Economical RC radio for first time footy?

Would a radio like this work for starting out with a footy?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001645263&I=LXARP0**&P=K

[i]FEATURES: 2-Channel, 2-Stick Ergonomic Design
Super-Heterodyne Digital Proportional For Extra Long Range
Interchangable Crystals
All-Channel Servo Reversing
Charger Connector For Optional NiCads and NiCad Charger
Low Battery Warning LED Indicator
Neutral Position Adjustment For Throttle (Ordinarily The Resting
Position For The Throttle Stick Is In The Middle Of The Stick
Travel. With This Feature, The Stick Can Function This Way, Or It
Can Divide The Travel 70/30, Since You Need More Motion To Control
The Throttle Than To Control The Brake.)
All SMT Circuitry (Surface Mount Technology)
BEC Receiver
Heavy Duty Servo Horns, Standard Size Servos
2 Year Warranty

INCLUDES: One Ranger II N Transmitter No Number
One HP-2RNB Receiver HRCL1100(27MHz) or HRCL1200(75MHz)
Two HS-311 Servos HRCM1312
One Crystal for Rx HRCL21**(27MHz) or HRCL25**(75MHz)
One Battery Box and Switch
Frequency Flags
Instruction booklet[/i]

I need to find a cheap (oh not that word), radio setup to start with and I know nothing about RC. Since the Razor hull is made, I can’t go much further till I get components to put in it. Looks like this kit has the receiver and servos with it, so it might get me moving forward with the build.

Opinions?

Thank you,

Hi Justin

Just some general comments as I don’t know specific devices you list other than ad says it is “AM” radio.

There are 3 basic types of radios as listed below:

AM - Amplitude Modulation is likely more sensitive to noise interference and generally lowest cost.

FM - Frequency modulation is better for noise rejection and cost slightly more.

Think about your car radio reception quality on AM vs FM

SS - Spread Spectrum is newest technology, but most expensive. These radios have a ton of advanced features, some useful, some not for saling. They use 2.4 GHz frequency like modern cell phones and many more products. Biggest advantage is you don’t have to switch crystals to avoid conflicts w/other boats.

Skippers w/money are upgrading to SS and you may find some good bargains on AM or FM types. Check ebay and www.craigslist.com or local clubs (sail or model planes & cars) for used deals.

Servos - Footy’s generally use smaller servos and torque is the key factor. I am using HS-81 for sail and smaller HS-55 for rudder. Check Hitek site for specs (weight, size, torque and list price). Servos come w/plastic or metal gears (mg). I stripped my HS-81 plastic gears & replaced them with a mg set.

Because of the pivot point being somewhat balanced, McRigs can use a little less torque.

I am sure others can supply some specific help.

Hi Justin,

While the radio would work with a Footy, you might find it’s components to be a bit on the heavy side, depending on which Footy design you choose. Because of their small size, most Footy’s can only support a small amount of gross weight, anywhere from just under a pound to just over 1-1/2 pounds (or 330-600 grams). The extra weight of the larger ‘standard’ size servos (about 40 grams each) & receivers (over 20 grams) that come with the less expensive radio sets means that you will have more weight inside your hull and less weight in your keel bulb for a given displacement. There are even some designs out there where the designed weight of the entire boat is about equal to the weight of the radio equipment alone! This means that you’ll need to choose one of the designs that can support ‘standard’ size components, and then be sure you build it as light as is practical. I believe that the Kittiwake kit can handle ‘standard’ sized components, and for the money, is hard to beat for a first boat. It also has the added advantage of positive flotation, since there have been several sinkings of Footys reported…

Regards,
Bill

shoot me your snail mail, and I’ll send you a futaba 2 channel attack tX, rx and a set of crystals. just promise to cover postage…:slight_smile: all you need to do is buy your servos. I use the futaba s3115 servos http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNCV8&P=7. you can go smaller for the rudder…

Marc

Your offer is very generous. Send me the postage bill and I will send you a check for the amount.

Find my email address at AMYA club TanglewoodMYC in Florida.

Maybe someone has an excess small servo.

Justin is building a Razor

as soon as justin gets me his addy…I will pack it up when I get home…

I made the shift to spektrum a year or so ago so I am getting rid of my extra stuff… I will still keep on 2 channel hitec ranger around as a backup. and for days when I loan my extra boats out…

hi
if you want a cheap radio. that works well. i have 4 of these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGRM7**&P=0

iuse this for most of my “fun” boats" and dont have a problem your radio has been used alot too. the ranger is a good radio, but the single strength is not all that great. if you are seroius about racing. you need go get a 2.4 gig radio. like a spektrum or a fasst. but if all you need is a radio to run even a us 1 meter or a IOM around your local pound. the cheap radios will do it

good luck

I sent my e-mail address to your “visitors box”? PM was not enabled. Sounds great to me!!!

Thank you

This is all very amazing and very unexpected.

Thank you to all involved here.

I’m sending him the older version, grey case… never any problems ijust got hooked on the 2.4 gig

I too have a small contribution. Justin - could you e-mail me yoursnail address!

:zbeer:

Marc,
You wouldn’t happen to have a 1966 big-block Corvette that you’d like to unload. I’ll pay the postage!!

Happy Yachting - Kip

If you have a 1966 ford Mustang thats vintage burgandy exterior, black interior, straight six 200 with a matching numbers 4 speed built in the Ford Plant in Metuchen, New Jersey. We can make an even swap…:slight_smile:

Marc

Delivery Confirmation™ Label Number: 0103 8555 7496 0880 6537 on the way justin (well when the postman picks it up tomorrow) I did toss in a couple futaba s3003 servos and an old battery tray as well…

Somehow, I can’t help but feel that the ’81 Volvo 240 wagon up on blocks in my backyard isn’t going to get me much.

Happy Yachting - Kip

but its a safe car…:slight_smile: and its now a classic…:slight_smile: