GENOA JIBS WIN MAJOR SAILBOAT RACES

Chad! Where are you!?
Will? has just posted an out of topic post and I want it REMOVED! He is spoiling all of our fun!
I think it was only because his stupid shrink ray gun was faulty and that, yes it can shrink, but it can?t expand, and that makes him very unstable! He has only presumed that this shrink ray gun will make boats faster, without even a single TEST! Am I right Will?? You…you?[:-censored]?oh well, forget it.

On a different subject,
Hey, how come no one has used this yet[%|:-)]

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by wgorgen

Are we adults here or not?

• Will

Will Gorgen
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
Not today, it’s too COLD![:-angel]

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Are we adults here or not?

• Will

Will Gorgen
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
no 'cause we sail “toys” [:-captain]as stated by many non rc sailors[:D]

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Will: I am shocked that you think anyone here is making light of Doug Lord and his efforts to promote “new technology”. I, for one, have been inspired by Doug. I was planning to travel and race r/c sailboats around the US in the next few months and work on a new boat. No more. I will spend my time posting on the internet.

Will, I urge you to follow the path set by our most prolific poster. You claim to be “building” a canting rig US1M. Redirect your efforts. Where are your daily posts on how this boat is faster than all other current US1Ms? Where is the clever, trademarked name for your rig system? (Let me be the first to suggest the name "WhoopiTipOverRig"™). Where are the attacks on anyone who questions your expertise or mentions the inconvient fact that you and you boat has never won or appeared at a race anywhere ever?

Will, there is still time. You can still propose at least one new class for the boat that you haven’t built yet. At the very least you can attack others for being antiquated or “retro”. I urge you to abandon your outdated efforts at “building”, it is technology from the last century.

people
why do we have to have attacks. cant we agree on disagreeing?. i dont understand canting keels. but i understand winged bulbs. now is that old tech or new tech. i dont attack anyone here, unless I am attacked first. or i have been misquoted
please lets all share knowledge. and get along
cougar

and to get back to the topic
can somebody explain the diff. between an overlap jib and a blade jib?
cougar

Cougar,

This was never a topic. This was a satirical attack by Roy on Doug.

Overlapping jibs or Genoas are jibs which have their clew point aft of the mast. These sails are an artifact of IOR and PHRF rating systems and most boats designed in the last 5 or 10 years have gone to low or no overlap in the jibs. However, Genoas still enjoy favorable ratings under certain rating schemes. In particular the IACC rule does not measure the overlapping sail area, so it is free sail area.

I think by blade jibs, Roy simply meant non overlapping jibs - jibs that have their clew point forward to or at the mast.

I’m sorry that in Roys effort to attack some he confused others. I don’t think it was intentional.

• Will

Will Gorgen

Yea Roy, you’re bad! And so was Bruce and Bob and Will, and…oopps, Will?
Hmmmm…[:-magnify]

Will: Did I dream that post about the revolutionary “shrink ray”?

To be somewhat serious for a moment, I guess I am a little surpised. When Doug Lord posted the pretty negative (and not nearly as funny, in my humble opinon) “No Class” attack on Greg, Dick and me, there was not a word from you expressing disapproval. When Matthew the Immoderate Moderator said I was “full of sh*t” there was no call from you for moderation. When Doug entitled a thread “Lies, Half Truth’s and Insinuendo” (or whatever it was) attacking everyone who disagrees with him as engaging in a campaign against “new tehcnology”, you did not call for decorum.

Sometimes the best way to point out hype is with humor. And for satire to really work it has to contain more than a little bit of truth…

Yes Greg, I too, stooped to new lows.

I posted before I had really though about who we were attacking. In retrospect, it was not very nice.

Doug, I hope you were not offended by my post. No offense was intended (from my quarter at least). Sorry all.

Will Gorgen

Question Will -

Why is stating “Fact” or asking “Pointed” questions considered by some (perhaps you) to be an attack.

If the statement isn’t fact, or the question can be answered in a factual response - I can’t see why anyone would consider it an attack.

Yet - when referred to as Retro-Dude I certainly did not consider it an “attack” - although, by all accounts, I probably should have !

Sorry Roy for saying that about you, came across this on a bad day.

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

i did not respond to the posting because people where talking about genoes, and blade jibs. i consider myself good when it comes too boats and i have never heard of a blade jib? so that is why i asked the question? thanks to all of you who answerd it for me. i think that is what board like this are for , the exhange of information. and not personal attack on people. . in a way i am kinda of glad nobady has posted a reply on my suggestion , the mini IACC.
COUGAR

Roy,

The topic “No class” was started and basically finished when I was on vacation. I only participate in this forum during my free time at the office.

I did find that thread to be an over the top attack by Doug on all of you, but I did not have an opportunity to voice my objections until after the carnage had occured.

I have tried to intervene is several “cat fights” in the past. I have been successful at calming the waters at times, and unsuccessful at other times. There are so many fights lately that I cannot intervene in them all. I know that appears to be inconsistent, and you may even interpret that to be a bias on my part. I’m sorry if you feel that way, because I have tried to not take sides in these fights.

When Matthew said you were full of sh*t yourt own reply to him pointing out to him that he was taking your satire too seriously was an adequate. No further input was needed from me. And he has appologized for saying that. I hope that puts that issue to bed.

Dick,

When I said this thread was an attack on Doug, I did not say that it did not contain Facts. Roy used several facts in his opening post about recent regattas where genoas were used to win races. He implied (satirically) that this was a new technology. I sure hope you don’t think that it is. He also stated (satirically) that his sails were 67.2% faster which is not a fact.

Roy was using his satire to object to Doug’s repeated posts where he “advertised” some trademarked or patented technology that he was trying to “sell”. I’m sure you understood that from the onset. To the extent that many people object to blatant advertising on internet forums, I think Roy had a point worth making. I found Roys first post to be funny, his second post to be “rubbing it in” (in his second post he took on the personality of Doug in defending his “new” technology) and his fouth post (the one where he responds to my “shrink ray” post) to be downright mean spirited.

But the sum total of these posts by Roy is that they represent a satirization of Doug. A few others (including myself) joined in the satire. Cougar aparently missed the satire and wanted to get back on topic. When I refered to this thread as a satirical attack, I was merely pointing out to him that there was no “topic” to get back onto.

Geez. It is so painful to be part of this group lately. I may have to leave for a while. This place is causing me serious headaches…

• Will

Will Gorgen

Will
i do not attack anybody, i have been trying to play peacemaker in most of it. there are thing i dont understand and there are things i do. but doug has been helpful to me, as well as gregv ,matt and dick lemke. there are good people here
i do not defend anybody , because nobody can say for 100% certain , that there idea is the best. not doug , not greg , not me not anybody. but hey can say . it will be a vast improvement
and that is not wrong
cougar
and the shrink ray was pionted at me