FUXIA 65 / Polystirene Story

This time, more than before, I let the images to talk about the extruded polystyrene foam usage to make an easy hull model shape. This tecnique is not new, but is worth to recall back before the End of 2009. The Main advantage is : CHEAP and FAST !

HAPPY NEW YEAR To ALL MODELERS !

next pics :

3rd sending

4th sending

5th sending

6th sending
including a flash about the Bulb construction using lead sheet of 1mm thickness

AS a conclusion this is the FUXIA 65 design.
The hull shape is an heritage from the AC33 concept

Best 2010 !

Cheers
claudio

Claudio -

Well Done !

I have tried to explain the process many, many times - and never thought of providing a step-by-step with photos. This really explains how easy it is, and how a person can produce one, or many hulls from the same shape. I originally tried the idea back in eary 1990’s and made a plug for a C&C41 from which a hull was produced. From there I have used it for building many of my multihulls - from the current 65M (65 cm) up to my 1.2 F-48/Mini40. My 1 Meter multihull (I only have the remaining prototype ) also produced some light weight hulls. The packaging tape for hull release has been a long standing suggestion as well, since it leaves only a slight ridge where tape overlaps that needs to be sanded out - but since it appears only on theinside of the glass hull, it can be ignored.

Regardless - again, a well done explanation on a method for fast, easy method to try a new idea or design, or build a fleet of boats for family or local friends.

Thank you so much for posting, and a Healthy and Happy New Year to you and family. I know the guys down under are in 2010 already, but we are still waiting. [grin]

Dick

This method looks like a great way to quickly test out new designs without having to build plugs or use wood hulls. Thanks Claudio!

Cheers,
Eric

Many thanks Dick,
Sorry if I was usurpating this section, since I have seen others treads on RG65.
Happy New Years to You and to All the Modelers. Another 5h15min for us in Nice.
Cheers
Claudio

Hi Eric,
yes indeed a very fast way to get a shape.
Actually the RG65 size is rather easy, but no reasons to think that longer hulls could be a problem .
After cutting out the blocs, I glue the printed frames and then using the selfmade hot cutter , I remove the excess but not all.
Then I bond the blocs togheter with the epoxy that do not melt the polystyrene. Attention to avoid to smears resin to close to the finished bords. In one of the picture it can be seen that i remove the inner part of the print e just using the internal left surface as the border to the epoxy. Before sticking the paper prints, I colored the edges in red , any color is good, this serve as a “spy” to track the border to avoid to go any further during manual sanding. Sand paper of P60 o P80 at the beginning and finishing with P180 before using packing tape. For additional pracaution I spread a couple of wax layers all around. It take one day including night for epoxy polimerisation.

Happy NEW YEARS !

Cheers
Claudio

Hi Eric,
yes indeed a very fast way to get a shape.
Actually the RG65 size is rather easy, but no reasons to think that longer hulls could be a problem .
After cutting out the blocs, I glue the printed frames and then using the selfmade hot cutter , I remove the excess but not all.
Then I bond the blocs togheter with the epoxy that do not melt the polystyrene. Attention to avoid to smears resin to close to the finished bords. In one of the picture it can be seen that i remove the inner part of the print e just using the internal left surface as the border to the epoxy. Before sticking the paper prints, I colored the edges in red , any color is good, this serve as a “spy” to track the border to avoid to go any further during manual sanding. Sand paper of P60 o P80 at the beginning and finishing with P180 before using packing tape. For additional pracaution I spread a couple of wax layers all around. It take one day including night for epoxy polimerisation.

Happy NEW YEARS !

Cheers
Claudio

added pictures showing two models made in tre days !

some more pics :

a couples of pictures more
Claudio

Claudio - if you intended to remove the posts, I can physically remove them from the thread - with your permission.
Doing that will eliminate the blank posts.
Just let me know.

Dick

Hi Dick,
first “Happy New Year” !!!
I don’t mind now to let run as is, I was told that perhaps was a better idea to start this discussion in the RG65 dedicated section, that’s all .
Cheers
Claudio

BOAT & BULB must stay togheter !!
Claudio

recalling the two models FUXIA 65 & TRAP 65.
frames are at scale 1:1
claudio

was missing !
Cd