First scratch build

by having the pivot point offset. as you tighten the forestay the leech get tightened. which is not a bad thing, but you need to be able to counteract the tightness of the leech by adding topping lift. if you had no offset, you would have zero leach tension. which is bad.

but yes as you add topping lift(lift up on the club) the forstay will tension. also which will also bring the backstay into the mix, which may then add bend to the mast with will change the shape of the main.

change one thing, and 5 things react… too much bend in the mast, and the main looses it shape… so its really is a balancing act of adjusting and tweaking and finding the right mix. but you really want to have some tension in the forestay otherwise the leading edge of the sail will want to flutter which is not good. Imagane a blade with the leading edge of it wing all loosey goosey… nor real efficient…

in heavy air you will need more tension…and lighter airs less tension…

Took a look at some other rigs, and I think I have it. Please take a look at let me know what you think.

looks much better…

thanks again for the help and the patience. seems like theres a rather large learning curve, but it is so much fun.

wait until you get on the water. the learning curve is just beginning…

so i noticed this afternoon. already had to re-do the lines, since i had them to short, not enough movement in the booms, and realized a bit too late that making sure your hatch is sealed is a very good idea…:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thanks guys, I’m going to check my Jibs tonight after reading through that. I also battle with the terminology and try guesstimate off pictures.
We are finding that we shoot out the house at every opportunity at the moment :slight_smile:

Boat looks great