Interesting Hitec sailwinch modifications

Some of you may have seen this already but if not here you go. An interesting modification done to the Hitec sailwinch to make it go faster but it is in russian and that’s not a language I master ! it looks like an interesting modification though for the masters of electronics amongst you can you make you what modification he’s made ? Cheers, G.

i think the key would be to compare the stock diagram to the diagram in his video…

but even then. not really sure why sheeting in so fast is good…I can understand with an arm winch being able to flick the sails over to gybe. not sure a drum winch could do the same.

good point - I personally won’t want a winch that is too fast but since we sail most of the time windward leeward course a fast winch comes handy to sheet in while rounding the leeward gate. But I agree too fast is no advantage for our purpose. But I find the Hitec sailwinch too slow and could do with a little more speed - not necessarily as much as this guy did but it seems that he change one of the component for each try to increase the speed but don’t know what.

too fast sheet in. disrupted air flow and is slow… to slow to sheet in, = slow to accelerate…

also makes you wonder on the on longevity of the servo as well…

only a matter of time until a nice drum digital winch is designed and you can program the speed…

Variable speed servo control is passe with ERX firmware on the cheap FlySky 9x transmitter.
Look out for it on the new Hobby King 9X due out soon.

been happy with the dx6i, and I don’t see myself changing out to the HK… I know the dx6i has the exponential travel…options as well…

A fast winch is better than a slow one. You can always move the winch slowly with the Tx control, but you cannot make a slow winch go faster. The RMG is a fast drum winch and is programmable - acceleration and deceleration can be set, and it is fast enough to gybe the sails just like an arm winch, but can move slowly and in very small increments at your command.

The mods in the video look like a large resistor and another component that I cannot identify. Looking at the labels for each test and the display reading on the digital tester (looks like voltage), he is increasing the voltage on each test and the higher voltage makes the winch go faster.

John

oh I’m a RMG fan and use Rob’s winch on all my boats (ok except the MM for obvious reason !) but I thought the modifications that guy did was interesting if we knew what he did.

love my rmg as well in my ec12…not sure I’;ll put one in my IOM though…probably going with the 7955 hitech digital…