IOM BOATS ===> NEED YOUR COMMENTS

Hello all!,

I would like to start this thread for the benifit of those who are considering to have IOM (International One Meter) boats.

Those who have info’s on this class, please kindly help us.

First of all, I’am new in this hobby. I only have a victor-model America3 24 incher (Barely finished the kit). After this project I’am planning to get a bigger boat and I’am considering IOM. Can anybody tell me what is the price range for this boats (both kits and pre-built) and where can we get this.

Also if you have comments regarding this, please input your comments. We would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks!

hi
well for an iom…be ready to pay about 1000 US dol…maybe you can get cheaper…but you ll need different riggs…

wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

Hello,

There are IOM kit’s available from Climate Models for $399 including sails for one rig and go up from there. Prices of foreign made boats are little igher due to the value of the dollar at present. Complete boats from the Australia and New Zealand can be had from somewhere around US$1300. This will get you a boat that’s very competitive with anything from around the world. Check out www.onemetre.org, www.iomclass.org for more info.

Rob

I’d suggest you look for a used IOM. There are usually a few around available for much less than a new craft.

If you are looking at just a hull (plus keel, rudder and winch) plan on spending somewhere in the $150 range for the rigs (sails, spars). You will want to get the larger A rig plus the B rig for winds somewhere in the 12+ mph range. You will probably not need the smallest C rig unless you sail in a windy area.

You can save some $$$ by doing some construction yourself, but it is easier to simply get rig kits from somebody like Great Basin and simply put everything together.

The IOM is a very versatile craft and you should be quite happy with one, so go for it.

Ralph

try this link,
http://www.rcsailing.gr/boat-designs-eng.htm

but the ceapest way ist to bay a plan and planking and building yourself.

greeting from germany

andreas

Hi andreas!

guten tag!

So where can I buy plans?

HELLO DYOPPS!
CHECK WITH ARVIN. I BELIEVE HE HAS SOME HULL LINES AND PLANS.RC SAILING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS RELATIVELY NEW COMPARED TO OTHER COUNTRIES,MAYBE WE CAN HELP PROMOTE THE IOM CLASS AND RC SAILING IN THE COUNTRY.

ED

hi, it depends a little, from where you live.
sailetc.com (england-bantok)had IOM plans. The Kite and the lion.
i have a german website with buildingpicture and from the lion a short Video. maybe you will try to get through. go to: http://www.modellsegeln.net/tipps.htm and then to LION and KITE. Plans for downloads look at my link page and on the right side you will see downloads of plan. the best ist the Triple crown from chris dicks in england.
Also triplet Publication (on my linkssite)had a lot of IOM plans, but without photos.
cu andreas

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by andreasS

hi, it depends a little, from where you live.
sailetc.com (england-bantok)had IOM plans. The Kite and the lion.
i have a german website with buildingpicture and from the lion a short Video. maybe you will try to get through. go to: http://www.modellsegeln.net/tipps/tipps.htm and then to LION and KITE. Plans for downloads look at my link page and on the right side you will see downloads of plan. the best ist the Triple crown from chris dicks in england.
Also triplet Publication (on my linkssite)had a lot of IOM plans, but without photos.
cu andreas
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
hi i don`t know how to edit.
the link was wrong

hi
try this then:
http://www.modellsegeln.net/ then click tipps[:D]

PS: Ed r u the same guy as on the seawindrc forum?

Wis

Here is the link to the Triple Crown design that is proving to be a good IOM

http://www.mya-uk.org.uk/suppliers/triplecrown.html

hi again. here the direkt link to the traplet Puplication plans.
https://www.traplet.com/pages/nonmagazine/action.lasso?-database=FastTrack.fp3&-addresponse=onlinestore.lasso&-add

cu andreas

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Ed Morales

HELLO DYOPPS!
CHECK WITH ARVIN. I BELIEVE HE HAS SOME HULL LINES AND PLANS.RC SAILING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS RELATIVELY NEW COMPARED TO OTHER COUNTRIES,MAYBE WE CAN HELP PROMOTE THE IOM CLASS AND RC SAILING IN THE COUNTRY.

ED
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Dear Ed,

Yup, I think he has coz hes planning to make a locally made one. But I’am also considering the possibility of scratch building. I’am eyeing on the IOM on my next boat so as to help promote the class here in the Phils. BTW, where do you usually sail your Boat?

