Eurgle Winch problems

Thanks Greg what you say rings load and clear.

Had reponse from R2Hobbies people:

Thank you for your reply. Actually, if the items is already defective from beginning and not caused by misused. Please kindly return it to this address here below with your details, order number and brief description for exchange the new one.

Yip Marc …I’m up the creek without a paddle, as they say.

I’m a slow learner but now I know why RMG’s rule the winch world … time to give them a call

Cheers Alan

The word “misused” from R2Hobbies is eating me up !

Guzz on thinking about your situation, you’re “toast’em & send them back for a free return” (plus shpiping) if I get it right? and you are “misusing” the rating 9.5 Kgf on your M-Class, where as I’m using 12 Kgf for right application and because of it’s sub-standard plastic gears causing physical gear damage, it is deemed by the Chinese to be “misused” = no replacement.

Who is “misusing” who here ?

I’ve got to say the method in your maddness is bloodly brilliant !:lol: … I just keep rotating (return) toasted 9.5 Kgf as long as there is no physical damage, I’m in HK every 3-4 months so my shipping costs will be nil, It’s a crazy world !!!

Cheers Alan

but the problem is that you will be leading the race winning the regatta when the servo fails and your boat WILL sail across the pond with no hope of retrieval or repair with the five minute hold you just called… : )

I love my RMG 380 in my ec12. the whole setup, rudder jib trim, rmg is on a rail and is removable, so I need to build my skipjack around the rail system…

Alan,

The key word is “misuse”. Did you misuse them? Did you put them in an application that they were not designed for? Do they meet the torque requirements? They just just went stupid and kept turning and then ripped out the blocks on your boat, in the process they stripped their gears. You’re covered.

Also didn’t they have the jitters when you got them? There’s you cover for “already defective from beginning” clause.

Since you bought several, they don’t know that you put them in one boat. “You’re building several boats over time, when you get around to finishing them and put the winch in, you find they are defective”.

Remember their Engrish isn’t their first language.

P.S.
Yea, the 9.5Kgf is a bit low for an M, but we sail in really light air. I might just order a couple of the 12Kgf for grins and giggles.

Hi friends, i use in 11 months Hitec 785 sails winch servo for 2 one meter boats .- Very good, no problems . Cheers, Gino

:lol::stuck_out_tongue: Marc I have swam after her aready a few times already in the last week … I love my only RMG as well, but she who “should be obeyed” says our bank account does not ! I’m still thinking about the “should” part :rolleyes: maybe time to buy her another new handbag & hide my new RMG’s inside …it helps to take wind out of her sails.

Guzz, I’ve tried every angle I can think of by e-mail but just can’t get through only standard “sorry about that” gets repeated, next time when I’m in HK I"ll call in and drop bunch of them on the desk and ask for talk with their technical people, just wasting time trying to make sense with help desk staff.

Had bit of the bright spark this afternoon and trotted into the local watch maker & asked him if he could make up the a replacement for the stripped plastic gear out of metal, gotta bit of a funny look but he took pity on me … :cool:

While looking at the workings of the winch he put it together and checked it out & told me he thinks one other problem is that the O’ring that sits on the drums spline shaft (above the bearing) is binding against the top casing when it is screwed down it compresses the O-ring against the case and creates a lot of friction & heat, tested it myself and could just barely turn it with my fingers and without the O-ring it turned easily(trash can for the O-ring then) …another tip for you Eurgle list of things to check !

Cheers Alan

They’ve denied you an RMA #? Oh that sucks, I guess my plan has fallen apart :frowning:

On another note:

If you want to go to an arm setup. I highly recommend looking into Hyperion Servos.

Specifically: Atlas DS20-UMD Servo

"All Hyperion Atlas servos are fully programmable to define a range of important and useful features that will help you optimize your radio installation.

A total of 140 degrees available, plus 25% programmable by transmitter, means that as much as 175 degrees of throw can be obtained. So these servos not only guarantee as much control throw as you will ever need, but are also perfect for retract and scale hatch installations. Speed is adjustable from 1% to 100%, and 1% is VERY slow indeed!"

I’ve personally used other Hyperion servos, and haven’t had an issue with them what-so-ever.

I also just finished writing them suggesting that they get into the Drum Winch servo line. If they put out a drum winch, with decent specs, I wouldn’t hesitate ordering one.

My accountant nearly shat a brick when she found out how much I had invested in the ec12… But its cheaper than racing cars, which she likes…

Guzz, I had been sending videos and photo’s with simple explanations but was falling on deaf ears, they offered me replacments if I sent them back so they never denied me RMA, but replacement was only on the condition there was no damage caused by misuse.

I just did not want to go through the hoops of sending them back, writing up tax declarations, insurance & shipping cost overseas etc from here and then finding out later they tell me the problem is caused by “misuse” for a 15 Euro item, it was easier & cheaper just to order more. As it has subsequencly been discovered later by myself pulling them apart, stripped gears would have been deemed as misuse.

Your plan is still safe& sound buddy :lol:

Marc, I’d rather face my bean counter sh*tting bricks than the missus farting crow-bars :lol:

Cheers Alan

my “accountant”, is also the primary bread winner and my wife…

hard to hide stuff.

Aaaa, you’re just chicken :stuck_out_tongue:

Just pack all of them up and ship them as inexpensively as possible. Forget insurance and value declaration, etc., they’re broken and aren’t worth anything. Just put a note in with them stating:

“The servo just kept spinning past it’s end points, ripping out the turnaround on the boat and stripping the gears in the process.” (Which if I remember is the truth)

Wait a couple of weeks (because you shipped them via the cheap “slow boat to china” method), send them an email asking for the status of the servos. They’ll send a note back that they are looking into it. Wait again, send another reminder. Then you get a note saying they are shipping replacements. In a couple of days, you get the replacements. Taaa-Daaaa!!!

I found this is Standard Operating Procedure when dealing with Asian hobby companies. If you don’t follow up, they will ignore the issue hoping it will go away. But if you do follow up, they will take care of it. I’m not sure, but it might be a cultural thing.

:lol::lol: I will be on their door step in about 4 weeks time with bag full for’em asking for replacements, not desire to dolly around with postage, e-mailing and follow-up’s etc.

I’m convinced that O-ring binding is root cause of failures, have one metal gear replacement now and back on the water tomorrow.

Marc big time oops !!! …your between rock & hard place there buddy, you must be buying her handbags regularly :wink:

as long as I buy stuff in small quantities, i’m ok. its th ebig ticket items that get me into trouble…:slight_smile:

Tried out the modified Eurgle yesterday 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 hours !!! ran perfectly, albeit it was only light air, hopefully problem solved (fingers crossed) :slight_smile:

Thanks for everyones help :zbeer: Alan

Alan,
this is a very good new !
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Alan, you says having changed the gear with a metal one but where you find the correct gear ?
Thanks
ClaudioD