FOOTY... 'Harpy'

‘Harpy’ is designed by Graham McAllister of www.ScaleSailing.com and copyright of Graham McAllister Designs 2008

‘Harpy’ may be built by any individual from the plans presented here and at our web site. The ‘Harpy’ plans and design may not be used for commercial purposes either to produce actual boats for sale or re-sale of the plans/instructions themselves.

Now the interesting part :slight_smile:

Specifications:
Hull length…11 15/16" (303.5mm)
Waterline beam approx…4 3/8" (111mm)
Deck beam…4 7/8" (124mm)
Draft approx…8" (203mm)
Max displacement…17oz (481g)
Bulb weight…7oz (200g)

Radio installation is detailed in the Harpy Notes file. In the photos below are details of the radio installation as used in the foam core version of the build which can be adapted for use in the open hull version as built from the plans alone. Please note that the plans are for a Harpy without a foam core. If you wish to use a foam core which does ease construction that is available from us at ScaleSailing.com

Harpy shares the same hull shape below the waterline as that of the Pond Sprite which has been detailed in the forums here. So don’t let the simple lines of the Harpy put you off, she will perform as well as the Pond Sprite (second place at the Sheboygan Footy Fest '08). The difference is just that Harpy has deliberately simplified lines to make her easier to build from a plan alone.

The sailing photos are of a Harpy built by Paul T.(muddauber) in Florida early this year while it was too frozen up here for me to get one on the water. Thanks for the photos Paul.

Enjoy…
Graham

Thanks Graham!

I’ll add that to my Footy to-do list.

God I love this class!

Hello Graham

I was wondering why your free set of Harpy plans is not in the “Plans” section of the Footy site at: http://www.footy.rcsailing.net/plans.php

It seems like it should belong there along with Papaya III, Cobra, Razor and Bob About. If there are others, they should be added also.

It may be helpful for beginners to see just one more set of plans as they go about figuring out how to build their first Footy. More information for beginners is a good thing.

lol… alot of post banned here… wonder why it is in the footy section?..:slight_smile:

What exactly does this mean?

graham…
sorry … but i was having a bad. day. and noticed. 5 messaged that were deleted in a row… and with some members being banned…
it was a bad attempt at humor.
sorry
Cougar

I wouldn’t consider any of them posting non-r/c sailing posts to be “members” - more like “troublemakers”. Sorry - but with the amount of SPAM coming in - not just to messages, but to personal “blogs” as well, there just isn’t any tolerance for messages about shoes, cameras, gold, etc. Many of these were caught before any “honest. real members” even had time to post a note to moderators.

Also, if you look - the last one was deleted back in JUNE of 2009. Since we’ve moved to this new board upgrade (and speaking for myself) I have not had to delete or ban anyone. I imagine it will be a short time and the “BOTS” will be back again, but for now, enjoy a relatively clean website.

Cheers, Dick

In the early days, you got a call from the SysOp ( today’s moderators) to get you approved. I don’t see why you can’t do that today, with the many moderators we have here ( or on any forum system.)
thx

Administrator’s decision. If you recall, Cougar even suggested a response email (which worked for RG class) but with many fewer subscribers.

Yes, there is a few options, including a verification of email and all take time - resulting in possible “upset” new members if they aren’t approved within 3 minutes of requesting. As you note, there are now 3 of us moderators active - but still have lives of our own.

The recent change brought with it a “super” moderator tool set for Earl and I and being able to identify ISP addresses (and possible ban/block) will go a long way for those SPAM posts coming from Russia, China and India.

Feel free to drop ideas and suggestions to Chad’s attention - perhaps you know of one he doesn’t. In the meantime, Cougar, Earl and I will do our best to keep the forum clean and worthy of your continued interest, reading and posts.

Cheers, Dick

Just completed a “Physical Removal” of the previous 6 or7 banned SPAM posts on this thread.
That should clean this thread up a whole bunch - making for easier reading and no banned posts for viewers to jump over.

Why are my comments missing now??

j/k :sly:

Thanks, Dick

Which ones ?

Your post (#8) is still there and untouched. Only the previously “banned” messages were deleted. As I recall - you only had one post in this thread.

Is there anyone who has built this boat that could help me with some advice?