Hull painting

Hi all, I am looking to invest in a spray system to paint my boats. Just wondering what experience you may
Have. This will be a garage type atmosphere work cause that is all I Havel to work with.
Currently I’m looking at an Iwata LPH80 small spray gun that works at 2cfm and a California air tools
6310 compressor, about 650$ US. Seems like a good kit at the price. However the HVLP systems
From Fuji (semi-pro, with spray gun) can be had for around 400$ US. I have no experience with
With anything other than my small air brush setup. (Airstar V909 and Iwata HP- SCR) not enuf to
cover larger projects like the RG that I would like to clear coat. Well just thought I would ask because
the experts at some venders can’t quite figure out what my needs are.

Kurt

I have always just used spray cans! I also lightly wet-sand with fine paper, and a top-coat of wax.

The last time I used rattle cans I thought I had done a neat job of things. This was in a garage with the floor covered
with large sheats of cardboard. I was painting with blue Tamia laquer and the hull turned out quite nice.
However everything in the garage especially plastic things attracted the cloud of spray. Spent more time cleaning up
after that than setting up to spray. My opinion is now that rattle cans are very good at making paint clouds and not
so good at getting the paint were you want it. My family asked me why the plastic recycling bin changed color and it
was on the other side of the garage. I did think it was a nice shade , but still embarrassed.

I have had good luck with a small, HVLP gun I bought at an auto parts store. I see what looks like the same thing at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-69705.html

I have used water based bottom coat with 2 part acrylic urethane clear, and also the basecoat-topcoat auto paints and all spray fine once you get the reducer adjusted.

I have had good luck with a small, HVLP gun I bought at an auto parts store. I see what looks like the same thing at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-69705.html

I have used water based bottom coat with 2 part acrylic urethane clear, and also the basecoat-topcoat auto paints and all spray fine once you get the reducer adjusted.

Ditto for the Harbor Freight gun.

If you have issues with a rattle can what do you think is going to happen when you use a spray gun?

Overspray will always be present, but a good HVLP spray gun will put more paint on the surface that you want than just fogging the area. I have painted things with a remarkably small amount of paint.