Current Projects - not a foil in sight!!!!!

grin With apologies to the cutting-edge guys:

Displacement hull #1:
The EC12 has new paint - black topsides and DayGlo yellow below the waterline. The booms have been rigged a la the EC12 construction site - excellent way to go!!

Displacement hull #2: The Robbe Atlantis is getting new, scale bottom paint this weekend as well as all kinds of new, rig-snagging scale details.

Displacement hulls #3 and #4: Canterbury J construction starts next week!!! One for me and one for my dad.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Good to hear from you Rob! Hope all goes well with the boats and life in general…

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

Hey Rob,

hope your not getting rid of your other displacement hull - the Fairwind!

good idea on the Dayglo bottom paint. Easier to spot those nasty weeds between races. I left my bottom white on the Fairwind (as you probably know) and at the regionals this year there were a lot of guys with darker botooms that could not see if they had weeds or not. I could and was able to get rid of them when necessary…

• Will

Will Gorgen

The DayGlo looks good, BUT it’s difficult to apply. I’m a spray-can guy, and Rustoleum DayGlo is watery and somewhat translucent… The Fairwind is getting new sails and was just rerigged internally, using simple crossbeams to mount the servos. It’s a 20-year-old boat and I got tired of popping the hatch and being greeted with the smell of rot…

My Star 45 (awaiting a new, competitive hull) was basically impossible to sail well until I put a contrasting bottom paint on it. The hard chine, combined with glossy dark-green (my bad) hull made it impossible to tell what it was doing.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Rob, Dayglow is a bit harder to apply. The secret (not a secret at all) is to make sure you primer with WHITE primer. This is the only way to get the full dayglow color and effect. Dayglow painting over anything else will take a ton of paint and will never achieve it’s true color or ‘glow’ effect.
Also the problem with dayglow is that if you want a smooth finish, you need to wetsand any paint job. When wetsanding dayglow, you loose most of the ‘glow’ effect.