Futaba 4YF OR Hitec Laser 4

Ok guys, I need some help with this one. A little over a year ago I purchased a Whirlwind HS Atlas winch to use in my 3R. When I received the winch, I learned that my cheapo 2 channel radio didn?t produce a clear enough signal for the Whirlwind. Needless to say I have known for a while I needed a new radio. I really like the functionality of the PCMs, but I?m not ready to spend $300 for a 6 or 7 channel radio, when all I will ever need is a 4 channel.

Does anyone have any experience using a Futaba 4YF OR Hitec Laser 4, with a Whirlwind winch? I don?t see much difference between the two, is one better than the other?

<hr noshade size=“1”><font size=“1”>Moderator
-Dan
Sherman Yachts</font id=“size1”>

hmm just check on tower, and it seems that the Hitec has more options…like ATV

I’d take the Hitec…but you know that I am a Futaba guy [;)]

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>-------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm
-------------------------------------------</font id=“red”>

I just looked at Tower and it looks like they don’t offer the Hitec with surface MHz. Wish they did! If I’m mistaken please let me know (it happened once before).

Oh Well!

i myself perfer the futaba. most of the servos you get are futaba. also easy to get replacements plart. (ie) recievers, crystals. and I know you can get it on surface, My submarine uses the futaba 4yf-fm.
good luck
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

Ol Guy,
tower doesn’t, but http://www.servocity.com/ does.

-Dan

In the long run, buying the radio with the most features, pays off in the long run. You don’t know how great it is to have the ability to run multiple boats off of one transmitter and to electronically set centers, travel, expos and dual rates.

If the choice is between Hitec and Futaba, I think the futaba is probably the more reliable unit.

But, don’t give up JR. Check e-bay, you can find some great deals on used or close out new multi channel JRs. They seem to have the best features and the least problems of all the radios for model sailing. And any of their module radios can be converted to 75 just be buying a surtace module.

Don’t discount Airtronics. I’ve got one of their RD6000 Supers and love it’s simplicity of programing. I know they offer their VG6000 in the 75mHz frequency also. They might be worth a look too.

Travis
AMYA #13417
Victoria #599

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

If I was going to go with a high end radio, I would pick up a 75mhz Futaba 7cap from tower. I just think it’s more radio than I will ever need. Plus I can think of better ways of spending the extra $150. [:-eyebrows][:-eyebrows]

-Dan

Neither, buy the 6 channel Hitec Laser 6 =) . Its a fantastic radio I use in airplanes. I traded a surface Laser 4, which was a good radio as well.

Kristopher

so far, usin the Laser 4 for aircraft, it hasn’t made a difference to my sailing abilities!

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands in his pockets & promptly walked away.

Any comments on the Futaba 6EXAS?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAJ2**&P=ML

It seems like a nice package PCM TX, and a micro PCM RX. I would have to get it converted to 75 MHz of course.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company to do the conversion from 72 MHz to 75 MHz?

-Dan

Dan,

I have the former model…I love it…you can adjust all you ever dreamed about and has tons of nice features…

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>-------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm
-------------------------------------------</font id=“red”>

Hi guys , I been using the Futaba Skysport 4YF for about 4 months. Mine came with Nicads And charger. I also own Hitec 40 mhz and 29 mhz, Jr and Silvertone.

The pluses for the Futaba are a nice feel or grip it does not feel like a Hitec. The servos appear to be precisioned in fact . Handles ajustable, Comes with a nice neck halyard(red).

The spare servo horns are plentiful.

Things I don’t like about the Futaba are , the transmitter nicad is only 650 ma I tried to fit a 1100 ma and it won’t fit in the transmitter case. I use it piggy back on the back of the transmitter with velcro.The direction servo switches are on the front exposed. It is possible to see straight through the set, through these switch openings.

I still like it for it is put together properly and is compatiable with a lot of my gear. Typical Futaba built. I use all four cxhannels on a Waliki M7 Marblehead. Lastly , it has a flat base on the transmitter and with the transmitter neck halyard on it sort of sits there , comfortable on my tummy. As I said feels great to use, 6 hours at a stretch.I liked the little charger it came with but I will buy the dry cell for yacht racing in future and use alkalines, for ease of replacing transmitter batteries. The Futaba Skysport 4YF radio looks smart.