Guess the Picci

Angus, AndrewH, Charles Smith and Lawrence and any one they may have discussed it with are excluded from this game.

However for the rest of you, I would like to see if you know your history?
Have a look at the photo below and see if you can tell me what was the name of the famous boat it was attached to?

No monitary value just for fun
Heres a clue ~ It wasn’t a Footy but will be on view at the AGM as one
Good luck
Rgds
AndyT

Just to tease you here’s another shot from above on the Footy

Andrew - for those of us “getting on in years” … you have to get a camera that takes “sharp” photo enlargements and post photos of a size we can see. Your post looks no bigger than an Avitar, which for some is way to small to begin.

:smiley: Just my eyesight dwindling away.

Well i can’t give you too much of a clue
Just think about it
Why would you have a spindle and bearing at the top of the mast???

Rotating wing-mast / solid rotating-wing rig?

Nigel
those usually sit atop a nylon ball in a (sometimes) captive cup and rotate only at the base and are supported by fore stay and side shrouds.

Ahhhh.

I saw bearing, so I thought of something rotating. Then I saw mast, so…

Just a guess.:slight_smile:

Your getting close keep going :magnify: ~ as far as i have been able to research there has only ever been one boat fitted with this type of rig

Dont forget i want the name of the boat

Another clue to help you???

Ok it was sailed in 1933 and considered as a “Classic Boat”

Now can you get it?
(not too much help then)

Gosh you have all gone very quiet - ok well as my vesion of this rig will be on display at the MYA AGM tomorrow i will give you the answer - the boats name is “KESTEREL”

My version of this rig i have called “Prop-a-Footy”

And now the interesting bit - This boat is an autogiro, which means that its blades ae not connected to a water propeller - the blades are being used the same way as a sail.

This is the earliest autogiro boat and I think that we can safely credit Lord Brabazon with the original concept of using the blades like this to drive a boat directly, since all the other people before him had only thought of using the turbine to drive a propellor. After all, the aircraft autogiro was only invented a couple of years earlier in 1930.

KESTREL, is an 1896 Bembridge Redwing. This class has an unlimited sail plan - you can do whatever you like as long as the area is less that 200 sq. ft. So Lord Brabazon tried a whole lot of different sail rigs, including this one, which had a blade area of only 30 sq ft. King George V, who knew a lot about yachts, said “I have never seen a yacht sail so close to the wind”.

Unfortunately, there was an accident in Cowes Harbour - Lord Brabazon shouted out “Let her go”, and his crew let go of the rotor instead of the boat, and then it could not be stopped, because the brake wasn’t strong enough. It was eventually stopped, after demolishing the next boat along. The moral of this tale is that you should be a bit more specific when giving instructions to your crew.

Lord Brabazon then got involved in some other project, so the boat lay in a shed for 60 years until it was restored by a classic boat enthusiast named Maurice Wilmot, who has had it put back exactly as it was in 1933, except that it now has a stronger brake on the rotor. This restoration was done by the process of removing each bit of wood and replacing it with an identical new bit of wood. Maurice Wilmot has a collection of restored old boats, including other Redwings.

The KESTEREL is now fully restored and being used regularly at Cowes and housed at the classic bat museum on the Isle of Wight. Here is a video of it in action.

http://www.cowes.co.uk/zonexml/video?url=http://www.cowes.co.uk/d/Features/CBM_low.mov;d=Watch%20our%20video%20feature%20on%20the%20Classic%20Boat%20Museum

So now you know - vey unusual

A remarkable idea :zbeer:. But how do you read the sail number when the propeller is spinning?

Walt H.

LOL and ROTF - Walt you crack me up - excellent