Introducing HA w/the ASymetrical Stern

ASymetrical Stern: What is that and Why?

Well, it is not totally finished yet as “Half @$$” (HA) is still in white primer and the deck is simply covered with Blue masking tape so I could sail it in Brett’s July Jaunt and Jostle. Amazingly, it stayed totally dry, but the tape got damp. Just got it in the water about a week ago. Finished Internet Course in 10th place with a time of 4 min, 30 secs which makes me happy and have a full video of the event. I now have time to finish the painting, build a few more interchangable ballast weights and rigs and give the deck a proper covering. Also hope for some golf time.

The boat started out as a Brett B-2, but got a number of modifications along the way with the stern being a very noticable change. See attached HA photo. The stern is only half there, thus the name HA ;-).

Here is my thinking. Let me know if it makes any sense. By going to the ASymetrical Stern, I am able to reduce the angle of the hull in the box and give HA a longer keel and reduce ballast weight for the same heeling moment. Current total up weight as measured by our Post Office scale today is 15.7 oz with ballast being 6.1 oz. So that seems like a positive.

A second advantage seems to be that I can get almost 2 more inches of sail at the clew do to the reduced angle of HA in box. This area is close to the deck with reduced heeling effect and may help on downwind runs.

What about the reduced hull length of HA? Won’t that be slower? He is my thinking. I usually like a Starboard Tack Start, so I cut off the Port portion of the stern. This way, I have the 335mm length for the first windward leg which hopefully allows a little breakaway from the fleet. I have not raced against anyone yet, so time will tell about this.

Looking forward to comments.

Hopefully you all won’t start calling me halffastfrank. :slight_smile:

I’m no naval architect, but you have me convinced, plus it looks pretty sweet from the stern. Good work. Keep us posted on the results of your theory.

Frank

just a view of a multhull guy …

The original Hobie 14 and 16 and the Prindle 15 - 16 -18 all used asymmetrical hulls, because they wanted to beach launch without hassle of dagger-boards and didn’t want the complexity of centerboards.

The slab side gave the needed lateral resistance along with the rudders.

My thought/view - If you sailed your boat with the Port side to leeward, the slab (port) side might also increase lateral resistance. This might offer the ability to point higher when on that tack.

Did you notice any differences on either tack? Was there a noticeable improvement in pointing?

Just curious.

I will have to look more closely next time out to see how port and starboard tack differ. Really need to sail against another boat to judge the differences. A friend in Fenton is close to finishing his B-2, so will know soon.

I did think port tack might point higher (not sure), but I was simply hoping Starboard would be more money to windward than port. Will keep you posted.

Any other theories out there??? Are there any other Footy’s out there with AS-sterns?

I would say there are plenty:) but yours is the only one I know of which was intentional!!
Interesting idea and good lateral thinking.Keep us posted with developments.

I second Bretts remark about “good lateral thinking”. There may be some merit in your HA idea. BUT, If you get to a race situation that favors port tack, I reckon you are dead meat. To be sure, port tack starts are the only sensible way to go unless the start line is long and there are only a few boats jousting for the same place at the same time.

I fear that a downwind leg will force you to put in some rudder that will cause unwanted drag and then you will get run over by conventional boats.

Please keep us informed about the ultimate behavior of your daring experiment.

Keep on thinking.

I have no ida whether that will work, but it’s a lovely piece of wild thought. Anf for your next trick…?

A.