Headstay

Question:

Is there any reason why not to use a headstay (of course if there is enough room from the jib)?

I think it would give more felxibility to the jib (being able to work the leach or the luff without affecting the mast rake/tension)…

Marino

The more I practice, the luckier I get.

mholguin-
On my experimental EC-12, i use a headstay that doesnt do anything except keeps the mast up and controls the bend. The genoa is set inside of it flying free and the regular jib is set off the forestay. It works extremely well. Are you thinking about putting a headstay on a boat, and if yes, what kind of boat?

Yes. It just “feels right”.
?
I’m building a RG-65.

Marino

Is this headstay going to be carrying the load on the mast, or is the forestay going to be doing that? The forestay will still be needed to bend the mast. On my EC-12, i put the headstay on mainly to keep the mast up while changing between the small jib and the genoa. It will bend the tip of the mast forward, and by using the headstay, backstay and forestay, you can control the mast’s bend very accurately.

My plan is to use the backstay/headstay combination to control mastbend; whilst leaving the forestay to control -mainly- luff tension on the jib.

makes any sense?

Marino

the headstay and backstay combination can control mast rake effectively, but not bend. The forestay controls bend better than a headstay. On my EC-12, i said it bends the tip forward. It does that and essentially will keep the mast straight. What do you think about putting another stay right above your jibstay? It would control the bend more effectively from that position on the mast.

Now that you say it… I need to recap my thoughs here…

The mast is really short (40", hull is 25"), so I don’t think I’ll get too much bend, rake is the way to go… I think my reasoning was on the right track…

Marino

[:-devil]In my opinion the use of a seperate forestay is not advisable.[:-dopey]
The reason is that it makes the tensioning of the jib luff so much more difficult.[:-drool]
The challenge is, which of the two ( jib luff or forestay) carries the greater tension.
It is generally shared, which means the jib luff is sagging off to leeward, making it impossible to point up high.[:-kitty]
By putting all the rig tension in the jib luff stay, the leading edge remains straight. [:-shades]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.