foils on rudder

hi

well after reading and studying a bit…still not a pro[:o)]
i was thinking, i ll put some foils on the rudder…what a great idea…but i dont have the know-how…no idea where to begin with…any one some advices

thanks for your help
Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

What kind of boat are you considering doing this on?
Class rules of many classes prohibit it but it’s legal in some classes though whether it’s worth using or not needs to be looked at carefully.
A huge problem to consider, among several others, is that on boats that heel a lot the effectiveness of the foil in controlling pitch is reduced as the boat heels and if the foil is placed at a fixed angle of incidence on a boat that heels it can affect the steering of the boat.
The best candidates (but not the only ones) are multihulls since they stay relatively upright compared to monohulls.
On full size boats monohulls and multihulls have benefitted ; in models much depends on the type of boat you’re considering doing this on, class rules and whether or not the problem you’re trying to correct can be solved in another, simpler way.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

Hi Doug,

well at first it is a monohull…a seawind from kyosho…not a hightech boat, i know…
i wanted to put a foil on the rudder because i have some nose diving…basicley, she s a submarine sometimes…and i thought by putting a foil on the rudder i could avoid this nose diving…
what do you think…useful or??

anyway thx

wis

Wis, my first inclination is to tell you not to do it because of the cross coupling with steering when the boat heels. You might try an “anti- diving plane” attached to the very front deck so you can remove it. It should be angled up about 5 degrees more than the waters surface when you push the bow down to the point of the deck just touching water. Viewed from the front the outboard tips of this foil should be angled up far enough that the foil doesn’t hit the water as the boat heels up wind. I used this kind of foil on a 36" model and it worked quite well. You can’t lose by trying it…(It is ugly ,however, and not very friendly to other boats that get too close to you)

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

I have to agree with Doug. I tried both on my Seawind. The rudder worked at times but only at a certain mph. The rest of the time it was just a drag. The plate on the deck worked better. The main problem with the Seawind is the bow is only 1-1/2" high. I made another Seawind out of glass. Plastic over the hull then glass over the plastic but I continued the glass another 2" past the deck. It would not be a legal Seawind but a one meter. I have also put a anti-dive post on my Venom ( just a verical tube at the nose 3" high) but it has not been windy enough to test. You make it removable by putting in a larger tube in the deck with a plug which also makes it a drainage hole. This is per Bob Sterne instructions for the boat.

Hi

thanks guys for the info…i ll think about that…sounds a bit technical for me, but i ll give a try this winter
anyway thanks for the info

wis