Climate Models Mount Gay 30

I have just purchased this boat from Climate Models and I was wondering if anyone else had either built this boat already or is currently building one and would like to share some tips.

Also, hints for tuning and sailing would be helpful. I am more or less a beginner at model sailing, but am fairly experienced in modelling in general.

One immediate question that I have is: is there an advantage to using a sail arm servo with 140-180 degrees of travel versus one with 90 degrees of travel. Aside from the obvious increase in the amount of sheeting hauled in per stroke, I’m curious if there’s an advantage in end-of-travel resolution. Those two things seem like the only real advantages, and I’m not sure if they’re enough to make a difference to a novice like myself.

Interesting that nobody has one or would like to discuss the boat. From what I can gather, it seems to be one of the faster, more fun-to-sail boats around. It must certainly be the fastest 30-inch boat available.

Well, in the interest of sharing knowledge, I will repost again in the near future once I get my boat built and sailed to let people know how good (or bad) the boat is.

Andrew,

I am surprised Peter (the proprietor of Climate Models) did not chime in here, at least on the technical questions you had about the servos and tuning. He problably did not want to appear to be self promoting.

I am interested to see how you like it. A few of us have been contemplating a “champion of champions” regatta where the national champs of all the AMYA classes are invited to a regatta to compete against each other. Obviously such a regatta would need a neutral boat. A bonus would be to get a sponsor for the regatta. The MG30 seems to fit the bill on both counts. It would be a neutral boat that none of the skippers would necessarily have a lot of experience with. It is a relatively inexpensive boat, so you would not have to have a huge budget to supply the boats for the regatta. And with the Mount Gay name on the side, you might be able to get them to sponsor the regatta (or at least supply some cool hats!).

Anyway, let us know how you like the boat. We are interested…

• Will

Will Gorgen

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>I am surprised Peter (the proprietor of Climate Models) did not chime in here, at least on the technical questions you had about the servos and tuning. He problably did not want to appear to be self promoting. <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Exactly the case Will.
We are here for our customers, but any questions will be answered in a private message, or by E-mail, not on the main board.
We will alert everyone to new products with a quick blurb, and a link, but direct advertising is best left where you have the option of seeing it like a magazine or a special board just for new products.
Just like everyone else, I can not stand blatant advertising being pushed on me when I do not want it.

Peter R.

Visit www.climatemodels.com

I have seriuosly considered that kit.Would love to hear how it sails. Looks like it will be a great performer. How is the quality and how long did it take to get one. I have spoken with Peter. Sounds like a great guy to deal with.

Darrin

I found Peter to be very responsive and helpful with my questions through email. I think they’ve got a good business going and would like to see them do well in the future.

Without going into too much detail, the MG30 kit is “decent”, but definitely requires a good amount of experience with model building to get it completed. I received mine and have decided to improve upon some of the things included in the kit (mast/booms, hatch covers, vang, etc.).

I don’t know how many MG30 models are out there, but it would seem to be a great opportunity for a high-performance sailboat class. I understand that these little boats far surpass the performance of any other 30" model class, as well as being pretty competitive with the US1M class boats. And the kit isn’t really all that expensive when it comes right down to it.

It would be interesting to see the AMYA open a class for the MG30 and make it somewhat of an experimental class, where only the hull and parts below the waterline are controlled. I don’t know how closely this relates to a one-design class, but with some minor modifications, I think this boat might be a formidable competitor with either the US1M or IOM classes.

Hey Andrew,

The AMYA does not control what boats are recognized classes. The classes themselves control that. The AMYA “recognizes” those classes that maintain a membership level of over 20 members. So all it really takes is to get 19 of your freinds to buy the MG30 and join the AMYA and you can have yourself a class…

• Will

Will Gorgen

Andrew: Just was wondering the basis of your performance claims about the MG30? What other r/c boats have you been racing? What other boats have you sailed the MG30 up against? What is the bais for your assertion that the boat will “far surpass” others of its size?

FYI, the MG30 wouldn’t qualify in either the US1M or IOM class since the boat is too short. As to AMYA classes, Will has it exactly right, all you need is 20 guys with boats to sign up and you can start your own class. As to “high-performance” r/c sailboats, you might be surprised to know there are already a number of very fast, sopisticated r/c racing classes. Not sure where you are located, but you might want to check out a Marblehead, AC Class, 10R or even a major IOM race and see what is currently out there.