Glue you use

Greetings

Forgot to ask a additional question about planking a hull

What glue is best to use?

I have been told to use “crazy glue” also told to use the yellow carpenters glue. Oh yeah heard of using clear nail polish also[:-banghead]

Now I understand this is a open ended question but lets put a guideline on it by saying----

Southern Alberta sucks for rc supplies and for some hobby supplies. So the glue would have to be accessable at one of the following
House of Tools
Totem Building Supplies
Wal mart
Micheals Hobby store

Thanks

Jeff
Alberta

Jeff - WalMart usually sells CA Glue down her for 2 small tubes for around $1.98 US If it goes bad on you the cost is really low so you don’t mind throwing them away. This ought to work well for stripping, and once you get the glass covering in place - or coat with epoxy, the CA will be protected from mositure.

Edge gluing to each other is tedious and long process. I switched to just glueing to the section templates, and in areas where strips taper to a point. The epoxy (WEST) slightly thickened with white silica powwder had done a nice job of sealing crack and seeps in along the strip edges, holding them together.

Back to CA for a moment - I have not tried the WalMart suff with any kind of accelerator, which you would have to buy mail order or at a hobby shop. Might want to try it first before you buy the accelerator to make sure it works.

jeff
what i would suggest you use. is what you are comfortable with. the way i build my hulls. is by using ca and gluuing the planks to a front peice. the front piece is anchor to a stiaght building board. then i just pin the planks to foam board. when all the planks are in place. i just fibreglass between the pins. NOW when this is dry. i just hull the pins out( because they do not have fibreglass on them) and fibreglass the whole hull. when the fibreglass is dried. i break the fp of the board. and lift the bare hull of the shawdows. a total of maybe 4 hours work time. if you are good with the planking sanding is minamal. and can be done before you lift off the hull… if you are impatient for the 5 sec. you can use" kick it" that will dry it right before you eyes. i used it alot. just beacuse i like to sail . and on site repairs. i cont wiat
msm me and i will talk you though it
cougar
long live the cup

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

Back to CA for a moment - I have not tried the WalMart suff with any kind of accelerator, which you would have to buy mail order or at a hobby shop. Might want to try it first before you buy the accelerator to make sure it works.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I am using the Wal-Mart CA for all my planking jobs. It takes me 3 tubes to plank a Mistral (USOM). I’m not using any accelerator, the glue sets in seconds, sometimes I use pins to hold the plank in place (the pin holes give the hull a “neat” look too).

Gio

Clear nail polish is better known as “poor man’s Locktite”, Works great on rigging fasteners that can vibrate loose (or any thing else). NOT a good glue. I understand that nail polishes are being reformulated to remove hazardous fumes, so get your supply soon. Clyde

Jeff,

I used UHU-Hart model glue. I can get it here at my local model/hobby shop. It’s originally german. It worked good enough for me, but I don’t know if it is available in Canada. http://www.uhu.de/indexx.html?main=/produkte/modell_kunststoff/hart.html gives you a little bit more info maybe (it’s german site).

Good luck
Folkert