FOOTY Euro GP 2009

Thanks, Graham

reference, I think is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7prxmUa0fKo
andrew

OK folks sorry for the delay. Bill Haperup and I are working on a proper trace report as I speak!

Last night when we were merely getting drunk instead, I had a phone call from Geof Hill of Fleetwoord Model Yacht and Powerboat Club. As many of you will probably know, Fleetwood is historically one of the major model yacht clubs in the lan. It has been through a couple of crises in recent years, but it is still a force to be reckoned with.

They now want to start a Footy class. Could I please supply drawings of Moonshadow or anything else that comes along! We are moving into the league of the establishment.

:graduate::graduate::zbeer::zbeer::zbeer::zbeer:

Angus,
It seems to me that since you have Himself right there, a better place to start might be with Bill’s “3 series” - that is the Cobra3 and Razor3. They are cheap and easy to build and certainly sail even better than they look. You are certainly welcome to release any details of my rigs to go with them if anyone is interested.
Scott

Scott, I think that is going to happen anyway - and thanks for the offer on rigs. But Jeff Hill, who is mastermind of the Fleetwood project is also a member of the Birkenhead Club - and Birkenhead is a major centre of hi-tech in model yachting, so I guess they will probably be going both ways. Between us in UK we have either been given or bought at least 6 kits for the Polish Opaleks.

The way things are going is very exciting. It seems very liklely that there will be a major international event in Poland next year and pretty likely that arond 3 British boats (and conceivably one Swedish) will be turning up for the next US National Championships next year.

:zbeer::zbeer::zbeer::graduate:

Thanks everyone for a truly wonderful race at the Birkinhead club!
There really is no substitute for actually being in a race, that’s where you find out how theory and practice relate. Lots of stuff to learn and even more theories to take home and tackle…

I have put together a 5 min film on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BeAsrULz6s

I found out the hard way (four uploads of different variations of the same film) that YouTube no longer supports widescreen unless it’s HD.

The background soundtrack should please Angus and if he provides a vocal track I’ll put it in the film!

/animor

Congratulations to all participants at the Euro GP!
I was very torn not to be there but due to ill health I had to be realistic as to my abilities and driving the 4.5 hours and trying to take part.

It is clear that everyone who went, participatited in the true Footy spirit and enjoyed themselves.

Lawrence Hartley has kindly agreed to drive me to the Nationals at Frensham where I hope to be trying to compete with FootyCAT
She is far from Purr-fect yet however she can show a turn of acellaeration i hope will be purr-ee-sentable

Best wishes
AndyT

:devil3::graduate: :witch::p:p

See attached file!

A.
:zbeer::zbeer::zbeer:

Following requests, I’ve put some names to the group picture.

My thanks to Ernie Rice for the picture.

:zbeer::zbeer::zbeer:

A.

Angus,

Thanks for the report and namng the names

While reading the report at 6am this morning I found myself pondering on the principle of Equi-fun:D (as you do)

The Event was, I believe enjoyed by Graham (who won) it was certainly enjoyed by the gnome who came last; and there were palpable signs of enjoyment at most intervals in the field - and among the host club ,and the massed ranks of the spectators

If everyone got some fun out of it (in their own way, to be sure) then it is a broad, strong event

It needs some work - my theory
andrew

We nov have nice pictures of two of the major trophies for Ruro GP, courtsy of Gary Sanderson. See attachment.

:zbeer::zbeer:

Angus,

Thanks for your masterly account of the proceedings it summed everything up very well without using big words (like wheelbarrow).

Without disagreeing one iota with that you said about SLOICE; I would like to say for anyone not intimately familiar with her that the actual boat is the 13mm wide slice in the middle, and the bits on either side are basically floation fairings (I call them bustles).

Soooo, the lack of apparent success might only mean that the current bustles are rubbish shapes, or that I am a pathetic footy driver or any one severial other explanations.

My spirit guide came to me at dawn this morning with some improved and interesting shapes. When the foam-carving fit is upon me Sloice may well appear in fresh form and rock the footy establishment :smiley:

andrew

Thats the spirit Andrew!

Some belated piccies from the Pub on Saturday evening. I’m no David Bailey - but better than nothing I hope. Sorry about the glasses and sauce bottles - just a natural hazard at an English pub meal.

Bill Hagerup, Ian Apps and Mark Holcroft

Trevor Jenkins and daughter Eve

Pawel and Violetta Dejnak

Animor and Inge-Lilla Dobrovich

Peter Hubbard and Bill Hagerup

Gary Sanderson and Andrew Halstead

Angus, Andrew, Peter and Gary

Inge with Flavio Faloci

Krzysztof Litwicka, Gary and Animor
]

Krzysztof and Karolina Litwicka

Cheers,

firstfooty

Hi all been away after event.

Having recounted made a **** up on results

Veenon Gee came 3rd and Trevor Thomos 4th

Very sorry every one.

Now for the good bit had a great time as RO

Thank you for all the help.

And a big thank you to all that came.

For a while I have been trying out a free program for scoring sailboat races called “Race Log”. The program (on a laptop Computer) would allow click-and-drag scoring of multiboat races in realtime right at the pond-side. It lets you use a halfdozen different scoring methods–high point, lowpoint, averaged etc, with any arrangement of extra benefit points, throwouts, as well as all the penalties for DNS, DNF, DSQ etc., etc… In addition it allows the calculation of finishing scores over any number of races within a few seconds of race completion. As it is designed for big boat racing, it does not allow for A and B fleets, or even-odd, together with promotion-relegation, which are common for radio sailing, but this problem would be easily overcome if there was a big enough demand.
This program is ideally suited to radio-sailing races where a dozen or more races may be run at short intervals through one sailing day. As the program carries out all calculations, it relieves the scorer of what can be a very onerous job.
I do not have a laptop myself, so cannot speak from experience about its use at pond-side.

Hi Rod
At the Nationals we had an unfortunate situation where a skipper was so disolusioned with his boats preformance that he was about to leave when he was given the chance to sail another boat and score as tho it were his own.

Whilst not in the rules we all to a vote at the lake side and in true Footy sprit allowed this to happen.

You will have already formulated my question by now in asking if this were possible within your proposals?
Best wishes
AndyT

The ‘simple’ answer is just to pretend that the borrowed boat had the same sail number as the original poorly-performing boat.
Alternately, the original registration process in which sail numbers and sailors names are ‘knitted’ together, could be readily modified to indicate that the sailor was sailing two different boats, the second boat having a (1) added to its sail number for the occasion. I “think” that this would maintain all of the calculations correctly in the program.
Conversely, has it ever occurred that a sailor starts a series of races with one boat but switches over to another because of unrepairable damage to the first? This sounds like a sufficiently likely occurrence that someone must have worked out a satisfactory method of crediting the sailor with the results for two boats.

We made exactly such a provision in the sailing instructions of Euro GP and used it when various boats that had come from afar proved a little fragile.

The ensuing chaos is probably the biggest single reason for the miscalculation of the results. :devil3:

It has to be done, but I agree we need better tools or identification methods. Any serious detailed suggestion. If anyone want to start arguing tis, prbbly better to starts another thread.
:graduate::zbeer::zbeer: