Footy Schooner (Fooner?)

Got to give them credit. Most of our beer bottles are twelve ounces.:wink:

You will note the winking smiley. I am home now and this computer has full control.

Pete

WHEREAS our pints have 20 fl oz. (the fl. oz are actually the size of yours, more or less.) Seriously, one of the biggest popular obstcles to universal metrification has been the fear of a 20 oz rim-filled pint (our beer is flatter headed than yours) turning into a 0.88 pint half litre and nobody telling the barman!

Only thing that really matters is the bartender MUST keep his thumb out of the inside of the mug when pouring, so you get a full glass. :cool:

Did bartenders really smash their thumbs to make them swell larger to reduce the liquid content? :rolleyes:

Opps -sorry - I posted in a FOOTY thread

No prob Dick - the RULE that a man is entiled to free pint is of unversal interest.

ā€œand nobody telling the barman!ā€

I can imagine the horror of the onlookers as the barman wastes 0.12 of a pint filling each half liter. You would think heā€™d notice!

Hmmā€¦ beside the usual color/colour spelling differences we also have a liter/litre difference. My spell checker is not very cosmopolitan. (Itā€™s on all the time, like it or knot.) There, I snuck one past it. :wink:

Pete

No problem, the box will now be 10 feet (304.8cm) long. Does anyone have a spare J-Boat wagon for me to use? It will be called the DecaFooty. It will comply with the Footy Class rules under the newly adopted ā€œRule of Earlā€.

Whatever became of ā€œA pintā€™s a pound, the world aroundā€? Perhaps those Brit bartenders have thumbs that displace 4oz (118.26ml)?

You have to be careful about these thingsā€” as an Air Canada pilot found when he filled his aircraft with litres when he thought he was getting gallons,ā€” and had to glide for 100 miles to reach Gimli, Manitoba, airport-- only to find it was now a motor race track. He did get it down safely on one of the old WW 2 runways.
Rod

Ahh, the famed Gimli Glider. I just read last month that it was retired now.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=00ad8889-e4ee-4f6a-8b5a-1ccd23f2daf3&k=19959

Pete - you are too beautiful to live. The barman keeps the 0.12 in the barrel but continues to charge the price of a pint. The brewery will blame this on tthe cost they have to bear of replacing legally marked glasses ā€¦

Near where I work there is an old Irish sports bar. The beer is the same there as anywhere, but if you ask for a mixed drink it will be mostly drink and very little mix.

These guys look like they are trying to put themselves out of business, but they own the building so their rent is non-existent and the taxes are probably pretty small. On St. Patrickā€™s day they have free corned beef and cabbage, good quality and as much as you like. They feed the neighborhood including the homeless. In the summertime they often have stuff like hot dogs outside and inside free for anyone who want one or two or three or more.

No problems there. It is a hangout for the local constabulary and fire departments also.

There used to be several others like it in the neighborhood, but this is the last one standing. I wanted to take photographs of the place but got shooā€™d out, they thought I was from a magazine and they might become a tourist spot.

Pete (Who learned his capacity by repeated trials and errors. Mostly the latter.)

A Footy! A Footy! My Kingdom for 30.5 cm! -----to quote somebody or other.
Back to topic, lads. 30.5 cm, forever! Or ā€œThe Boxā€, which ever comes first.
Rod

Pete - OLd Liverpool Joke.

Customer (with freshly poured, untouched pint): Could you put a double Scotch in that?
|Barman: Yes sir!
Customer: Then bloody well fill it up with beer!

I suspect the fact that the joke is old sdays something nasty about Darwin!

:zbeer: [of any reasonable size]

Made One!

Iā€™m sure I read the scale right!
A foot is 1/100 cubit. Right?

That boat looks like it displaces about 1/3,200 of a cubic cubit, give or take a few hundred in the denominator.

Nice square sail schooner, as long as weā€™re on the subject of schooners.

Pete

This is a model by ā€œshipbuilderā€ - beautiful - as are all his models.
http://miniatureships.blogspot.com/2006/10/odds-ends.html

Perhaps Brett could combine worldā€™s smallest with scale?

Pete - thank you for the conversion to cubic cubits - my scientific calculator unaccountably fails to offer them as a measure!

andrew

It was a very rough guess. For a really accurate measure we would have to float it in a Liverpool pint, brim full and see how much sloshes over the side!

Also, with cubits you have to specify which cubit you mean, since there are several versions, dating from Noah on. (or maybe earlier, records are vague that far back)

I could be off by a factor of two or more in my estimate, rather than just a couple of hundred in the denominator.

Pete

Pete,

Worry not, I donā€™t think that Noah will press a copyright suit!

I actually measured it in cun and converted to cubits. Possibly precision suffered.
andrew

I knew thumbthing was odd about the rethult.

Pete

Pete

Very droll:D
Probably the worlds first digital measurement!
andrew