Cheyenne the CAT!

Cheyenne just made it around the world at an average speed of over 17mph! Shattered the world record by days!
Some have been asking about rc cats vs tris well Geronimo the Tri is still at sea trying to catch up-we’ll see!

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

What can you say? Awsome does not discribe it!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

is cheyenne the former play station? (steve fosset)
ed

Ed, Cheyenne is the former Playstation.

Doug Lord

awsome does not discribe it at all you would have to have rocks in your head to be on the trip doing 17mph + surfing down waves pitch black at night down the the souther ocean i thought that the volvo guys were crazy but a multi is just stupid (jmho)

When the Apprentice knows more than the Mentor its time to quit!

I’m stupid then! I would kill to get to do it, sod the risks!
17mph is a bit conservative, I think they hit 38 knots a couple of times at least surfing…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

You know when you think of the large number of fast yachts that have raced in the various record attempts and round the world races-some at very high speed in the Southern ocean- how many instances of hitting ice or a growler can you remember? I can’t remember a single instance of contact resulting in damage.How many boats with crews lost due to heavy seas in the last 20 years in round the world races?(not incl Fastnet or Hobart) Not one as best as I can remember…
These guys are pro’s and for them I think the risk is far less than those of us that haven’t done it, I imagine, because of their expertise and seamanship. “Stupid”? not hardly…

edit:sp
Doug Lord

Thats true, although there has been a few keels fall off due to fatiuge, which I guess you could argue was due to wave action coupled with bad design. Not so many recently it seems.
Have any of the big multis ever gone over down there? The biggest risk to them always seems to be sudden squalls, not big waves so much. You would know to slow down when a big swell is running, but if a squall hits without enough time to reef or depower in some way you’re in trouble!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by lorsail

How many boats with crews lost due to heavy seas in the last 20 years in round the world races?(not incl Fastnet or Hobart) Not one as best as I can remember…
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Actually, there have been a significant number of skippers lost, especially from multihulls in singlehanded events over the years. I don’t have info here at work, but two for sure that I remember were the Campbells - NAIOMI and her husband - again whose name I cannot immediately recall. Late 80’s and early 90’s took their toll on singlhanded skippers.

Closest that I know personally that came “close” - but thanfully was rescued (lost his trimaran) was Jan Gougeon (WEST System brother) who spent some time floating on his capsized trimaran in the gulf stream after being flipped by a rogue wave! Picked up by a Russian freighter, abandoned his tri.

idd love to do the souther ocean leg on a whitbread 60 or new 70 but i dont know about a cat or tri dont really like the idea od not having lead on a keel to keep the boat upright heaven for bid that the yacher does a 360 i know i would rather be in a mono. because lets face it all it takes is a one second lapse in concentration or one rouge wave and its all over red rover. dont know of any actual deats but im sure that the is. i know that the guys are “pro’s” and all but i know form experoence that pro’s dont make a fast boat but a good crew that works together well will beat a boat full of rockstars every time. because the rockstars are allways trying to prove them selfs and brag off to each outher. and on long legs like the volvo you have to trust the outher watch and all the blocks on it with your life. and there is not that many people out there that i would trust controlling a boat going at say 30 knots surfing down waves in the middle of an ice berg feild when you know that over the next wave ther could be an ice berg just wating to sink a small llittle yacht doing 30 knots. with no one to come rescue you and your mates

When the Apprentice knows more than the Mentor its time to quit!

Keep in mind that in a round the world single or multihanded race, to the best of my knowledge, there has been only one death due to capsize in the last twenty or so years: Mike Burke(?) --after rounding Cape Horn in an Open 60 MONOHULL his lead fell off the fin and that was that…
Not too sure of the guys name but quite sure of the boat and the incident…

Doug Lord

HA HA HA HA HA
Steve Fossett’s retired from record setting sailing. He wants to concentrate more on his air stuff & land stuff.
Does anyone wanna buy a 125’ Catamaran, Has broken lots of records, has a few problems that need fixing, excellent race record & a lot of other things including Round The World Record!
Come on someone, buy it, then we can build the biggest Remote control boat in the world. hmm, it would be able to compete in Booster’s VOR RC race, probably beat all the other boats in the world!!
ROFL
Rob