Existing Classes

Being new to RC sailing i was hoping someone could clarify the various classes for me (and other newbies). I’ve come across the terms 1 Meter, 1.2 Meter, F48, Mini 40 – what do they all mean? Being that there is such a small following, is it important to build to a particular size? If there are no multihulls in your area, are you ever allowed to race with monohulls (with a handicap applied? or even just for fun??) Also, i’ve read multiple times about smaller tris being more difficult to sail – what’s the smallest size recommended to go? (For me, transportation won’t really be a problem since i have a truck so i can go as reasonably large as my budget and wife will allow) :slight_smile:

A few suggestion/recommendations:
[ul]
[li]First go to AMYA site and look at all of the “recognized” classes.[/li][li]Check local clubs for what “they” sail[/li][li]Send questions directly to the class secretary[/li][li]Become an AMYA member, get their quarterly magazine in which one (or two) classes are highlighted. (It’ only $25/yr)[/ul]Recognized classes usually mean at least 20 registered members to maintain recognition by AMYA. If you buy or build to one of the classes, there is a good chance to recoup your money if you sell - especially if a one-design class.[/li]
Local clubs will select one or more classes to sail. This gives you local contacts for questions and advice. Usually they sail recognized classes which give you opportunity to sail same boat locally, as well as in regional or national regattas. They probably have pond insurance and approval to hold races WITHOUT powerboats on the pond at same time. You meet new and helpful friends sailing the same boat.

If you see one or more boats you like - email class secretary and ask questions. They may also know of boats for sale. We are (generally) an older crowd, and as time catches up with some of us, our wives often sell off our hobby stuff if we are incapacitated/dead. Hey - it’s a fact of life, so itis possible you can purchase a great boat if original owner is no longer able to sail.

By joining AMYA you help support the organization, the classes, the publications and the information that is offered free or at very low cost. You are giving back to the folks giving to you and answering your questions - like I am doing now.

Make this a bookmarked favorite: http://www.modelyacht.org

In the end, nothing prohibits you from starting your own class - either locally or nationally.

Feel free to post multihull questions in that area of this forum - since we reside within AMYA Open Class at the moment. :sly:

The footy class is the smallest class I am aware of. For more info go to the footy forum. Basicly it is a boat 12 inches by 6 inches and it is a easy to build and fairly easy to sail boat.

Good advice Dick.

Become an AMYA member, get their quarterly magazine* in which one (or two) classes are highlighted.

*Model Yachting is a great magazine and, thinking back, it was especially helpful for me when I was starting out in the hobby. Lots of info to get you excited…

yar