IOM Batteries

Howdy Everyone,

What type and number of cells do can you all recommend for sailing an IOM. (RMG winch and rudder servo) The boat came with a 4 cell 720mah AAA battery pack. Currently I am using a 2000mah 5 cell AA pack but will probably use a 5 cell 720mah AAA pack in the future. I know that whatever battery pack I use has to be in compliance with the minimum weight, but I was actually more curios as to how long the different battery packs should last.

Do drum winches consume less power than arm winches under the same conditions?

Best Regards,

sdswabbie

Bruce Lopez
S1M #1924
IOM USA #144

I guess it all depends on the servo consumption…check for it!

But I guess that the AAA batts dont have enough “juice”…I’ll use AAA on a 50cm boat…
even on my Seawind I use 5 cells with 2000mah

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

Depends whether you want to spend your time sailing or changing batteries.

Don

Don Case
 Vancouver Island

I use the 5 cell 1650 mah packs sold by APAC - they last pretty much all day and the company is great to work with. On the East Coast, SR Batteries has similar packs and also provide great service.

Precision Park West:
Higher Technology Racing Solutions
“Beyond Hyperbole”

In addition, most of the competitive IOM hulls come in below weight even with a big battery pack and require additional weight to come up to the minimum 4 Kg, so battery pack weight is not usually a problem.

Precision Park West:
Neurosurgery & Light Hauling

pardon the title change - the old one is no longer germaine!

What about 223A type of batteries? They are used on high-end cameras, they pack 6V and 1400 mAmp.

They only weight 37 grams

Marino

The more I practice, the luckier I get.