Deleted

Deleted

While this issue is great and I highly recommend it I ,unfortunately, must point out a mistake that I’ve discussed already with Jack Gregory: the microSAIL! ad included in this issue was supposed to be a full page but,instead, a “business card” ad featuring a boat microSAIL! does not produce was included in its place.
This is unfortunate but Jack was first class in handling the problem.
I, too, would like to thank all those that make Model Yachting possible!

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

this sucks
i dont have my issue. yet
does it have any info on IOMs?
cougar

Slightly off topic, but is the AMYA “capping” the numbers of designs that they will recognise? Currently over here the only classes that are recognised is
IOM
Marblehead
A class
10 Rater
EC12

Hopefully the multi’s will be recognised in the near future.

In my opinion having few recognised classes means those that want to race competitively have little choice. It just means more people in less classes, rather than the other way around.

Peter

The AMYA has not yet put any limit on the number of classes and I hope they don’t! We still don’t have a recognized spinnaker class, canting keel class or multihull class.
There is a twenty boat limit to recognize a class-some want that moved way up-I (and a lot of others)don’t.
One thing that has happened here is a proliferation of recognized, inexpensive classes; the largest AMYA class is one of the least expensive. That’s good for the future because it gets new blood into racing at a time when many of the old established classes are losing members.
Some people, notably in the multihull classes, don’t see any value in AMYA recognition; I think that is wrong and that recognition is important for the growth of these classes.
At least here they have the option to work toward recognition…

Doug Lord

I think that you have missed the point of my previous post. The ARYA will recognise classes once there is established racing of a paticular class in all states in this country.

The point was that if the AMYA is going to recognise every single class that manages to get minimum numbers, they are going to find that they are trying to cover to many classes. Realistically they could end up with 15-20 classes which in my opinion is ludicrous.

Peter

There are 24 recognized classes in the US now; it’s about choice and maximizing participation. It is also self regulating and has been responsible for the growth of the AMYA at a time where older recognized classes have been fading.
This is a big country and there is room enough for everybody. Proposals have been made in the past to limit classes in artificial ways which would gurantee the stagnation of the organization.
The way it is now there is opportunity that translates to the POSSIBILITY of a new exciting class coming along that will mesmerize everyone. At this point, low price has been the primary growth factor and if there had been limits imposed a few years ago, as some have suggested, there would be a much smaller AMYA now.
It works and provides a new “base” of sailors for all the “established” or expensive classes to try to educate so that when these people are ready to move up they have a clear choice.
Classes are decertified if they fall below 20 boats so its not a case of just adding class after class…

Doug Lord

Deleted

This is one of those times that I realise why it is a good idea to keep out of sailing politics!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Hypocritical? I don’t think so: I co -founded the F48 class and contributed the name “Formula 48”. I worked hard with you for a long time to get the class rules right.
I’ve built and sailed a Power Ballast equipped F 48 catamaran and NUMEROUS other multihulls.
I have personally invested THOUSANDS of dollars in a revolutionary new F48 multihull and have worked for nearly two years on design ,development and testing. The fact that it has taken longer than was anticipated is unfortunate but in no way mitigates my tremendous committment to the class.
I feel that the class should go all out to encourage members to join the AMYA and to get the class recognized as soon as possible.There are tremendous assets within the AMYA and elsewhere that can be brought to bear in the promotion of the class once recognition is achieved. There are hundreds of AMYA members that would take another look at multihulls once the F48 class achieves recognition and begins holding regularly scheduled races.
Many of the top people in the AMYA have been VERY SUPPORTIVE of the class and have been no doubt stunned by the fact that the class is making no major effort toward AMYA recognition. This should change!

Doug Lord

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by lorsail

I worked hard with you for a long time to get the class rules right.
I’ve built and sailed a Power Ballast equipped F 48 catamaran and NUMEROUS other multihulls.
I have personally invested THOUSANDS of dollars in a revolutionary new F48 multihull and have worked for nearly two years on design ,development and testing<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

where’s the boat?? got pics, maybe some movies…anything???..guess the answer is NO! …as usual…

[:-bulb]BUT thanks to Dick and Peter, who ARE promoting multis, the class will (is going to[:-jump][:-jump2][:-king]) grow!![:-captain] [;)][:-pirate]

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Pictures and video of the F3 that uses the same:

1. type foils
  2. amas
  3. type rig
  4. crossarm
  5. altitude control system/automatic stablity system
    as the new boat are available on my website.
    Wis, thank you for your thoughtfull, and informed comments(!)

Doug Lord

Deleted

Deleted

To get this topic back on the track … I’ve known about the IONA for a couple of weeks now and have already started building my own copy :-))) For those interested; I’ve already made some pictures … http://users.pandora.be/Aquaholic/iona/

Updates will follow if anybody cares …

Greetings from a rainy Belgium
Wim

Looks like you’re off to a great start! You might consider starting another topic “IONA” under the New Classes section. You could then post updates and others interested could have a place to go to post questions etc.
I’d like to be able to follow your progress; good luck!

Doug Lord

i would also like to keep this on topic. if you read the topic. it is about the model yacthing magazine. Not who built foils?, i am still looking forward to seeing my issue. i look forward to each and every issue. for those that have the issue. IS there any information on the IOM division?
waiting patiently
cougar
long live the cup[:-angel]

cougar
the iom was feature on issue number 114

What a great magazine.
John Hanks has sent me the Spring 2002 Issue # 127 featuring J Boats.
I might have to look at joining the AMYA (NZL branch[:-angel])so I can get it.

i would have loved to see the j class issue
but i have to back order it
cougar
long live the cup and cris dickson