Does fibreglass like melted lead?

Hi there, i’m just going to put ballast into the hull but i’m not sure if i can do it with a liquid lead:scared:, even with the hull immersed in icy water. Has anybody ever done that?
Thanks for help

I don’t have time to expand on this right now BUT DO NOT ATTEMPT THE PROCESS YOU DESCRIBED.

i have time to expand on it. do you want to still have a face? fibreglass does not like molten lead, and molten lead, does not like water. as said before - DO NOT ATTEMPT WHAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED!!! it will not work, and will result in bodily injury. (if you do attempt it, be sure to have a video camera going, so someone can post it on youtube! lol.)

The best way to “fill” an existing and hollow keel - is to purchase lead #9 or so birdshot, fill little by little and mix with epoxy or polyester resin. Tamp it down add a bit more and so on until you reach desired weight. Depending on how big/hollow the keel is, you could cut up and stuff bits of lead into the hollow keel, again using resin or epoxy to keep in place.

Consider pouring the liquid lead on a hard surface (concrete) in a thin stream. When cold, pickup and cut into small pieces.

Fiberglass (or plastic, epoxy, et.) will not resist hot, molten lead.

Avoid your original idea as other have already said.

In the fiberglass hulled EC-12 class, melting and pouring lead into the boat which is sitting in the water is a regular occurrence. It is not without its dangers, but it is done.

Pouring lead is dangerous.Don’t overheat the lead well above the melting point. Don’t breath the fumes. Protect your eyes, skin, etc. Long handled ladle and/or heat resistent gloves. Make sure no water comes in contact with the lead. Make sure the hull is dry inside.

I am not saying you should do it, but some people do. I do.

If you choose to proceed with this, do so at your own risk. I assume no responsibility or liability.

I concur with S. Vernon. I have poured molten lead into the keel cavity of my EC12. The fiberglass boat is in the water box at the time. The water is at ambient temperature. I did this with some trepidation and great care. Above all you must not let any vestige of water into the cavity that you intend to fill.

I have also poured lead into a plaster of paris mold, also with some fear. When using a plaster mold, it needs to be dried for a week or two to get all the water out. Otherwise it will boil the water and make scary sounds or worse, the mold will explode. I also warn you about pouring hot lead onto a concrete surface. Concrete is likely to contain some water. If so it will pop and crackle, even produce small explosions. If you want thin sheets of lead, then pour it into your mamas cookie sheet or other DRY metal surface. Come to think of it mama will not like you ruining her cookie sheet.

If you know someone who does ammunition reloading, they will have the equipment and experience to help you.

Like Scott, I issue this disclaimer; Pouring hot lead is a dangerous process. Do so at your own considerable risk.