you would have a pokemon character!

• Will

Will Gorgen

I ttried copying and pasting, Doug, and it didn’t work because there are pictures in there. Why don’t you email Earl at boebert@swcp.com? He might be able to get them to you.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Will said:

“I’ll bet that if you added some of the latter day 12 meter bustles and the IACC double knuckle bow “rule beater” design features, as well as some refinements of the appendages and sailplan, you might have a significant performance improvement.”

The old boys thought of that. Hollows in a plane of measurement are bridged with straight lines for measurement purposes. The Universal Rule (on which the J’s are based) was in effect for 20 years in half a dozen classes, and the A Class model rule (which uses the same quarter beam length idea) has been in effect for 80, and I haven’t seen a “rule beater” yet.

Cheers,

Earl

My new favorite yacht is the Reliance, '03 defender. I know she’s not a J, but has anybody put one in the water?

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

The “Reliance” would be one hell of an interesting boat to model. I have her lines in a book at home and she looks sleeker than a J. When I was a kid I used to love to look at pictures of the “Reliance” with her absolutely colossal sail plan.

matt
the pdf filed worked for me.
i just clicked on it and it worked
long live the cup
cougar

What about the J Class RANGER ?, now that is a boat I would love to model, how can a boat SO old, still look so modern?, she must have made her opponents quake, when they first set eyes on her!!.
John.

I’ve been to two reghattas at Mystic with the J class models. They’re pretty impressive boats! Eighty five pounds is a hell of a lot of model yacht to schlep around. To me there is something about the lines of boats like the RANGER and RELIANCE that comes close to great Art like a Michaelangelo sculpture.

(I’m staying tuned for further developments on the 36 inch J class)

Off topic I know, but what the heck

My <u>J</u>. Whirlwind, at Mystic in 2001

Greg…nice pic…you got more?

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Greg, there you are providing a boring view for the people in that house again! [:-boring]

Probably interupted their game of croquet!

([:D])

I have some more Mystic J pics… will go dig.

The Other Matt

One of my favorites - this is from the 2003 event:

The Other Matt

Another.

(That might be Greg’s shoulder [:-magnify])

The Other Matt

Ea5rl is the only other owner of one of these in the US, but I have 4 of 'em, all spoken for. The Canterbury J is a 48" J scale boat modelled after the Ranger. With any luck, I’ll have one of ‘em sailing in Mystic this year or maybe in Newport. 48" LOA, roughly 36" LWL and as pretty as the ‘big’ J’s. By the way - that road across the river from our intrepid skippers is my favorite street in the world. Maybe 3’ above water level… Now if I only had a couple million to buy one of those houses, all would be right with the world.

off topic but anyway…play lotto and with luck [:p]LOL then …dont forget to INVITE me

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Nice to see ScuttleButt Europe pick up on the design contest today (3/11):

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>J-CLASS REVISITED: THE MODERN J-CLASS DESIGN CONTEST
Earl Boebert, Historian of the US Vintage Model Yacht Group, is sponsoring
a design competition that explores both the grand America’s Cup racers of
the 1930s and their high-tech descendents.

In his words: “The question to be explored in this little contest is ‘What
would a modern design to the J-Class rules look like?’ To this end we have
reconstructed, to the best of our ability, the rules governing the design
of the 1937 America?s Cup Challenger and Defender.”

Read More and Download the Contest Documents and Reconstructed Universal
Rule (requires Adobe Acrobat) at
http://www.cupinfo.com/en/jclassrevisited.php
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

The Other Matt

The 2007ac.com forum has been very active on this subject, by the way. A few designs in the works include sliding and or canting keels.

(I love throwing gas on a fire…[:-jump])

The Other Matt

Dang it, Greg!!! I just painted my EC12 in that scheme!!! Why’d you paint your Whirlwind like my boat? 'Course, I’ve got fuchsia trim and bootstripe…

By the way, sailing my -12 the other day, I was thrilled at how that color scheme helpmed me see what the boat was doing.