Fiberglass cloth weight for 10-rater hull

Hi to all,
I’m currenty building a 10-rater sailboat, using plans I downloaded from amya website, My question to you -expert builders, is please tell me:

What should be the weight of the fiberglass cloth I’ll be using to cover the hull? AND is that specific cloth weight good for any 50-60 inches long sailboat?

Thanks in advance,
Tunc
Blaine,MN
[:-viking]

Kind of depends on what you plan to use for the “core” material of the composite.

If you are using balsa wood or foam as a core, then 4 oz. cloth should be fine. If planking with a more dense wood (cedar or pine), then you can probably step back to even lighter weight cloth - or, if careful, a clear wood finish is possibility and cloth wouldn’t be needed. ( I would still use 1/2 - 1 oz. cloth just to protect wood from any deep scratches.)

If you are going to lay up a cloth composite hull (fiberglass, carbon or Kevlar) then you probably need to go 2 layers of 6 oz. or similar.

A suggestion: Contact the Class Secretary, Mark Gee via email (see AMYA class web site) and ask him, as he is probably in tune with what the majority of builders are doing. 10r@amya.org

Where do you plan to race it? Edina at Centennial Lakes? Not sure there are any others there, - mostly a “plastic kit” club with the ODOM class just getting started. Perhaps you can convince a few of the Marbleheads to come out and play. I think most have gone off since the clubs direction is toward CR914, Laser, Fairwind, and now the ODOM.

Regards,
Dick
Hastings MN

being a 10 rater you want to keep the hull as light as posible so i would use a carbon weive as light as posible about 2 150gram should be about enough. when selecting glass there are so many diffriant types of cloth weight and weive.

i personaly like twill weive carbon ot the lights wright i can get away with i would prefer to also use more layers than less layers of a heiver cloth especial when using polished carbon because you cant see throught it

Never hold your farts in.
They travel up your spine, into your brain,
and that’s where sh*+y ideas come from.

It is admirable that you are scratchbuildinga 10 Rater, but I thought I would mention a big shortcut – use an old Marblehead hull. There are construction photos of one of these projects (mine) posted in the pub under “summer shots.”

The M hull will only go as fast a Marblehead, since hull speed is essentially fixed by waterline length. But the acceleration of an M with a 10R rig is a thrill ride.

Good luck with this fascinating project.

Best, Michael

Might want to check out the AMYA web site, and the Honest Ahab Used Boats section. There is a 10R glass hull for sale. While glass, it has a lot of work left, inclding deck, mast and sails, but the difficult building part is done.

The asking price is only $100 plus shipping. Get some photos from the owner if still available, and it might be a very inexpensive way to try out the class. You get your builder’s feet wet doing the detail finishing touches. If you like it, you can always build another hull - if you don’t like it, you won’t have a lot invested that couldn’t be used on a different boat, or that you could sell.

Just an alternative suggestion.