IACC 120's in the US ?????

Hi Guys- Lots of great responses, and information on these magnificent boats. I’m the guy who asked Dick the original question that he asked the board in post #1, and am just getting caught back up here on the thread- life has been very busy lately! I’m excited to see that kzimmermann will be beginning a build soon, and will start a build thread. I’ll be following it closely, as he is just across the Chesapeake Bay in the same state (VA)! Not sure when and if I’ll attempt to build one- I have VERY limited building skills (a couple of kits only), so molding a hull and scratch building would be a bit daunting for me. I am looking at perhaps some other (but more expensive) options. Hopefully, I’ll be able to see kzimmerman’s boat when he completes it! Thanks again for all the great information. I think it would be really great to see this class take off in the States as it has in Europe. Matthias, your You Tube videos are awesome! I’ll be keeping a much closer eye on all the IACC 120 related threads, and trying to soak up as much as I can. Thanks again to everyone for posting!

Hi from Anchorage Alaska. Building Claudio’s IACC120 NZL-92. Halfway through strip planking.

Keep us updated wkent! (isn’t the water always hard in Alaska?)

My Planking went something like this
http://home.quickclic.net/~mranger/boat_0001.wmv

for some random build pictures, click on my profile and look at my album.

Good Luck
Mike

Mike -

great idea for the sequence build. I will have to look at similar to explain foam shaping and covering. Thanks for posting.

Dick

Mike. Congratulations great display, my planking wasn’t quite so smooth at one part involved my finger and x-acto knife however it is done. Now comes the fairing.

I will post something about my build in due course, at this stage mainly following in the footsteps of those who have gone before.

Suprisingly the water isnt always hard in Alaska which is home to a lot of avid sailors and modelers. See http://sites.google.com/site/nsrcsc

Wayne

Hi everyone,

For those of you building in the US, I keep seeing posts by people trying to get the right size, length, and type of planking material. Claudio D. says he uses Samba wood (also called Obeche, Latin Triplochiton scleroxylon) but it’s very difficult to find in the U.S. Luckily it is remarkably similar to basswood, which is pretty readily available here.

I could only find 24" lengths (61cm) at my local hobby stores, and 1/8" x 5/16" x 24" was $0.47 each.

I finally found what I needed - 1/8" x 5/16" x 48" at a website: www.balsawoodinc.com They had a pretty big variety of sizes to choose from and I got my basswood sticks for only $0.36 each. Not bad at all… Getting my hull plug planked will be one of the cheapest parts of the whole thing.

Hope that helps anyone building here!

Hi all, I am new here and just came onto this thread. I am contemplating a build @ this time. I have been looking @ allot of the other build and right now I’m looking @ allot of Caudio’s designs. I’ve never built any sort of a boat before but, I grew up on a boat yard and have a general knowledge about boat building and design. I also have here plenty of friend of mine who actually build wood boat here on Cape Cod so, I hope to be able to ask them for some advise from time to time,
I would also like to see how many people here in the US are here and if anyone would be interested in getting a club together. I live On Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. My email address is <ivy1960mga@yahoo.com

Jim -

visit AMYA web pages, and go to club listings. Then search clubs in your specific area. Note that there probably aren’t too many (any?) sailng these yet (as a club) here in the US as the class is only about 3 years old. Still - using an AMYA club gets you connected with folks who may provide answers to questions as you start your build. Building is building - and for any special questions specific to this class of boat, just post here or read a few of the build threads.

Here is the AMYA club list link, and I would suggest your consideration to join and support the hobby. http://www.theamya.org/clubs/

Dick
(moderator)

Thanks Dick, I don’t have the time @ this moment to reveiw but, I will look into it. I gave it a brief glance and saw there is actually a model class in Ma. If it an IACC Class or not… havent checked. Jim

Hi Lemminkainen, Jist interrested in a few things, what size “plywood?” did you use for your frames? Also what size bass wood for your planking, 1/8 or 5/16? Did you buy decking stock?

Hi Jim,

I used 1/8" ply from the hobby store. It came in 1’ x 2’ sheets. 3 sheets took care of all the frames for my IACC120.

As for the basswood strips, I used 1/8" thick x 5/16" wide x 48" long. That size worked pretty well for me. There were a few spots where the planks had to twist a lot, which they did not want to do, so I tapered them with a little block plane. That was really my best tool while planking. It allowed me to taper over long lengths, bevel the edges, and angle the tips pretty quickly. I used Zap CA glue (green bottle) which was perfect for me.

I haven’t got to decking yet. My hull form is just planked and sanded. I plan on making a fiberglass deck though, which I’ll make a mold for. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it :slight_smile:

Here’s a picture of the little block plane I used. In this picture I was trimming a balsa block to exact thickness.

Kevin

Hi Keven and All, went to the local hobby store today to see what was available for frames and planking. The fame material, I will have to go a town or two over for, not a problem. I was looking @ 3/32 stock for the planking… 1/8 is defiantly too thick, will require allot of sanding and 1/16 too thin…bows in between frames… not good. Any thoughts or comments??? After seeing Claudios build thread of the ac33 I’ve decided to go with the cotton cloth but, on the Alinghi design. Just thought it would look different than what everyone has done. I’m still in the planning stage so feel free to speak up!

OK, after a few weeks of gathering needed supplies, I have started my build! Thanks Kevin for your advice. ( You were right about the 1/8 x5/16 sticks. I also got some Zap Green, great stuff! My hull mold is almost complete! I can’t post ant pictures right now because all my shots are on my daughters camera!
I will add that there was a model boat show down here in Woods Hole and that realy got me motivated! I took my son and both he and and both got to sail a boat.
I think we may shock them @ the next gathering… Not one person knew anything about a 120!!! hehe!

This is will be my last drawing dedicated to the ac120 class . It represent the NZL-32 Black Magic adapted to the RC Model AC120.
For other details the ones already used for similar class models are valid , see : http://www.iacc120cup.altervista.org/Main0.html

Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi guys, thought I would just say that I am building Claudio’s NZL-92 (IACC120).

I’m located in SW Ontario, that’s not too far from the US.

Roger

Hi Roger
I apreciate, you will be glad to see it in the water…
Good work then !
ClaudioD

Time to revive this old thread- I see there’s an IACC 120 build going on in Philadelphia- anyone care to post an update on your US IAC120 build? How many are going on or completed? Thanks!

Hello, I am considering Building USA-98 BMW Oracle to the IACC 120 Scale, Since this thread started what are the new developments regarding this Class here in the US, I live in Coeur d’ Alene Idaho. I am new to the RC Sailing world , However I have been building Scale models and full size boats for some time , And building RC Boats fills the gap between the 2

Best Regards,
Pete