Andreas,

Thanks for your tips! I will check the sites you recommended.

<font color=“red”><font size=“6”>By the way, how does an IOM compare with other one meter boats? advantages? disadvantages? </font id=“size6”></font id=“red”>

Hi
as for me and as i could compare…with my Seawind…[^]its faster [:D]and much more possibilities to adjust and setup things[:D]…i like the way things are built inside…i could sail an Italiko for about an hour…[:-captain]great boat…i must say that i like the hitech stuff…carbon kevlar aso…makes me dreaming

just an opinion

Wis

dyopps,
i’m currently out of the country but you can check out the photos of some of my saling venues at http://groups.msn.com/RCSailing/allicanafford.msnw

iom vs. us1m?
based on their specs, weight, sail area, i think that the us1m will out accelerate an iom in light winds and smooth seas, but when a gust hits, the added mass of the IOM will probably get it past the much lighter us1m. maybe i’m wrong cause i just based this on the figures that i have. i’m sure there are lots of more capable experts out there.

hi ppl
I have 3 IOM boat and 2 us i meters. the IOm are alot faster but I find difficult to use if you do not know what you are doing. I started using the plans out of a magazine. bantock old one meter (rythmmn) then stared to design my own IOM , you can go a long way without spending a lot of cash. I went out and purchased epoch(climateboatworks). it is a IOM boat for about $400. you get a very fast IOM but if ind it a litlle tricky in the heavy winds. I dont like to see ppl spend $3000 on a boat only to find out that they are not the best on the water. I would suggest going to traplet plans and get a set called nimbus, good all around boat and see where it takes you
good luck

Cougar: It depends on which IOM’s and USOM’s are being tested, who is sailing them, and the wind and water conditions. Both classes have their strong and weak points and wide range of cost for the performance realized. Only if a long series of races was run with one optimized USOM matched against one optimized IOM with a pair of top skippers who trade boats through out the test, would I fell confident to make a statement that one similar class is faster than another. I have seen 5 pound 36/600s beat 7 pound USOMs, and 5.5 pound USOMs beat IOMs, but it doesn’t mean a 36/600 will beat an IOM. The conditions and models were all different.

svandre: i agree with what you said. I have reced my us one meter against several IOM class boat and beat them. was I the better sailor or was the boat faster? I think you could make a case for either side. the ts2 is an very fast boat. but I dont feel like shelling out $2000 just for the hull. I design IOm and will get a hull that is competative.the skipper will always be the deciding factor. I just feel that there is more for the sailor if a IOM is chosen. the us i meter does not take must to set up and run , while the IOM , you are always thinking with. you would not know where i could get plans for nzl 32 do you?

Interesting how all of our experience differs. I sail both IOMs and US1Ms and have what I believe, a top-notch boat in each class. My experience is that US1Ms are quite a bit trickier to set up right then the IOM. If you set up both boats well as compared to perfect, the IOM will suffer much LESS then the US1M will. A poorly set up IOM (when I mean poorly, I am talking about something that still looks right) will still sail well were as the US1M will just about not sail at all.

As for competing both classes together, I feel I have some very good experience with this subject. Our club, the http://ghmyc.org/ .has for the last three years raced these two classes together. At first I felt that the IOM was dominant, but now I truly feel that it?s about a dead even draw with the US1M possibly coming out on top slightly. It is very interesting to watch each boat take advantage of its good points while the other suffers in the same. Then within seconds the other boat is back in its good points while the other suffers. It is always shocking though to see a 9 pound IOM sail past a 5.5 pound US1M in almost still air, but we do see this often.
This is where the difference attention to rig setup really shows. The IOM can handle a wider range of wind within a single tune while the US1M single tune has a much narrower range before the boat just will not sail.

I just wanted to add this. I love sailing both of these boats, and when it comes down to deciding which to sail, I just go with the majority of which others are already out on the water. I think, though, that the IOM is probably one of the more enjoyable boats I have ever sailed. They are really beautifully designed boats, and there are some many great designs out there.

Greg wrote " This is where the difference attention to rig setup really shows. The IOM can handle a wider range of wind within a single tune while the US1M single tune has a much narrower range before the boat just will not sail. "

Can anyone explain why this would be the case? I can understand a boat being optimized for certain conditions, but why would an IOM have a wider range?
Thanks
Don