EC-12s Lake Rosemary, Needham M.A. Light Winds

No visible wind on the water, but enough to sail an EC-12!
Warning, It’s almost like watching paint dry, or Golf on T.V.
http://vimeo.com/31171507

Watching paint dry? Watching grown men/women hit small balls with sticks? Yup, both incredibly dull.

Anything involving things that float with sticks & cloth to make them go is infinitely preferable.

Perhaps we also have some golfists amongst us who will disagree, but wasn’t it Mark Twain who said that golf was a good walk ruined?

Regards,

Row

Hah yeah, I agree, I was mostly referring and joking to the fact that it was really, really light winds.
It wasn’t boring…

One of the 12s is mine, and they are probably the only class we could have realistically sailed that day.
The video is really a testament to how well the 12 actually sails in light air.

Anyways, wasn’t it Churchill that said that!

Glad you enjoyed the clip. I’d slice clips together and make a longer “film” but the free services on the Internet only allow short clips.

Churchill said a lot of things, but I’m pretty sure Mark Twain made the ‘golfist’ comment first…

Great to see a relatively traditional hull shape doing so well in those conditions - what are the EC12’s like in 10 - 15 knts?

Row

Golf, love the game… one of the “sports” you can drink beer and play plus I get good exercise as I don’t use carts…

but I also enjoy sailing in light winds…the concentration it takes to keep the boat moving as a mistake is usually not something you can recover from…

I love my ec12. its not a boat that I excel at, but it is my most fun boat to sail… when she get moving its really pretty. graceful, sensuous, sexy almost

all it takes is a ghost of breeze to get 1200 sqin of sail and 25lbs of boat gliding through the water…

break any of your guys coming down to Charleston for EC12 NCR next week?

I just had my boat re-built as it was rough, it was done by Luscomb/Ramos. I have an “ultralight rig” and I only sail it in light winds to about 7knts. It sails fantastic, and Chuck did a great job with it.

The boats get a bit unruly in the higher winds, especially on the downwind legs. Running wing on wing.
I can’t say with certainty how it handles in high winds as I only have an A suit right now, but they are mostly a light to medium air boat. When the air gets as heavy as 15kts, I’ll probably be at home on the couch watching golf! But if If there is sailing to be done, I’d rather have a high aspect ratio boat, like my Marblehead.

That’s really why I bought the Ec-12, as it is a polar opposite to the M, and a manageable size (referring to a AMYA J Class)

[QUOTE=marcsmith;]
I love my ec12. its not a boat that I excel at, but it is my most fun boat to sail… when she get moving its really pretty. graceful, sensuous, sexy almost
break any of your guys coming down to Charleston for EC12 NCR next week?[/QUOTE]

You and me both.
I find it to be a very difficult boat to sail well. Although I have only 1 year at the sticks with it.
Thats probably why the elite sailors chose the 12, as it’s tough to master, takes serious focus, and patience.

No one from my immediate area is going to the NCR, and I personally need ALOT of practice with the 12 before entering something like that.
but I’m sure the Luscomb/Ramos contingent will be there.

if everyone felt like that then ther’d only be 1/2 dozen people sailing at nats…
I have no visions of grandeur…there always has to be a “tail end charlie”

Dave will be there I’m sure.

Dave is a great guy. I may have seen your boat at Dave’s shop when I went by to get a new mast for my 12…