DRONGO OF THE WEEK !

[:-dunce]
If we have a <font size=“2”>DRONGO OF THE WEEK</font id=“size2”> award then I would have to claim it for this week. [:-irked] On Sunday we had a most pleasant days sailing at one of our two sailing sites on a man made fresh water lake.
After sailing my AC15 all afternoon I decided to bring out my class II land yacht which some of our club guys had not seen before. Up in the carpark the wind was just to light to show its paces so I took the craft down to the walking path around the lake where the wind was still light but more free flowing. You can see it coming can!t you![:-jump2][img]../forum1/images/speech/icon_speech_yeah.gif[/img][img]../forum1/images/speech/icon_speech_yeah.gif[/img] Sure enough a nice gust and the bloody thing takes off over the edge and into the lake.[:-pirate][:-propeller][:-paperbag][:-mouse][img]../forum1/images/speech/icon_speech_oops.gif[/img] Now one of the great things about building Land Yachts is that you dont have to worry about waterproofing the electrics (normally) so I thought I had lost the lot. I fished it out with a stick that was handy with around 30 seconds of total submersion. Suprisingly everything still worked OK. MAN was I annoyed with myself.
What a PRICK[:-ghost]
After getting everything home and drying it out the only casualty was the Futaba S125 sail winch which still refuses to function [8]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

Hey Ian -
it probably qualified as a trimaran - but maybe you need a bit more buoyancy in those tires, my friend !

Forget about the condition of the landyacht and tell us what your “club guys” <u>REALLY</u> SAID !

Now <u>that</u> would be really funny ![:D]

Ian, I hate to admit it , but that’s kind of funny. Maybe someday you’ll be able to laugh at it too[:-bigmouth][:-bigmouth] I’m not sure that’s the way to promote rc landyachting.[:o)][:o)] BTW, I’ve halfway considered attaching floats to my K-1 landsailer & calling it an F-48 multihull [:D][:D][:D] I concluded that it wouldn’t work very well, but it was a fun mental exercise.

Regarding the dead servo, I would suggest you take it entirely apart to thoroughly dry out. Check for corrosion in the connections too. I had a Futaba S-3801 servo totally submerged after my ODOM was sunk by a J boat & it worked fine after it dried out.
Bill

ps: What does DRONGO mean?

[:-moptop] <font size=“3”><font color=“red”>DRONGO</font id=“red”></font id=“size3”> is a Australian term for what Americians would call a Dumb Arse? [:-graduate]
Could also be termed, Fool, Dumbo, Twit, Dickhead, F###wit, Ass, Drip and I am sure that every village , city, state and country has their own term for such a person.
I am lucky to be blessed with a sense of humour and I don`t take myself too seriously, so I am over the initial embarrassment and am able to tell the tale. [:-sleep]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

Ian,

Herewith I make you our Aussie language teacher…go ahead and teach us! [;)]

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

[quote]Originally posted by IanHB

[:-moptop] <font size=“3”><font color=“red”>DRONGO</font id=“red”></font id=“size3”> is a Australian term for what Americians would call a Dumb Arse? [quote]

Ian,
I “googled” the word & came up with this:
“The Concise Oxford Dictionary says that a drongo is “a black bird of India, Africa, or Australia, of family Dicruridae” and adds that in Australian slang it means “simpleton”. Which just goes to prove that the Aussies are a bit daft, since a drongo is very definitely not half-witted. Slightly mad, perhaps, but not stupid.”

Were you able to get your servo working??

BTW, you’re from NZ, right? [:-bonc01]
[:-bonc01]

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Bill Korsgard

[quote]Originally posted by IanHB

[:-moptop] <font size=“3”><font color=“red”>DRONGO</font id=“red”></font id=“size3”> is a Australian term for what Americians would call a Dumb Arse? [quote]

Ian,
I “googled” the word & came up with this:
“The Concise Oxford Dictionary says that a drongo is “a black bird of India, Africa, or Australia, of family Dicruridae” and adds that in Australian slang it means “simpleton”. Which just goes to prove that the Aussies are a bit daft, since a drongo is very definitely not half-witted. Slightly mad, perhaps, but not stupid.”

BTW, you’re from NZ, right? [:-bonc01]
[:-bonc01]
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I thought the Down-Unders were speaking the same language??[:-bonc01][:-bonc01][:-bonc01]

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

There are some differences, but we understand each other - most of the time.

Muzza

Hi!
No, DRONGO is Swedish for Down-Unders. Compare Scandinavians that are Up-Overs. Well, here I have run into problems: Swedish turnip… I have to refine my arguments…
Regards,
Booster

Hi!
I have done some research. It is a mis-spelling of Drogo. Drogo, 801-855, was son of Charlemange of the Franks and his third concubine Regina. The deminutive form of Drogo is Droguet. Which is synonymus to combattant. Hope this have sorted out the problems.
Regards,
Booster

Well Booster got the word right. But the problem is, we are really up there!
To use the venacular in the everyday sense it to say “How did a drongo like me and a pack of drongo like you’se get on to a subject like this”. Just thought that an Aussie should have a go. No we only speak English, the kiwis and aussie are just good friends.

Thanks Steve!
I had some hard time Googeling up this information. Well, now it’s done.
Regards,
Booster

Just to get you thinking try this. A farmer in Australia thought he would deversify. So he crossed (mated) A sheep and a kangaroo and came up with a Wooly Jumper.