Chiming in from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good Day ALL!
I am looking forward to having joined this community. I am new to the sailing side of R/C. I have R/C planes, cars and trucks, robotics and the list could go on…
I also sail. I have been sailing since I was 12 years old. Everything from Laser’s to Fireball’s to Cat’s which I currently own. have an AMF Trac 16’. Fantastically fun and FAST. Gives Hobies something to envy! Learnrd to sail on a 42’ in Vancouver> My parents eventually bought that boat and my sailing FATE was sealed.
The R/C side of sailing just kinda fell into my lap. I recieved a Robbe Comtesse from a friend just recently. I have sailed it well over a dozen times in the past couple of weeks. It is now in dry dock being stripped down and refinished, but have already been on the prowl for some more “toys”.
I look forward to participating here and in the sport!

Cheers

Kevin
Calgary, Alberta Canada

Kevin if u our still in Calgary and sail RC boats let me know.

the Calgary Model Sailing Association. Our club has been recently formed by a group of model sailing enthusiasts in Calgary. We sail and race a number of different types of radio controlled boats. We have been meeting once a week to sail and race our boats, and to talk RC sailing.

Boats That We Sail:

International One Meter (IOM)
This is the most popular radio controlled racing sailboat in the world, and the most popular at this event. As of publication of this document, we had 10 IOMs registered. The IOM is a ‘box’ rule, meaning that most design and build parameters are restricted. However, hull shape is open, and you can probably see some different shapes sailing today. The rules are designed such that a home-builder to build a competitive boat out of material available at local hobby and hardware stores. You can tell an IOM by the distinct ‘circle-I’ logo on the sail.

Vela
The Vela is available ready-to-sail from hobby stores such as PM Hobby Craft. Although not quite as fast as an IOM, it represents an inexpensive way to get started in RC sailing.

Marblehead/10R
The Marblehead and/or the 10R is the biggest boat(s). The size of these boats, and the open development rules mean that an internationally competitive boat is fairly expensive, and has a short competitive life.

One Design One Meter (ODOM)
Similar in size and shape to an IOM, the ODOM is a strict one-design class. This means that you buy the kit from the manufacturer and to race level you must assemble it exactly as specified. The ODOM has a ‘OD’ logo on the sail.

Victoria
The venerable Victoria is one of the smaller RC boats, but there are large racing fleets around the world.

For further information, you can LIKE our Facebook page: Or by email:
www.facebook.com/CalgaryModelSailingAssociation sailorbaak@yahoo.com

Other links of interest:
Canadian Radio Yachting Association - www.crya.ca
American Model Yachting Association - www.theamya.org

Andrew

Kevin,

Are you still sailing?

Andrew