Full size hydrofoil challenge

I noticed on the forums for Windrider Rave trimarans setup a challenge for anyone that could capsize the boat. It seems no one was able to capsize the boat on purpose, even though it is a small trimaran with very small floats. The boat DOES have hydrofoils.

Maybe the foiler guys are right?

http://forums.confluencewatersports.com/viewforum.php?f=14

Kristopher

You bet Raves can capsize(pitchpole); when a new person buys one it is highly likely they have no foiling experience(who does?) and that means they will probably have to learn proper set up without any real help since, apparently, many of the dealers have never sailed the boat. But set up properly and sailed properly a Rave is a lot LESS likely to capsize than a “normal” cat is .
As for models the system used on the F3 is much simpler than the one used on the Rave and requires no skipper input after it is initially set up. But an F3 will pitchpole if not set up correctly ,for instance, if the angle of incidence of the rudder t- foil is set wrong it can cause an almost immediate pitchpole.
But as with the full size Rave when it is correctly set up(a one time job) it will foil in as little as 5-6 mph(versus Rave 12 +) and will be far easier to sail in strong winds with MUCH less chance of pitchpole or capsize than a “normal” multihull-not to mention being a lot faster.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

Dick-
I think there is probably a lot of new skill required to really sail the boat well. Having said that, I think its hard to say that a “regular” Hobie would fair well compaired to the Trifoiler, the foiler was a world speed record holder for a while.

It is true that it is difficult to compare little big boats to little boats. However, a challenge was issued to anyone that could capsize the boat. How long would it take to capsize a Hobie 16 or 14 if a challenge was issued. Of course, I know I could capsize a Rave, all I need is a chance…<g>

Kristopher

Dr. Bradfield and I have talked ,in detail, about the comparison of the F3 and the Rave and in fact they can be directly compared. A Rave would take off in the same light wind as an F3 if it were built out of carbon: both of us believe an all carbon Rave could weigh around 240lbs all up which with the 160lb crew would make it almost exactly the weight of a scaled up F3.
Further the foil areas almost directly scale whereas scale effect shows up not in the relative size of the foils but in the loading which is a lot less on the model(but proportionately the same) since size, and scale weight(compared to a carbon Rave ) are about the same.
Another direct comparison can be made in the adjustable bungee’s that control the performance of the wands on the fullsize Rave: they are eliminated on the model and replaced with an automatic spring setup. Some full size Raves are being sailed without wands (for altitude control) and I believe the rc version could be as well.
The point is that there is almost a direct comparison between the two boats with the full size boat much heavier because of the type of construction(aluminum foils,crossarms, mast and rotomolded hulls) not because of scale effect(or vice versa)…
One other thing: you cannot compare the trifoiler and the Rave too well:the Rave sails well in any condition even non foiling conditions whereas from what I hear the trifoler can hardly get out of its own way in winds under 10k. I’ve talked to two people who have sailed both and for handling in all conditions the Rave wins hands down but top end speed is the trifoilers…
Greg Ketterman ,designer of the Trifoiler and now a VP at Hobie is doing a personal project that he says he hopes will produce the fastest off the beach foiler ever–time will tell.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com

[-crzwom] Comrad, you can’t lump the Trifoiler in with the Rave when talking about foilers: the Rave performs very well “around the cans” whereas the trifoiler does not.
The Rave will rip the heart out of ANY cat the same length “around the cans” in foiling conditions.
But you’re right: retractable foils are what it will take to bring a foiler to the point of excellent performance in all conditions; that and being built lightly.
A carbon Rave would fly in 5-7mph and if sailed by an experienced foiler would be extremely fast around any course.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com

I noticed on the forums for Windrider Rave trimarans setup a challenge for anyone that could capsize the boat. It seems no one was able to capsize the boat on purpose, even though it is a small trimaran with very small floats.

The rave at 2:09 must have capsized!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRTBYyNsmic

I love the fade out as the boat goes airborne…

neat vid though…