dads 10r gone mad

hey all,
it was a sunny tuesday (but it was blowin a fair bit down here)
me & the old man decide to take his 10r for a sail at the National Water Sports Centre on Patterson River (victoria aus), now there is only 1 problem with this spot, it is only like 50m wide so you can have as much wind across it & ya wont get no waves, like tuesday we had 15-20 gusting to 30 easily (donno bout the other side, i sorta nearly got the boat stuck over there cause i couldn’t tack it, kept gettin blowin back, mm not fun)

1st wipeout for dad (whilst he was chasin a couple o M’s)

next there was him tryin to kill them (but they sorta got away)

then there was the bits where he did his damndest to sink the 10, but he only got the bow under to the jib boom & a fair bit back past the mast (didnt capture those bits cause it happened when i was changin batteries in camera god damn it!)

then there were the times where he got a fair bit of speed outta it!

still tryin to nosedive that b****

ohh & there were the jumpin tacks

& then there were the tiny waves to try & surf

Just a thought inspired by the pics …

anyone else think that perhaps entire rigs need to move toward stern to reduce the pressed down bow in heavy air?

Consider: We move jib as far forward as possible to help neutralize weatherhelm caused by a lot of sail area located behind center of lateral resistance (CLR).

The wind/sail “effort” is located directly over the narrowest part of the hull - having the least buoyancy.

The mast is closest to bow, which also helps promote/inspire “tripping” and bow-stuffing.

The keel - being forward also “inspires” a forward located rig … which in turn helps increase the impact of the above handling problems.

Just some thoughts … :hypnotize

Well you now know what to buy dad for his next birthday.:linux:
A B rig.:idea_125:
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=2]Those marbleheads should be toast when you fit the correct size rig to the 10R, in the meantime it will always be a struggle and a risk of breakage.:headache:

Once you have a smaller rig I would like to encourage you both to try some timed speed runs.
Then post them on this forum under the speed thread.
10 Raters are IMHO the fastest ballasted monohull model yachts on the planet.

Great pictures but you may like to consider editing the size back for some on here with dial up downloads.
I have high speed plus a 19" LCD so i`m OK but I have previously been requested to cut back the size. Thanks mate.:jap:

Can you tell us what is the 10R design and are there any more in your club?

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Errrr - are those really Marbleheads - or some type of local class called an “M” ?

Reason I ask, is theat I though 10R and Marbleheads were of approximatley the same “general” size (depending on formula). You know - longer length, less sail area, or vice-versa. In the photo both length and sail area look considerably larger on the 10R than the “M” - and the “M” just doesn’t look like 50 inches in length compared to size of buoy.

Maybe I am wrong - but … ???

dont know, but I see a big “M” on the sails…maybe they use some C rig or something!

But I also thought that M’s and 10R’s were almost the same size

Nah, a “true” 10 rater is considerbly longer than a Marblehead.:fire:

Forget those “Dual Rated” monstrosities 50" overall with 1500 sq in of sail area, im talking about a boat with decent overhangs that increases its waterline length from 55" upright to 60" when she heels and weighs all up around 10 pound with 1363 sq ins of sail and smokes in any sort of a breeze.:ihat:
The true “Formula 1” of radio yachting.:king:

now you make me want to “have” a 10R lol:tand:

mm, theres a slight prob with buyin a smaller rig, it seems i cant afford to buy any of the components for it.
it is designed by R. Attard.
umm, as it aint my club (its dads club) i don’t know if there are any other 10s racing there, its an old design (like before 98) so i don’t expect it to beat those m’s at the moment.

the boat has .95722 on a waterline of 1.305 which means the rating is 9.993

dont want to sound $#%#" but 98 isnt THAT old or?:drink:

An oldie but a goodie. And I bet it would still be competitive. :splat::batman::disguise:

donno about competitive, but it lets us have fun & i recon thats all that matters.

ohh & by the way that is the same hull shape (both outta the same mould) as my 10r with the canting keel!

The AC-15’s measure out about 11 on the 10r rule, and will spank a 10r in most conditions… unless you have an older 10R that has a longer waterline in high winds, they are the fastest thing on the water. Back in the 80’s the 10R’s were commonly in the 70"+ range LOA… but then the class became more popular and was raced on more venues, and it had to become more competitive in light air. The hulls got shorter and the sail area went up and you had a more balanced boat.

Any pilot will tell you that when you try to make an aircraft do two things, it ends up doing neither well. Make a fighter, or make a bomber, but don’t try to make the same machine excellent at both. Consequently they polarized into light air and heavy air boats. It depends what your wind conditions are and what type of boat you have. If you are fortunate enough to have more than one… well… you pull out the club you need and take a swing.

I have one of the older longer hulls, and in 16+ knots, nothing can touch it. In 15 and under… uh oh… almost anything will beat it. It also removes the need for a “B” rig… it’s “A” rig was designed for everyone else’s “B” rig weather.

dads is about 60 in loa & about 51 lwl

:magnify: [SIZE=1]… [/SIZE]:tapedshut [SIZE=1]… [/SIZE]:sly: [SIZE=1]…:smile3:
BIG GRIN !
[/SIZE]