EC12 Regattaa pix and some IOM Goss

Pix of the EC12 regatta plus some IOM stuff at

http://www.oziomz.com

Nick Sun 31 July 2005

Nick Lindsley
Australia 0418 727-727
Intl +61+418-727.727

Well done Nick. Nice Pond. Maybe if you get the chance, could you post a map on how to get there from the H/way? Looks like a beaut regatta. Did you actually go in any races?

Steve

Well, I did a race or two. #09 was a spare boat and it was shared by Darren, Tom Butler and me. Tom didn’t do much better than me so naturally I feel a lot better than I might have. Map? Yup will find one - tho’ 2nd turn off after you cross the Pine Rivers is the way to go, but loop back over the highway and see Frank Lowy’s new masterpiece (Zypermarket!) and we are down on the other side of that.
Map attached I hope!
NL

Nick Lindsley
Australia 0418 727-727
Intl +61+418-727.727

Download Attachment: nlmap.jpg
52.62KB

Thanks for the plan Nick, have you any pictures of you, Darren and Tom doing your ‘turn’?

No - too ashamed.

Nick Lindsley
Australia 0418 727-727
Intl +61+418-727.727

C’mon Nick, not going to let a little old boat beat you, it must be worth one more go and it is all about “anticipation”.

Did you notice when turning around a bouy that the transom moved around the bow? And how you had to keep both hands on the transmitter at all times? If you sail big boats, that they sail like those?

Hmmmm. I do sail big boats and they DON’T sail like an EC12 EXCEPT for the ancient gaffer I sailed a month ago in the wooden boats regatta. Very similar. You would heave on the helm, roll a cigarette, mentally sequence your own DNA, and then, eventually, watch it go past head to wind…maybe.
Pix http://home.bytesite.com.au/~nick/oziomz/gafferjunecrops/2005gaffers.html

Nick

Nick Lindsley
Australia 0418 727-727
Intl +61+418-727.727

Download Attachment: gaffer300x225.jpg
5.77?KB

Nice pics, did you take them?

Steve

yup

Nick Lindsley
Australia 0418 727-727
Intl +61+418-727.727

Hey Nick,

I think you are exaggerating the handling characteristics somewhat. One can’t expect a low aspect long keel boat of around 11kg to handle like a light displacement high aspect fin keel IOM of some 4kg.

Yes they are different but to quote you from your web site ?Stately they appear to be but there are surprisingly fast. I found out today as I sailed Graeme’s against a fleet of IOMs and I didn’t come last. In fact I damn near beat Brian Lever’s Cockatoo and he only just caught me at the end of the last upwind leg - and he (and the boat) can sail well. If I could fit one fully rigged in my 758cc Subaru Sherpa (my chick magnet) I’d be tempted to get one as well.? indicates they are enjoyable to sail.

I personally sail three classes EC12, IOM an Marblehead and enjoy all. Sailing an EC12 for a while will teach good boat handling skills like sheeting off before bearing away, steering throught tacks rather than flicking across and anticipation all of which will be of benefit across classes

Graeme Turk

Ok Graeme, you caught me out. I didn’t mentally sequence my own DNA while I waited for it to tack. I’ll 'fess up - I lied.

You speak truth, Paleface.

NL

Nick Lindsley
Australia 0418 727-727
Intl +61+418-727.727

While Paleface was telling the truth, did he mention the new set of sails from the deep south , helping him on his way?

Seeing you guys a having a Quasi EC12 page, I might ask if anyone has some photos of the Mini-America’s Cup event that happened in Perth, Western Australia in 1987 at Lake Bilbra, for research?

Steve

For information the Brisbane Radio Yacht Club Inc is hosting an Australian EC12 Class Championship at Springfield Lakes (25kM south west of Brisbane CBD) on 5/6 November 2005.
This is the first time an Australian Championship for the Class has been contested since 1991.
The Notice of Race and Online Entry form is available at www.rcyachts.net or www.radiosailing.org.au

Boy , your quick off the mark Graeme. Still there are only two kinds and one of them is DED.

Liked what happened in your state Champs. Must be pleasing that your state’s hopes and dreams have come to fruition is this new/old class, The EC12s. I heard our NZ freind Frank has had a slight heart attack, when he was down on the South Island doing a EC12 regatta. His lady said he is ‘grounded’ till he is fully recovered.

There is interest in the Australian event from some of the EC12 skippers in Sydney and at least 4 will be making the journey north to take the ‘Auld Mug’ to the great south land (NSW).