FOOTY Euro GP 2009

Hi,

I have been reminded by various people that many people have forgotten that the notice of race for this competition was issued in December 2008!

So for those of you who left it in last year’s diary, here it is. Please note that we have sorted a couple of typos compared with the original version. I can’t conceive that any of them is of practical significance, but just in case, please rely on these.

We already have ten confirmed overseas entries, so come on and make up a strong home team showing. If you need any advice on accommodation, contact me at any time within reason.

I look forward to renewing old friendships and making new ones.

A.

fantastic :slight_smile:

flavio

Angus that is indeed good news

Here’s some pics of Razor3 for you guys to drool over :smiley:

This is the boat I’ll bring across the pond to show all you Birkenhead Brits what a good Footy looks like!

Scott Spacie built one and sailed it to good effect in Mystic, and he’s tested it against Cobra3 (the USA Nationals winner) declaring Razor3 an equally good boat. I had the opportunity to try mine the last two days in conditions ranging from 2-20mph winds. I am VERY pleased with her handling…hands off on the beat in 15+ wind. I hope to be better prepared for the heavy stuff this year.

In fact, she’s sailing so well that I figure the only thing that gives you guys a fighting chance is that I’ll be sailing her :wink: If Scott were going, you’d all be dead meat :devil3:

Guess you’d better start whistling Yankee Doodle…

Can’t wait to see everyone again and find out if any of this ridiculous and outrageous bragging can come true. Save me a beer :zbeer:

Bill

Bill winning is the same as getting a hole-in-one in golf ~ you end up paying for the beer all NIGHT for everyone !!!
Rgds
AndyT

In that case, Andy, I think I’d better let Gary win again :zbeer:

Bill

Bill, I understand that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all, but if you wanted to build a Tanto you should have just used the panel templates that I sent to you.

Of course your new design goes upwind hands off, that is what Tanto does, sails hands off. And in the one heat that I managed to sail her in Needham last fall, before my winch bagged out, she was way in the lead with Scott trailing by half a leg. I guess that you gave her more than just a look over.

Granted, you’ve narrowed the stern and lowered the freeboard a bit on Razor 3, but still…

Niel,
I think that you are mistaken - perhaps misled by the photos. The Tanto and Razor 3 are quite different designs. Too bad you didn’t bring your boat to Mystic to sail against mine. Let me know when you want to meet at Eisenhower Park and compare boats.

Scott

With all respect, Niel, The common thread between R3 and Tanto is that both are somewhat narrow, V-bottomed boats, though I readily admit that I was influenced by your rudder shape.

Given your reaction, I went down to the workshop to check the panels you sent to me. Except perhaps LOA, I don’t think my hull has a single dimension that is the same as yours. The stern is different, the bow is different, the rocker is different on both the bottom and chine lines, the beam is different, the max beam and max rocker are in different locations.

R3 owes it’s heritage to my original V-bottomed Razor, and even more to Cobra3. It was developed from the computer model of C3, not from Tanto’s panel shapes, with the idea of producing a boat equal in performance to C3 but easier for people to build. First-time builders are still producing the original Razor, but find the additional chines in Cobra confusing. I thought it was time to offer something as easy to build, but with better performance.

Bill

Boyz boyz boyz ~ please lets not get into this ~ back the bus up ~ credit where credit is due ~ I have the greatest respect for you all.

If you think that someone has echoed your sentiments please look upon it as the sincerest form of flattery.

You know where it came from and thats the most important thing.
If you think there is something else then please lets not do our dirty washing in public do it by PM

Rgds
AndyT
(if I have offended anyone please forgive me)

Boat looks HOT Bill. I’m glad we in the UK will be amongst the first to experience it first hand. I almost can’t wait. (A bit like being a kid again…still, I mean). Are you sure you don’t want to bring another hull just incase of damage in transit etc. Plan for all eventualities.

By the way, too much Scottish blood in me to be buying drinks for everyone if I win.

Must I buy an American flag for our team effort or will you bring one with you? A half size one will do. See you soon pal.

Gary:devil3:

AndyT - It would be one thing if a similar boat cropped up in the UK or California, say. Its entirely another if the “designer” actually held my original concept in his hands, and had the templates for it at hand whilst “designing” his “new” boat.

Also, I would not be airing this in public if Bill hadn’t decided to trash talk on this thread. Imitation and flattery, fine, but you also mention credit were credit is due. No credit? Sure, I’m plenty pissed at this point.

Enjoy the Euro GP.

Theirs a time and a place for this kind of thing and it’s not here!
Please take any further comments to http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Any further outbursts like this and I’ll have to cut me dreadlocks off and have a shave ~ on the other hand I might keep the beads.

Goodness only knows what the Wife’s gonna say about me getting a tatoo?

Rgds
AndT
<Putting his foot down with a firm hand>

the beads and the dodgy hair-cut are one thing, but the beard is entirely different matter…for the sake of all humanity “Shave off”

It’s me your RACE OFFICER!!!:slight_smile:

REMEMBER WE ALL SAIL FUN NOT JUST FOR WINNING!!

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BOAT IS READY TO SAIL,ALL RADIO WORKS

AND ALL YOUR BATTERIES ARE CHARGED.

THE START WILL BE AT 10.00 YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

MAY THE SUN SHINE AND THE RACE OFFICER BE BRIBED!!!

TREV.

On behalf of Trev and his crew, can I make a plea that every skipper makes it his personal responsibility to find out where the registration is being done to ensure that the correct entry fee is paid and that you know what radio frequency has been allocated. I realise that we all will want to do a few practice sails, but not until after registration please. I’m sure Trev would prefer not to find out at the RO’s debrief that there are skippers who are not correctly registered which will then delay the start.

Further more, I believe that Angus will be in charge of the measuring box. So make sure that :-

1. Your boat fits the box correctly.
  2. Your smallest sail is no taller than 305mm above the top of the box.
  3. All the sails you intend to use over the weekend are able to swing from side to side when the boat is sitting at your preferred attitude in the box.

Other than these few points, just remember to bring some waterproof clothing and a sense of humour and a great time will be had by all.

See you there.

Cheers,

firstfooty

THANK YOU FOR THAT GOOD POINTS PLEASE DO CHECK.

I CAN HELP!!!

TO SPEED THINGS UP!!

POINT 1. I’VE GOT A BIG HAMMER!

POINT 2. I,VE GOT A BIG HACKSAW!

POINT 3. ERRR GOT A BIG HACKSAW!

GOOD SENSE OF HUMOUR GOT THAT TOO:lol:

CHEERS TREV. :zbeer:

Does the UK have smartphones or are you still on those Bell type rotorary phones that I see in your good TV shows :slight_smile:

It would be nice some unofficial results posted each day and get a sense of who is there and how they are doing from a-far.

Hope you have good weather and I am sure all will enjoy anyway.

For those that cannot be at this 2009 Footy event, there is a chance to see what the venue looks like by searching for: Gautby Road, Birkenhead UK. using Googl Maps. It definitely looks like a man-made pond that is about 500 feet x 200 feet. The satellite image seems to show the wind running down the long dimension of the pond, so I wonder is this is the prevailing wind direction? I looked for a webcam, but there were not any nearby. Maybe next year.

I have posted a photo taken on this pond showing Marbleheads in 2008 doing what Footy’s do best, swimming like ducks feeding from the bottom.

If you back out in Google maps, you will see that this pond is located just to the West of Liverpool, a city known by most of us here in the USA. Go West from here and you end up in Dublin. Wish I could be there. Maybe next year if I win the lottery or get better at Texas Holdem.

Hello Footy World,
i am looking forward to the weekends sailing, even put the boat in the bath today to see if it floated, it did.
I have a small amount of information about Birkenhead lake on my website for those who want to know a little more about the place
elliottyachts.co.uk
This is by no means me advertising, just helping.
regards,
Graham Elliott