Florida Footy Winter Rally

It may be worth keeping entries open until the day Paul… Look what happened with me and the Rally at Raleigh. Last minute plans work out sometimes.
Here’s hoping you have a great turn out.

Graham

Just to confirm Graham’s suggestion we will accept Rally entries up to and on race day. It would be a great help though, if people let me know in advance If they are thinking of attending, that way we can sort out radio frequency conflicts and make sure we have enough breakfast and lunch for all. I cannot promise loaner boats but will try to have at least one available. Paul

One week to go, and while entries are not exactly pouring in we will should have a fleet. confirmed entries so far:-
Nick Schaub S Daytona FL
Phil Ehlinger S Daytona FL
George Emmert Vero Beach FL
John Egizi Sebring FL
Bill Hagerup New Hampshire
Paul Taylor S Daytona FL
provisional entries:-
Brent Carter Longwood Fl
Chris Coxe S Daytona Fl
Bob Brown S Daytona FL.
I will accept entries up to Sunday 24th so if you are wavering let me know, it should be a lot of fun, and we guarantee no snow or ‘hard water’ at the pond for at least the 36hrs before and 12hrs after the event. Paul :cool:

This side of the pond we often look on you as the nation of ‘can do, will do’ and of tremendous enthusiasm. Why can’t you put up a bigger fleet? For our Mad March Hare at Easter, I’ve got 17 promises already - all of whom rang me or brought it up in a phone call about someting else - and a ‘may come’ list in the middle thirties.

I know that America is much bigger and much less densely populated than America, but I’m looking at travel to regatta distances of 300 miles plus in some cases - on expensive European fuel.

Come on America, you can be as enthusistic about your Footys as we can.

Incidentally, I’ve got three of my member who regularly spend time working in the US who want to put on a regatta your side of the pond - somewhere between North Carolina and Boston (roughly). Anyone have any ideas?

Give it time Angus. A lot of us Footy sailors in the US have been at it for less than a year so we are a bit behind the UK, but we are making progress As you say the geography is daunting, huge distances. For example the southern tip of Florida to the Georgia border is 500+ miles, and that’s just one state. For major events we might have to look for venues that offer other attractions a well as Footy sailing. If you truly have people looking for regatta venues in the US check out the North American’s thread on the Yahoo Footy site, you might find a couple of ideas.

The request is genuine enoughPaul. I’m not sure how much energy they’re prepared to put it into making it happen. From what I understand, somewhere in the region NYC-Philadelphia would suit.

I’d suggest the conservatory pond in Central Park. The only time it is unavailable is from Saturday morning 'til one PM. I’m sure arrangements can be made in advance.

Since I am a New Yorker with no car that would be very convenient for me. I should have my boat or maybe a couple of boats, ready by then.

Central Park is a beautiful venue and right across the pond (if they are still there) are the hawk watchers. A bunch of people who have been watching a nesting red tail hawk for something like twenty years and now have names for all of his (Pale Male’s) and his three mate’s offspring. They often have several telescopes set up if the hawk’s nest is occupied.

I can’t guarantee anything except thousands of mostly uninterested spectators and a few people who will ask where they can buy a footy for their kid.

Niel Goodrich knows a lot more about the conservatory pond than I do, since this will be my first year with a boat, but Central Park on a sunny summer day is a beautiful place where (if there isn’t a major rock concert) there is something for everyone.

Bring money if you want to eat a hot dog or some ice cream, or better yet wander out of the park and save a bundle!

The Inventor’s Gate is at 72nd St and Fifth Ave. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a short walk to the right on Fifth Ave. The Hawk watchers sit across the pond from the model boat house. The road between the model boat house and the Loeb boat house is filled with a constant stream of bike racers, skaters, joggers and pedestrians. If you have nothing better to do, you can sit on a bench and watch the whole world go by.

Pete

I agree with Peter, would be an excellent choice, though I haven’t been there in more than 30 years I still remember it from my stays in NYC in the 70’s. It might be a good venue for the East Coast 1/2 Nationals too if someone was prepared to do the groundwork. Any offers ?

I just got home from Daytona last night, after missing my connection and getting stuck an extra day in Atlanta. I have a lot of things to catch up on, having been gone a week on the business/Footy combo trip, but want to say a quick thanks to the Daytona folks.

I had a great visit with friends, and was very pleased at the enthusiasm and support shown for our Footy regatta. We had nine boats (let’s make it 20 next year!) and lots of helpers and spectators. Paul did a great job organizing a fun and friendly race.

Unfortunately, Cobra 427 suffered considerable damage on the trip. I pieced her back together as much as possible, but she didn’t look pretty! Lessons learned about traveling with Footys.

While doing repairs, I accidently glued my sliding mast solidly in a less-than-optimal position! It took me most of the day to get my rig bent into the right balance point, so I would sail along nicely, then get caught in irons as I rounded the mark or tacked for the start. I only managed to win one race, but it was the last one of the day, so I was able to leave with my head held a bit higher. :stuck_out_tongue:

Notes to self:

Get a bullet proof container and pack it to withstand it being thrown by baggage handlers (I saw them throw it…even though clearly marked as fragile.)

Forget the sliding mast thingy…it works, but no real advantage there.

Remember that thin AC glue goes places you don’t expect it to.

Always win the last race…and try for the ones before that, too!

Bill H

Sounds as if Bill had a rough ending to a good weekend. Despite the relatively small fleet the Florida Rally was well received, with a number of spectators sailing footy’s during the intermissions, and several of them wandering off muttering about the need to build a boat. The weather was excellent with just enough wind to provide good racing with a suitable quotient of frustration when the wind died at the starts or when the fleet were approaching the windward mark. I hope to have a race report to send to Charles on the Class website by late tomorrow. Having been away from my workplace for 3 weeks on a ‘special project team’ , I have a lot to catch up with. Meanwhile I have posted some low res pictures on the Footy Yahoo site, with, I hope, more and better to follow. Let me say though, if nothing else, that the finishing order was not what we anticipated. Paul

Sorry to hear about your travel damage Bill, yet good to see that you did manage to get Cobra in the fleet, albeit patched up. To go through that and still win a race says a lot.

Well done Paul and the club for putting another Footy regatta in the books. I am off to look at the photos and am looking forward to the report. Sounds like you had nice weather there… envious. :sly:

Graham

The race report for the Footy Winter Rally is now available at the Footy Website on the Racing page.