Finished Pea Pod

I just finished building a Pea Pod sailboat that I started 20+ years ago. ?I started on this forum in March looking for the old magazine article that had the building information. ?With the help of others on this forum, I was sent not only the article but got a copy of the magazine (Nov. 1982). ?A special thanks to Dick Lemke who copied all the information plus some “inspirational” photos of his Pea Pod, on a CD, and sent it to me.

Her name is “Bloopie” (blue pea, get it?). ?She falls within the AMYA 36/600 Traditional class, 36"l x 15"w x 72"h. ?Weighs in right at 10lbs. ?The Pea Pod is a stitch and glue construction, made from 1/8" door skin plywood. ?I hope to have her in the water this weekend, floating will be good, sailing even better.

Here’s some photos:

Nice boat, looks good, well done.

Let us know how she sails, the hull shape intrigues me.

You can see Dick’s Pea Pod sailing at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1451 it’s the one with red & yellow sails.

Correction - that one belongs to a close friend Pat Story from St. Paul Park, Minnesota. Mine, which I didn’t bring that day, is green and clear coat.

I also have some video footage that I need to cut to shorter more manageable length so it can be posted.

I am pleased the project turned out so well for you. I think in medium winds you will be surprised at how well it sails.

For those interested, since we all are accustomed to narrow current designs, this thing is WIDE ! It is fun to build, with basically 4 pieces of plywood. One for eac sideof the hull, one for the deck and one for the transom. Remainder pieces are for keel and rudder. This is a wonderful design for young kids, as they can build it as well as sail it - gives a bit more of a kick when they tell their friends they built it themselves.

Well Done ! This makes me happy I was able to help. :smiley: :smiley:

Well I finally got Ol’ Bloopie wet! It’s been about a month since I finished her, but got sidetracked with a couple of heart attacks. I’m starting to feel a bit better so thought it was time to sail the Old Girl. Not much wind maybe 3-5 mph. but for the first time out, I didn’t need it any stronger. I think she did great. Every now and then there would be a little gust of wind and she would go to the rail and take off. She may not be as sleek as most of ya’all’s boats but she can move when she needs to. She’ll do even better after I tune her a bit. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

Here’s a few thumbnail photos:

Looks real good OL Guy, nice pictures.

nice pics and very sorry to hear about your health!
Wish you all best!

Take care

“Only” a couple of heart attacks ?? You must be “Superman” ! :confused:

Glad to see by the “extra” photos, you look OK and hope you are doing much better. If like me, it is hard to accept that everything “seems” to be fine on the outside, but something is amiss on the inside. My best wishes for a speedy recovery - and even more time on the water.

Isn’t it amazing to see a boat that pretty much defies the current state-of-the-art thinking relative to design - take off and move in such light to medium winds? I haven’t tried out mine in heavy wind yet, but watching Pat (local guy) sail his in some strong gusty stuff, it seems like it goes “rail down” but no further, and all effort is translated into going forward - fast!

Ought to show up at a 36 inch regatta sometime and just see how well she goes. A good skipper with experience and tuning would put a dose of respect in the guys who have purchased those expensive “glass” or “carbon” boats, but who spend little time behind the transmitter. Imagine if a 20 year old design could impact the top five places at a 36 inch regatta? “THAT” would cause some discussion!

Well - done, post when you get a chance at stiffer fall breezes, and above all - take care of your health.