hey newbie here

hey im new to the rc sail boat thing. i dont have a boat yet but what boat should i i get?

I have never owned a decent mass production boat. Not to say that they aren’t out there, I just have never spent the $$$. I am in the process of building my own USOM and it is the greatest thing ever. The learning curve is tremedous and with the AMYA Construction Guide and websites like this and the USOM Yahoo group there is never a shortage of knowledge. Hopefully my boat will be sailing by spring after 2 years. Boats can def. be built quicker, just not when there are weddings and your work shop is not in your house. Good luck.

yeah im go to build my own boat. but i want a prebuilt one to learn on

blademaster,

Years ago, I was clueless as to rc yachts. Almost bought a kit from a hobby shop then I found out about a sailing club near me and I ended up buying a used boat from one of the members. Actually it was hull/keel with a botched paint job, a rudder from another boat, old set of mismatched sails, and lots of extra parts thrown in. So it was a “short” kit… required building (lots of sanding), but not from scratch. Advantage: the seller was at the pond every week for ongoing advice, he gave help with tuning and teaching AND it was the class that everyone else had. Basically, it was being “returned to service” to the pond it was retired from.

Now, after building many boats, I’m finally building a kit since its the same class as the club I want to sail it at.

Anyhow, unless you want to sail alone, I’d find a club, buy the class, hopefully from one of the members (because of the after-the-sale “warranty”).

yar

If you can find a nearby club, then get what they sail.

However if you are on your own, then I suggest that you get a simple/inexpensive kit boat like the Victor Soling 1M. That way you can get out on the water easily, and then when interested individuals come and ask you about he hobby, they can simply buy/build what you have and suddenly you have a club.

Once you have a club you can collectively decide to move into a more challenging class such as the IOM or US1M.

Other issues in your selection are…what is the size of the pond and the water depth? A big pond and deep water allow for bigger boats such as the Marblehead or even bigger such as EC12 or 10R.

A small pond and shallow water and you are back to the Soling or the available plastic kits, or even the Footy.

John has the right idea. If there is a club then sail what they sail. If you are going it alone then there are several decent if not spectacular almost ready to sail types. The Soling one meter as John mentioned is a very popular class. In my part of the world there are a lot of Kyosho Fairwinds and Seawinds. There are also a gaggle of Lasers. Any of those boats will be fairly east to get started with. It is well to avoid the no name stuff that you might find on E-Bay. That stuff is mostly toy like and not worth your time or money. Should you come across a serious boat on E-Bay, like a IOM, US1, EC12, 50/800, 36/600, or other established class boats, observe Caveat Emptor for sure.

find out what is sailed in your area. with that said. if there is no seroius idea here. i would suggest you go and look at victors australia II. the reason i say this. is it is simple to put together and easy to sail. plus the advantage is you can talk about the boat . as a scale boat. " this is a model of the boat that won the americas cup in 1983". i have one of them and i dont have a problem with giving the transmitter to a kid. and walking away. letting him sail it. i still keep one eye on it. but most people ( around me) learn how to sail on my Australia II. now they all have thier IOMs and they are sailing well. if i just want to go out and just sail. for no reason other than too just sail. i go and grab 1 of 2 boats. victors australia II or the seawind. both boats are good to sail. easy to set up, and alot of fun
cheer for joining the brotherhood:zbeer:

keep posting and let us here from you
cougar