drum or arm?

I have noticed that it seems there is lots of classes using arm servos for sails. I use a drum winch for sails.

My question is what is preferred by others and why?

I prefer drum because without having to worry about the arc the arm swings through it takes up less room in the hull.

19 out of 7 people have trouble with statistics

I use both; the drum winch allows you to pull a lot more line than an arm and provides constant force. An arm can sometimes be quicker but force varies over the arc of the arm.
Arm winches are generally less expensive but definitely takeup more room than drum winches.
I wish there were some fast,inexpensive drum winches on the market…

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

i use a drum in my IOMs and an ARM in the us 1 meters. it all depends on the boat. and how much stree you are going to put on the arm. you need to consider room in the hull, and how much line you are going to need to the booms
i perfer the drum myself
cougar

I’ve also used both, and now, almost exclusively use drums. I prefer how smooth they are and they do provide a more constant pull throughout the range. If it’s a boat I have built myself, I prefer to use a closed loop system above the deck. It’s not as pretty, but easy to build, maintain, and troubleshoot (I have never actually had a problem). I’m with Doug though, I’d like to see a winch of Futaba 5801 quality at a lower price. Oh well.

Dane -
are you using the Hitech or Futaba drum - or are you up at the Guyatt level? (If you don’t mind my asking)

Intersting posts…soon I ll need to get a drum winch…
Guyatt====>way too expensive for my budget…

So the question is ; Futaba or Hitec?; and what battery to use with??..I am planning to use a 5 cell batt…any suggestions???

Thanks

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Beware the Futaba 5801-when it gets jammed it fries; the other Futaba’s are excellent. Note that the 3801 can be converted to 180 degrees simply by Radio South.

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

Doug;
thanks for the advice…
I guess I’ll get a Hitec…

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm